BRM Guide Flag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRM Guide Flag

I'm new to BRM and just purchased a beautiful Porsche MoMo. Running on our wood club track is a real challenge as the guide flag seems way undersized for the weight and power of this car. After a few crashes into the wall and a healthy dose of CA I've decided to not ruin this car until I can find a better guide. Yes, I have shimmed the stock guide down as far as I can. It seems that the Deep wood guides s-026sw are completely out of stock everywhere. Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance.

The wood track guide is not in production now.

The wood track guide is not in production however we race these cars hard on the standard guide. What type of track are you running on. What motor are you running, what tires, all of these things affect the handling and set up required to make the BRM car run well. Also what tires are you running on the front, as the low profile tires will dramatically change the handling of a BRM car. Plus the weight kits make a huge difference, especially if you are running on a high grip, and or fast track.
    We ran with the slip on Rubber tires with the red and purple motor at around 200 grams. If you are running the black motor a minimum to start at is 200 grams, and probably a little more.

If you can tell me what track, tires, motor set up you are running I can give better advise.

I do not see a need for a deeper guide, but I would run the silver braid not the thick copper braid. Plus get the front of the chassis as low as you can with the low profile front tires.

One more thing how does the car crash, as this tells you a lot about set up. Does it de-slot from the front and go straight on, does it bicycle up onto 2 wheels then de-slot, or does it slide out from the rear first.
    Alan Smith
    SCI Owner.
    www.scaleracing.com
    www.slotcarillustrated.com
    www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
    www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

I run mine (962 Coke Porsche) at Racehaven with the low profile fronts, 22 shore rears (trued), silver braids and the purple motor. Ronnie has set minimum weight as 185g and they run great on his wood track with the stock guide. Very close and fun racing. Many dont even deslot at all during races

Comment

New guide from BRM S-026SS

You could try this new guide from BRM.

Alan Smith
        SCI Owner.
        www.scaleracing.com
        www.slotcarillustrated.com
        www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
        www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

BRM Guide Flag

Thanks for all of your responses. I run on a large 5 lane club track non magnet. Changes from stock are silicone tires that everyone runs and these hold very well. I am running the racing black motor. I have shimmed the stock guide so that the front tires are barely making contact and also use the soft silver braid. I have the brass weight kit and so far have shoo goo'd one piece on each side forward of the guide flag. When the car deslots it oversteers and continues straight instead of turning. I also triple checked the wires to insure that there was no binding. Alan, where do I get this guide please, acknowledged that others run the stock guide and that the car set-up has other problems. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Larry,
            If your car is deslotting by the guide popping out and not turning, that is understeer.
            Personally, I think the weight needs to go towards the rear. Check your fr/rear weight distribution on two scales.
            You should have a rearward bias of 60/40 or up to 65/35.
            Also, your car will handle more predictably if you raise your guide enough for the front wheels to support the car, not the guide.

Comment

Many thanks

Thanks for the good suggestions. I'm going to try the low profile tires and adjust shims (if necessary) to insure adequate contact for the front tires. Second I'll get the weight distribution as close to 60/40 as I can with a total weight close to 200g. I'll test out those changes next week and update you guys on results.

Comment

Many Thanks

I installed the thick version of the brass weight kit with shoe goo only omitting a couple of pieces bringing up the total weight of the car to 182g. I also fitted the low profile front tires. In testing those changes alone I now have this car handling very well indeed. The cornering is very good without much sacrifice in straight line speed. Also, our club owner, Mike Stott of Cloverleaf Racing, supplied me with a BRM deep wood guide (very hard to find) which I haven't installed yet. With that new guide flag fitted this car will be a real bullet suitable for our monthly BRM series. Many thanks to all of you for your guidance.

Regards,

Larry

Comment

tuning depends on the track you are racing on. We race on a good sized, high banked turn commercial track with light spray glue. We race BRMS with the weight kits, foam rubber rears, lower the guide flag fully into the track slot with spacers/shims, and BRM cars perform well. Some use low profile front tires and a tire truer.

Comment

Originally posted by sportblazer350 View Post
                    Some use... a tire truer.

This is the single most important step in tuning a BRM if you're using rubber tires. The sponges seem to be genuinely round out of the box but the rubber shoes need to be round. If you don't have a truer, use a single cut flat (*******) file to true them. There is a link here to a write up somewhere.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ckouba View Post
                      There is a link here to a write up somewhere.

Chris

Found it:

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=71928

Comment

Working...
                      X