Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrari 512M

Finally took mine out of the box last night
    Setting front ride height has me scratching my head. When I get it high enough, the chassis seems to take a set and one front wheel raises off the ground.
    Is Alanís old video on building this car available anywhere online?
    A booklet has been mentioned as coming with the car. None with mine. Are these available, either in print or download?
    Thanks.

pics or it didn't happen!

Comment

Thatís not going to happen until I add a resize app and learn how to post.

Fiddled tonight. First thing I found was the front bushings were binding at maximum ride height. They seemed to **** at the travel limit. Filing the towers flat helped.
      I removed all of the suspension items (springs and screws) between the motor pod and chassis plate. If I hold the pod and plate together, the rear axle and pod are not parallel to each other. To get them parallel I need to put a 1/16Ē spacer between the pod and chassis on the gear side. Is it possible the motor pod is warped?

Comment

If you're on a PC, and are familiar with Windows Explorer, right mouse-click the picture you want to resize and select Edit in the top section. that will open the file with Paint. In the Home tab select Resize and then select the Pixels radio button, set the resolution of either Horizontal OR Vertical, not both and select OK. Then click the Menu dropdown to the left of the Home tab and Save as. Now you've resized an image.

Comment

First photo shows front view. Chassis plate lists to the left; tire on the right is off the ground.
          If I completely back off the axle adjusting screws, both tires touch but RF grinds on inner fender. Slots 011.JPG

Rear view. Note "tabs" in line with bearing towers. The left one sits lower with respect to chassis plate; right is higher.
          Also note motor pod extending below chassis plate on left.
          Also, chassis plate and axle not parallel.
          Slots 009.JPG

Comment

As is obvious in the pic, the nylon pods are subject to warpage. I don't have a car in front of me but yes, shimming the pod within the chassis was how we tuned around it for the 24h. Give Alan a call, he can explain it.

Comment

I thought of that. I assume you put the shim between the plate and the plastic suspension piece.

Iíd still like to get my hands on the BRM tuning booklet. Anyone?
              Copy or download would work.

Comment

BRM Tuning booklet...? I'll take one too if someone is willing to share it!
                Wicker Bill - what model number is this car?

Comment

Itís the #6 Scuderia Filipinetti car.
                  I have a Swiss fetish. Should break down and get the #7 car, too.
                  The Penske #6 is supposedly in the BRM pipeline. It would be nice to have the car as numbered for the US.

Comment

I just bought that car! I should unbox it and see if it's good... If this Penske #6 is anything like the BRM036 #11 Sunoco Penske, I'll be pre-ordering it if possible!

Comment

Found the video: 7Pce0isYti4 (copy to YouTube).
                      Reference to booklet: http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...m-ferrari-512m .

Comment

Fixed it.
                        I took ckoubaís advice and shimmed it. I made an oval shaped shim from .040 plastic that fits between the aluminum plate and the suspension mount. Chassis sits level and all wheels touch.
                        I still canít get the front end high enough to keep from dragging on the hill on my track. I may have to pick up some axle mounts and modify them.

Comment

All current BRM cars with the injected pod have this issue. I have discussed this at length with BRM. They have tried to resolve this in tooling but the answer right now is to shim the ear that controls pod height on the left side. I use a 1mm BRM axle spacer on all my builds.
                          BRM are working on a completely new range of chassis with metal pods. This will be seen on the next releases and was tested at the last 2 ScaleRacing / BRM 24 hour races in Tacoma.
                          I would post images but I am in England right now.

Regarding front end height that should be adjustable with the up and down stop grub screws. Also by shimming the guide lower.
                          We have the uprights in stock. Will be able to ship orders after I am back at the end of next week.

Alan Smith
                          SCI Owner.
                          www.scaleracing.com
                          www.slotcarillustrated.com
                          www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
                          www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Working...
                          X