Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting BRM drivers

Hi gang,

I finally painted Manuel Reuter for the #4 Camel 962 over 2 weeks ago with enamel paint. I opened the car yesterday and, to my surprise, Manuel was still wet (paint.) Does anyone have experience with painting the BRM driver figures? If so, since enamal won't dry, what paint should I use? Acrylic paint such as Tamiya?

Sure will be funny to see Klaus pull out Manuel for car inspection in Atlanta at SlingShot Raceway. I can see Klaus wiping his fingers full of still wet paint al over my face. Somehow I just don't think Klaus will see a lot of humor in this although the rest of the Lake Lanier gang will probably be busting a gut laughing .

Thanks for any and all help folks!!!!

KIITS,
    Lawrence

I am taking a wild guess here but I would think your best bet would be a water based paint such as Parma FasColor. Tamiya's Polycarbonate paint should work fine also.

When using FasColor or Tamiya Poly on a clear body I use a hair dryer on the low heat setting to gently "set" the paint.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanx as always

Thanx Mick,

You always come to my rescue. Now, does anyone have suggestions as to what to use for the wheel coverings on the front (and sometimes rear) wheels? A thin plastic washer about 1/2" in diameter might be a good starting point? And, would the car still be legal for the BRM challenge as long as the total weight and downforce were still legal?

KIITS,
      Questioning Lawrence

Comment

I can check in my parts box stash for 1/24 brake diffusers from a Hasegawa static kit; if I have them lying around I'd be happy to send them to you.

The Hasegawa/Revell Germany 962C kits have to be the biggest bargains out there as far as parts that could be used on the BRM 962's. Last I checked the entire kit (with either Rothmans or Jagermeister decals) was under $20.

The washer idea would be OK but the small fins that are barely visible between the rim and the diffuser "make it" for me. OK I am a little silly about the small details some times!

You're in luck since the LM version of the car had the diffuser painted yellow without the usual "BBS" or "Porsche" lettering on the outside.
        Last edited by MG Brown; 07-07-2008, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I'm with you on the "fins" Mick. Yet I can't say much since I used an IMSA 962 instead of the low downforce Le Mans body style to create the Camel car (and 3 others waiting on decals.....think these will look good.)

So brake diffuser is the real name for the wheel coverings. I seem to remember some ruckus over Roger Penske using them on his cars at Indy back in the early/mid 90's. They are more of an aerodynamic devise than anything is my understanding...in other words, they kept up good airflow down the sides of the cars.

BTW, Krylon Fusion is a great rattle can paint for the BRM bodies. The 3 cars under construction now are base white so out came the Fusion. For 1/24 bodies that are NOT in need of detailed paint work, the Fusion spray paint is wonderful. For the record, I used Tamiya's "Camel Yellow" on the #4 car.

Thanks again Mick!!!
          KIITS,
          Lawrence

Comment

I just checked the Hasegawa/Revell Germany wheel inserts (let's call them that for ease of spelling!) and they do work on the FRONT BRM wheels. So if you would PM your postal address to me, I'd be happy to send you a set of 4 to try (please be patient as I will send them to you as soon as I can).

In recent years F1 teams have revived Porsche's idea but IIRC the parts were either outlawed or fell out of favor after the Ferrari and Renault teams suffered some (begin Jackie Stewart accent) spectacular (end Jackie Stewart accent) failures where this part spun off of the wheel and flew like a child's gyrocopter toy.

Where as Porsche's wheel inserts were mostly designed to extract air from the brake discs (they were also used on the Porsche 917/30 Can Am car), the wheel inserts used on late 80's Indy Cars were intended to smooth the airflow around the wheel- which makes sense due to the few times that the brakes are applied during the course of an oval race. Rick Mears talks about the role these aero wheel covers played in his 1988 Indy "500" victory in chapter 17 of Gordon Kirby's recently released book: "Thanks- the story of Rick Mears and the Mears Gang". I won't spoil it for you if you are planning to read the book!

Interestingly, a remnant of this idea is used today with the wide "lip" around the outside of the modern IRL wheel- with none of the tire changing clumsiness inherent in the full-disc design.
            Last edited by MG Brown; 07-08-2008, 05:34 AM.

Comment

A book written by and about Mr. Mears!!

Mick,

I am jumping for joy!!!!! IMHO, Rick Mears was the greatest oval formula style driver. And if goes into that much detail (writing about the wheel inserts), I have to get this book. And the Jackie Stewart line and accent brought back great memories from when ABC aired the Indy 500 on Sunday evenings in a shortened 3 hour version. Trying not to start an arguement, however, the live coverage of NASCAR races beginning in 1979 and growing with ESPN's help may have been what gives us great coverage of the Indy 500 "Live on ABC" today.

I'll PM you later today.

KIITS,
              Lawrence

Comment

I want to mention (again) that the series of LeMans annuals published by MBI / Motorbooks and written by Ken Wells are an invaluable source of period photographs for those wishing to re-livery or kitbash the BRM Group "C" cars. IIRC these were published for the years 1986-1991 inclusive.

Check with alibris.com or other used book sellers for these hardback books- I assure you that you will have hours of enjoyment leafing through the photos and stories, and then will treasure them in your motor racing library.

Comment

Working...
                X