X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scaleracing View Post

We have them in stock in the Retail Store at www.132slotcar.us

Happy Holidays
    Ordered! Looking forward to trying it out.

Comment

Started fiddling with the controller this weekend, I think I'll like it once I've worked through its eccentricities.

BUT..those considering buying...it came with a female XLR plug. Our club, and most others I've seen, use the female XLR at the driver station, with the male on the controller.

I confirmed the controller uses standard black/red/white wiring, with red as brake.

So I tried to buy a female to male adaptor so I could use the controller without swapping out the female XLR plug. Couldn't fine one anywhere locally.

So I made one using two male connectors.

What I DIDN'T check was to see if Avant wires their XLR connectors by the same standard my club uses, which is the same standard Professor Motor uses.

It doesn't. Yet another validation that it's prudent to fuse the driver's station.

Comment

yeah, I made an XLR adapter for Elvinator for his hammer controller, 'cus we use the same mic jacks and wire order as you guys. It's a male/male with each end marked so they don't get confused, and the wires cross from the hammer side to the standard side. I think it's just the white and black positions are swapped.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
          yeah, I made an XLR adapter for Elvinator for his hammer controller, 'cus we use the same mic jacks and wire order as you guys. It's a male/male with each end marked so they don't get confused, and the wires cross from the hammer side to the standard side. I think it's just the white and black positions are swapped.
          Actually, none of the wires match. For PM it is Pin 1 = black, Pin 2 = white, Pin 3 = red. For Avant it is Pin 1 = white, Pin 2 = red, Pin 3 = black.

Comment

Oh yeah... I wired up the adapter, and then found that I had to swap the black/white. My bad memory.

Comment

I have both green and black controllers and my original black Hammer has the same lag at start up that was described by jeremycolbert. It's noticeable, and no big deal. Usually just keeps me out of trouble in the first turn. My concentration during a heat can lose more than that. However...

I do have the new M and it states that it is safe with any motor including 1:24. Can anyone confirm this? It would be nice to be able to use this with Parma 16D's and Super 16D's which is about the top level those guys run around here. But I would hate to have to send it back to Alan with a simple "Oops" attached to it.

Comment

Safe with any motor, not a statement I can support.

WOW that is a brave statement, safe with any motor. I cannot recommend that, but the Hammer will handle up to a 20 amp peak draw. So a 16D should be OK, I have run Group 12 motors with a Hammer and the controller was fine. But on a technical track where a lot of time is spent at lower throttle setting I would be careful on motors above the European types normally used in Club racing.

Heat will be the issue and the Hammer Controllers I saw run in Europe with Group type motors ran cooling fans.
                Alan Smith
                SCI Owner.
                www.scaleracing.com
                www.slotcarillustrated.com
                www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
                www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Is it possible to set the M up for my classic Scalex track? I'm now using a PM and some older Parmas, both with no brake
                  (red wire not hooked up) and both work great.

I tried to hook up the M but the car seemed to be at full throttle when I touched the gator clip to the terminal, so I stopped.

Update: Switched the polarity but still no luck. No lights or read-out on the controller and when I put a car on the track it seems to be at full throttle. Not sure what to try next, any ideas?
                  Last edited by goldfinger132; 10-12-2013, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Have you reversed the wires inside the handle?

As well a re-training the Avant Slot Hammer to be Home Set polarity, red being positive and white negative from the power supply. You must switch the red and white wires inside the handle, as Home Sets are wired this way. The Hammer comes wired and set up for a Commercial Track where the white wire is to the positive on the power supply and the red wire is negative.

I can test for you, and replace the controller if there is a problem.

Hope to see you at the Nov 1st - 2nd Scaleracing National Finals at www.132slotcar.us
                    Alan Smith
                    SCI Owner.
                    www.scaleracing.com
                    www.slotcarillustrated.com
                    www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
                    www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Thanks Alan.

I guess I should have mentioned that my home track power setup is not stock, rather a custom unit that I made using scalex wall warts (the kind supplied with classic home sets). I have four warts total, one for each lane to prevent voltage drop when a car in another lane flies off.

My PM works on commercial tracks as well as my custom home unit, so I was thinking it would be same for the Avant M. ?

BTW the PM and/or Parma work when wired- White to +, Black to track, Red to ground.

Yes I'm gonna try to make it to the Nat race but will only be running the scalex Camaro if I do. Oh and maybe the IROC class.

Comment

Working...
                      X