917 guide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 917 guide

Hi, I have the gulf#2 917 and love it except I have had the guide pin pull off the oring 3 times when the car was in a big slide or during a spin. I'm running the stock tires on a routed 77 foot wood track with no tight turns. Anyone else having a problem with the guide and a solution? There is a lot of slop in the guide to begin with. I haven't broken the plastic guide support but worry about it happening. ~Ron

Any thoughts?

Alan, have you heard of this problem? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comment

Not had issues here, but if the o-ring cannot come off the guide.

We have not seen any issues with the guide in all the racing and testing I have done with the BRM 917's. Only issues were on early chassis with too brittle plastic, there the guide loop would fracture.
      However you can glue the o-ring to the guide post to strengthen that assembly a little.
      I have experimented with a guide nut or collar, but then in a spin, or slide that hits the steering stop you run the risk of breaking the chassis.
      This is the reason BRM does not use a secured guide as something has to give, and if the guide cannot pull out then in a hit on the steering stop the guide post or chassis will break.

Do you think part of the issue could be the low grip on the STOCK tires, we do not run those, switching to the Rubber Racing tires or Sponge when running these Cars.
      Alan Smith
      SCI Owner.
      www.scaleracing.com
      www.slotcarillustrated.com
      www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
      www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Try a new o-ring.

My Austria car pops off all the time. So much so that I quit re-fitting it. It works fine as long as I don't de-slot, then it needs to be purposefully set back into the slot while guiding the post back into the chassis. I have run my Gulf car very little and it doesn't seem to pop the oring at all.

Both cars are on the stock, branded tires and running on copper taped MFD painted with mild satin latex.

On an related note, I had two 962 guides broken while running IROC style with rookie drivers where I had set the guide up to be constrained from popping out using the crimped ends of the wires. Both times it was at the end of a long straight with a downhill run into a 90 left where they didn't brake and spun it off. It sheared the flag portion of the guide off. Given this experience, I wouldn't recommend rigidly retaining the guide in the chassis.

Chris

Chris

Comment

I tend not to spin or hit the stops but........

It is sometimes easy to forget that newer racers will have offs, and will overdrive the car. I will chat with BRM about this, as it is common for new BRM Racers to overdrive their cars, creating issues normally not seen testing.

For example I do not run on a small Home Track, being lucky enough to have a bigger track available. However we have run races on Carrera and NINCO track, and you do see more tank slappers happening on those surfaces ( fishtailing )

Thanks for the feedback.
          Alan Smith
          SCI Owner.
          www.scaleracing.com
          www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Thanks to Alan and the other responders. My track is a 77 foot 3 lane wood track with magnabraid, no sharp turns and excellent traction. One of the turns is a 7 foot 180 degree slightly decreasing radius similar to the parabolica at Monza it is preceded by a 16 foot straight so I've got a full head a steam before breaking for the turn. The car doesn't crash but is does drift just like a real car. I really like the naturally sliding as it is a great fun and it gives me great feedback on driving as the lap times show when I drive smoothly. I'm not an expert driver but certainly not a novice I've run 1/32 and BRM's for 2-3 years. I guess I'll try the optional rubber tires and see if this happens and maybe an extra oring. ~Ron

Comment

ProComp3!!!

Get the ProComp3 you'll love the way they work on the 917.

Then you can run your BRMs until the guides look like this!

Comment

Hi Alan, and BRM fans. I'm still having a problem with the guide flag coming out when my 917 deslots on my 77 foot wood track. Car handles very good but when it does deslots on a spin it pulls out the guide flag. I'm running with the lowered rubber tires included in the kit. I've tried double orings and washers under and over the guide flag but it does not help the situation. I love these cars and want to buy a few more but I'm hesitant to do so until I find a solution. Some of the club members suggest a metal sleeve for the guide but I'm worried it might crack the plastic tub. ~Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Dayble View Post
                  Get the ProComp3 you'll love the way they work on the 917.
                  Ah ...But the Scale Police will have to bust 'ya, as the Pro Comp 3 tire profile is too modern for a 917 or even a 962 ...IMOHP, the Pro Comp 3 is more (or would more), in place on a modern LMP, or GT car.

I have cheated, and run said Pro Comp 3 's on a 88C Toyota...Runs good, (even look good), but it not "fair", as I don't think those Group C cars, had benefit of today's tire/ wheel technology...

Actually, given the way 917 bodywork ranges above the rear tire, I'm thinking the Pro Comp 3 will look too small back there ...A taller tire side wall is in order, which is probably why BRM makes one.

Not as "fast" ... but more accurate scale wise. And isn't that a major part of the "philosophy" behind the cars ?

AND... the modern LPM, should out corner a 917 anyway ...

Comment

Bill.

Look at the SC-2414. You sure your police are gonna complain?

Oh. 'I didn't know about....' is not the answer. The answer is in research.

Comment

Not interested in running foams, we only run rubber tires in our club and we don't have any problems with any 1/32 cars pulling out guides. Alan, do you have any suggestions or should I just give up on running brms on wood track. `Ron

Comment

Originally posted by keechracer View Post
                        Not interested in running foams, we only run rubber tires in our club and we don't have any problems with any 1/32 cars pulling out guides. Alan, do you have any suggestions or should I just give up on running brms on wood track. `Ron
                        You might consider retrofitting a TSRF Guide that can be secured in place with a nut or screw like your typical 1/24 guide. I test fit one into the 917 chassis. The tsrf guide has a brass sleeve that will neck down the hole for the guide. It uses parma quick change braids too.

Comment

try the optional tires that come under the box. i've been running my 917 on a wood track and my guide has never come off the o-ring. seems odd to me

Comment

call me please

running around please call me 1-253-255-1807
                            Alan Smith
                            SCI Owner.
                            www.scaleracing.com
                            www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

http://www.132slotcar.us/store/produ...oducts_id=7267

But please remember if the guide cannot come out something else has to give. This is why BRM are using an oring under the screw to act as a damper, to help prevent chassis breakage.
                              Last edited by Scaleracing; 12-02-2013, 12:25 PM.
                              Alan Smith
                              SCI Owner.
                              www.scaleracing.com
                              www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Working...
                              X