"Not Bud" 962 IMSA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Not Bud" 962 IMSA

What? Did ya'l expect pics already? Just kidding, they will be up later today. I finished the "Not Bud" IMSA 962 in about 30 minutes with some paint detailing including painting the driver's helmet to look like Derek Bell's in under 15 minutes.

As with the Camel 962, building was very easy and I noticed several improvements. The rear axle bushings as well as the front axle spacers are now brass instead of teflon. The colors of the crown gears were different than the white IMSA 962 kit, however, I am unsure if the number of teeth on the crown gears are different.

Perhaps my only dislike on the "Not Bud" 962 is the presence of the front dive planes on the lateral surfaces of the brake cooling ducts. This is merely aesthetical and by no means takes away from the cars performance.

Unfortunately, having a 2 lane scaley sport track does not make for a good head to head battle between the Camel 962 and the "Not Bud" 962, except of course for pictures. I will say this: if you have a wood surface, Ninco, or Carrera track to race on, these cars would be really good even for younger hands. I am completely impressed with the toughness and survivability of these scale models. Except for the mirrors, which are suspect on 1/32 cars too, there is essentially nothing to get nerfed off these beasts.

And don't worry, pics will be up soon (although I will need permission to post them from Alan first.)

KIITS,
    Lawrence

I have a friend named "Bud".

He is a weiser man than I am.

Comment

Good one Mick. The "Not Bud" cars must have come from Milwauke (spelling?) . And thanks again for the pic of Manuel Reuters helmet.

Folks, I want to publicly thank MG Brown as he has helped me with well over 14 repaints and decorations. Mick gladly shares decal guides and found the most incredible picture of M. Reuter's helmet sitting on top of the Camel 962C. Why is this important? I want to paint the driver's uniform and helmet to match the 1:1 person and car as closely as possible. I found a pic of Walter Lechner's helmet but until Mick sent me the pic of Manuel Reuter's helmet, I was resigned to paint Lechner as the Camel car's driver.

No offense to Mr. Lechner, but I wanted to paint Manuel as driving the car much as I painted Derek Bell's helmet on the "Not Bud" 962.

MG Brown (Mick).....you are one of the best. Thank you for everything you do for SCI!!!!!

KIITS,
      Lawrence

Comment

sin city !

While we are waiting for the "beer" heres the cigarettes

Comment

It's a pleasure to work with you Lawrence.

Perhaps some day you will get into "darkside" stock car repaints?

Comment

Excellent Marlboro 962 Flyracing!!!!! I painted the 1983 version in 1/32 using a Slot.It 956. I really love the design of the Marlboro paint schemes. The Fly Car Model 91 GT1 is a fabulous Marlborocar too......and even comes with the appropriate Marlboro decals.

Until next time......keep the repaints coming.

Mick, that set of decals is ridiculously great!!!! Have you painted and finished the car yet?

KIITS,
            Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by rolltidevet View Post
              Mick, that set of decals is ridiculously great!!!! Have you painted and finished the car yet?
              Actually the shown decals are as we speak (type?) winging their way to my evil scientist workshop from Slotcars 4 U.

Comment

Mick,

Is that Ford in 1/32 or 1/24. I just bought another 962 white kit from Alan and I plan on doing it in the Primagaz livery from the 24 Heures du Mans 1987.....car #72. I wish I knew a good way to remove the huge intercooler cowling on the IMSA BRM's without them looking like crud. I am a better painter/decorator than a true modeller who can work wonders on cars.

I am working on Manuel Reuter for the Camel "Racing Services" (what does that mean....did they supply the teams with free cigs?).....roflmao. I'll take a pic of him before he goes into the Camel car.

KIITS,
                Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by rolltidevet View Post
                  Is that Ford in 1/32 or 1/24?
                  The Slotcars 4 U decals of the NASCAR Galaxie are scaled to be used with the Monogram 1965 and 1963 Galaxie slot cars.

Comment

Where's the pictures!

Sounds like, "where's the Beef"????? if you remember that one?

No picture's yet!!

Comment

Not Bud 962 Pictures

Hi ya'll,

I am proud to present (finally) pictures of my "Not Bud" Porsche 962 with the folowing details added: 1) painted driver's helmet to match Derek Bell's head gear, 2) Painted body latches and door hinges, and 3) Antenna added to the area where it was located most of the time on the 1:1 car. Hope you enjoy these and, if I am not mistaken, this car is still legal for the BRM Challenge races.

Well, that is all for now. My next project is finishing "Manuel Reuter" for the #4 Brun Camel 962 then decorating the #72 962 from the 24 Heures du Mans 1987. From there, who knows?

All comments and critiques are more than welcome. Thanks for looking guys!

KIITS,
                      Lawrence

Comment

Is there some reason why we shouldn't type "Miller"? Let me in on the secret my slot brother.

Comment

Hi Mick,

It has to do with licensing. PM me or Alan and we will tell you more .

KIITS,
                          L

Comment

I'm still calling them Lowenbrau, not beer (for the B), not beer either (for the M).

Great pics Lawrence !
                            Reminds me to put in the order for car number 5 and 6

Comment

Hi Volker,

I cannot say enough good things about these cars. When re-entering the hobby 2 years ago, I looked at the 1/24 cars(?) or whatever they were then I discovered Slot.It's range of Group C and LMP GT1 cars. Being the big Le Mans fan that I am, I could not resist the 1/32 cars and their beautiful likeness to 1:1 cars.

Now BRM comes along and turns the world of 1/24 racing back into scale model racing. The cars are slower than "regular" 1/24 cars yet this is part of their appeal, at least to me. The BRM 962's are BIG, sturdy, handle well, and teach good non-mag racing skills even with the rather weak magnet in place. The BRM 962's are still fast and challenging races are commonplace.

Of note, Alan took pictures of BRM's upcoming Toyota 88C Models at the Nurenberg toy Fair and those cars look wonderful too.

BTW, Alan has white Imsa 962 kits available at www.132slotcar.us for sale at a lower price than the pre-painted cars. So far, I have painted the #4 Camel 962, and a Marlboro 962, a Jagermeister 962, and a From A car have also been created with the From A having a correct 962C low-downforce body from a Tamiya plastic kit.

So once again we are only limited by our imaginations thanks to Alan, Francesco, and the rest of the gang at BRM.

KIITS......and go buy you a BRM Kit!!!!!
                              Lawrence

Comment

Working...
                              X