Brm?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brm?

Hey guys and girls. I'm thinking about getting into BRM cars and had a few questions. For those of you who have them, how do they run out of the box? How fast compared to a stock slot it? What is the motor rated at? Do they come with stock magnets and if so how strong are they? I'm a home plastic track racer so I like them to handle well without a lot of tuning. What's the quality like and are the fragile? What are the stock tires like? Thanks. Any info is greatly appreciated.

I'll give you my feedback, but for sure there are more knowledgeable folks when it comes to these beauties.

For those of you who have them, how do they run out of the box?
    Probably not as well as if they've been set up properly by the new owner; although the recent Camaro and Mustang being distributed by Scaleracing in North America are, as I understand it, all properly tuned up before being shipped. So a good start would be to get one of these from a US supplier.

How fast compared to a stock slot it?
    Apples and Oranges. Different scales, for one thing as BRM are predominantly 1/24th. And differently constructed - though like Slot.it, they seem to keep getting more refined as race cars.

What is the motor rated at?
    Not sure about that, as I think they've used at least two different cans in their different releases, in the quest for improvement (these cars are favourites for long, punishing enduro races that are dependent on sustained top performance - probably gear mesh setup is one of the most important factors, there).

Do they come with stock magnets and if so how strong are they?
    I don't think so.

I'm a home plastic track racer so I like them to handle well without a lot of tuning.
    What kind of track? Probably Carrera is the only one suitable for these large cars, with the exception of the nifty little BRM Mini Cars.

As for tires, the first question to my mind is what do you normally run? Rubber, Urethane, Silicone?

Take a look at the front page of the SCI Magazine, here. Scroll down a little ways and you'll find articles on the Trans-Am cars, the Revo Slots (which may be up your alley, they're 1/32) and the NSU Mini Cars. Also, a few minutes spent on the next article about the 24 Hours of Tacoma is worth a look, though a couple of years old now.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Last edited by Wet Coast Racer; 01-21-2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if they come with magnets?

Comment

yes, magnets are included but not always installed. There are pre-cut brass weights available too for those who want to tune their cars in the more traditional manner. Designed to fit in areas within the chassis itself. Clever way of doing things.

Comment

Hi Tony,

Which class(es) are you interested in racing? There are very different options for you.

Group C - Has traction magnet in a pocket of the chassis. These cars are very robust and take a good beating while holding up well. Sure you'll knock the mirrors and wiper off, and you'll want to reinforce the wings on the pedestal mounted variety (Toyota, some 962's; a little Shoe Goo is all you need), but after that, they are extremely user-friendly. They are probably the most entertaining class we run around here. We run them box stock, without weight, and with magnet on magna-primed MDF/copper tracks. All the real tuning we do is to make sure the axles are set up correctly (side play, gear mesh), body is floated, and that you have the tires trued (critical!). There is a thread about truing tires here:

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=71928

With the tires trued, axles set up, braids fluffed, you should be good to have a bit of fun!

The Trans Am cars are also excellent stock out of the box. We raced them at the 2016 24h of Tacoma on foams and we had a sprint race with them at the 2017 race (basically their retail launch/debut). These cars are also extremely tough, as displayed during the 24, surviving full throttle wall impacts when "rider"-ing down the front straight, with some even dropping to the floor. They were super fun on their stock rubber tires at this year's sprint race and have no provisions for a traction magnet. Set up the front and rear axles and off you go.

The remaining cars have an aluminum or plastic chassis with sprung pod and will require a bit of set up to optimize for your tastes. The categories are Renault Megane, GT (911 GT1 and McLaren F1), Classics/Legends (917 & 512), and the mini-cars.

I have no experience with the Mini cars (NSU, Gordini, Simca). They look like they'll take a little bit of set up with the cambered rear axle, but others can probably confirm this.

The Meganes, GT's and Classics are very fun to run and have a pocket for a traction magnet, but I don't think they come with one in the box. A call to Alan will set this answer straight.

As Wet alluded to earlier, if you don't have 1/24-sized track, you will be challenged to run some of these side by side or solo. The Gp C are super wide and the Classics even wider. They don't work on Scaley Sport- you'll need Carrera 1/24 track to run them on plastic. If you're already running on wood, you should be fine.

The Mini cars are specifically intended to race on the plastic 1/32 track, regardless of track brand. They look like they'd be pretty fun to run and it'd be interesting to see them on plastic.

