Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRM Trans Am setup tips

Hello all

As my BRM Camaro came assembled from BRM and not Alan and the tuning team (which is probably Alan as well) in the US - I would appreciate any tips on things to do to optimise the performance.

I have only run the Camaro a couple of times now and I have been impressed with how well it goes but if there are some particular tuning tips for the BRM Trans Am that I can do to improve the car then that would be appreciated

cheers
    David

All I've done to mine so far is to sand the tires (SuperTires where are you?) and I use NSR tire oil before I put out it on the track. I also replaced the braid with a thinner type. ScaleAuto makes a T-nut and spring that might work well in this instance as well. It goes between the two chassis plates and acts like a suspension of sorts between them. I did add a spacer to the non drive side to equal out the rear track. One tip, if I may, don't remove the body screws when you take the body off, just loosen them and spread the body to remove it. I also have an Immense Miniatures head on the way to replace the bobblehead thats comes with it.

Overall, I am very pleased with the Camaro. Well done Allan and crew!

Comment

Have either of you swapped gears or motors? Iím trying to improve the braking. Iíve put the Carrera D124 motor in with a homemade motor mount. That helped a little.

Bruce

Comment

Haven't changed anything yet - I noted the braking as well. I may have a look at a different motor - will talk amongst the chaps that run them and see what they think.

I noticed with the new BRM Renault 8 they seem to have put ball bearings on the axles - bit of a bummer as it means I will probably have to change the brass ones out on the NSU and Simca

David

Comment

My Camaro is unmodified other than a set of PG's.

One of my Mustangs has been lowered and tweaked
          and while quicker it's not quite as easy to drive. This
          could be the PG tires. I have a set of ST's coming.

As these things come assembled, they are very very
          good and a change of tire to your liking should suffice.

Lack of brakes is solely due to the sheer weight of the
          cars, 200gms, and tire diameter

Comment

Last night I changed the pinion to a 11t and the spur to a 41t from a Megane. Oh, I also used a MT 15k'ish long can. Initial results look promising. I didn't get a lot of time to test it. I hope to spend time with it today. I'll let you know what I find. We're working on a secret upgrade as we speak.

Bruce

Comment

What sucks is the Camaro has a longer wheel base....both the Mustang and Camaro should be the
              same...110" 1:1.

But I found a way to get the Mustang equal performance wise..... Bruce is using this same setup.

To BRM's credit the stock tires are quite good but can suffer from heavy wear. PG's standard
              compound is a little hard, I need to try the XPG's next, but 2 weeks shipping is killing me.

Comment

Does anyone know the part numbers for replacement tires for these cars? Super Tires, Quick Slicks and Paul Gage tires if they are made yet.

Comment

If you can hang tight for another couple weeks, I may just be able to help you out.

Bruce

Comment

Paul doesnít list a part number on his auction site.
                    He offers both PG and XPG compounds.

Comment

There will soon be a "super" tune.

Bruce

Comment

I looked at my Camaro and Mustang and their wheelbases are the same, within 0.05 inches. I didn't try loosening the axle blocks to see if you could move the blocks. The cars run good as they came. The wheelbase of a 1/1 1969 Camaro or 1969 Mustang is 108 inches. The 1970 Dodge Challenger was a larger car and its wheelbase was 110 inches. Hoping for something "super" from Bruce.

Jim W

Comment

Working...
                        X