BRM make an excellent product and I've found that as long as you true the tires and set the gear up correctly, you'll have fun with them.

Chris

Comment

The BRM saloon car are my personal favourites on my SSD track. 6 of these at the same time, makes up for some very close racing. Good looking models, running very equal

Comment

I have carrera and Ninco track. The Ninco track is up now and they run very well. Non magnet,true the tires, a little weight it’s all good. Group C, classics (917k and 512’s) Mclaren GT, and the new Trans am cars Yeah boyeee!!!
              Last edited by mab0707; 01-22-2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Tony
                No experience of racing magnets in a BRM. Racing them sans magnets they are simply wonderful cars. The modern era Mclaren and 911 are excellent, as to the Trans Am and 917/512 cars. Group C are good too.

On the Tacoma tracks which are all magnet free lap times are little different between slot it and BRM.
                Hope this helps.

Perhaps you could expand on your present racing style then the responses could be better and match your experiences.

Comment

Thanks guys. I just want to make sure it's something I want before I drop a ton of money on Carrera track and BRM cars. I have a pretty nice Scaley set up with a 20' straight and am planning on doing a Carrera version to add BRM Porsche 917s and Ferrari 512s. I want to be able to enjoy the top speed and hope that 20' is long enough, I will try mag-less in the future but I want to make sure I can enjoy them out of the box. I don't want to spend that much money and feel that I've wasted all that coin. I've had a ton of heart ache and wasted cash on cars that were not worth the money or time. Plus, I really like the looks of their version of the 917 and 512.

Comment

Originally posted by tony parker View Post
                    Thanks guys. I just want to make sure it's something I want before I drop a ton of money on Carrera track and BRM cars.
                    Off topic maybe, but have you considered doing a routed track? It sounds like you would have the space. You could ensure the width was as wide as necessary.

Comment

I don't have the space for a permanent setup. It's convenient to have one I can take down when needed.

Comment

Really out of the box is not possible.

Except maybe Scalextric and Carrera on their own track systems.

BRM Cars are great once set up for the track you plan to run on. But anyone who sells them as ready to run out of the box is doing BRM and his Hobby a huge disservice.

Almost all slot cars need to be set up and BRM are certainly in that category.

That said we set them up for Customers no extra charge, except parts that may be required.

Having been Distributing and Racing BRM Cars for over 10 year we know most of the set up issues that arise.

We are even a Partner with BRM in building the ScaleRacing/BRM Trans Am's having invested with them in tooling and building the USA cars here in Tacoma WA USA.

Happy to advise on set up, supply cars Ready to Race after building here.

But no BRM ( except maybe the USA built Trans Am cars) are ready to run. Plus depending on Track system, tires etc even they will benefit from Set Up.

Alan Smith
                        SCI Owner.
                        www.scaleracing.com
                        www.slotcarillustrated.com
                        www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
                        www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Tony,

Alan's message rings true if you're looking for outright speed and within the constraints of any class rules your racing group may have in place. It is possible to make these cars extremely fast with hot motors and sponge tires and weights, etc... Don't let that deter you from checking out these fantastic cars. They are capable of being enjoyed with just the parts in the box. If you're just racing at home, it should be simple to set them up to enjoy them.

As an example, the Group C cars we run with my local group are extremely simple and align in philosophy with the BRM rules. We run box stock. The rules are that simple- if it came in the box when you bought, you use it on the car. We run anglewinders and inlines together, and allow anglewinder parts to migrate to inline chassis (specifically the racing guide). The only deviation from just using the parts in the box is we allow any gears for the rear axle of inlines (BRM crowns are a bit fussy and take a bit of patience to set up properly).

Yes, we run them with the red motor (their lowest spec motor) and the stock Shore 30 tires (their hardest compound), and with the traction magnet in place and no weight. Other people may think this is boring but it is really an equalizer among the cars and allows the driver to make the difference.

We have some of the closest and most enjoyable racing of all our classes with these cars. All you need to do is set them up properly and they are a blast. And gorgeous!

If you have set up questions, call in to Alan or post up here and someone will be able to help you. There are many people who do an excellent job setting up their BRM's and there's a lot of knowledge out here for them.

Chris

Comment

Last week I ran the Penske Camero. Beautiful car as an aside and out of the box it was simply superb. We run on routed and copper tape. Stock tyres hooked up just fine. Like you I do like the 512/917 era, they are gorgeous with enough liveries too.

Comment

Working...
                            X