Toyota fix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota fix

so I had a long standing problem with my BRM Toyota- it was very noisy in the gear department, eating crown gears after several races. I tried several different things to cure this problem (gear lash adjustments, motor height and angle) with no luck. I trued the rear tires, yet I still had a bit of a wheel hop when going through the turns hard. So- time for new parts. New motor, rear axle, motor pinion, and that did the trick!

And I kept a slightly worn crown gear, as it still had all it's teeth left . And I found that the factory black rear axle was slightly bent, so I assume that was the problem? The pinion gear may have added to the problem as well. Now all is better.

And it's back to standard motor break in and off to the races

Did you try rolling the axle on a flat surface to see if it showed anything?

Chris

Comment

one at a time...quieting the noises

I am having some similar issues with my 962. Too bad you did all the changes at the same time as it is now difficult to ascertain which of the replaced components was causing the noise.

I have a new pinion and a new crown gear and a brand new perfectly straight rear and front axle. The chassis running on the track without the body is pretty quiet. However, when I put the body back on the car gets noisey. I am checking the tires binding on the body as maybe the cuprit. I am also thinking the body must be binding on something to cause the vibration and subsequent noise.

If anyone has any other suggestions let me know. I appreciate the input.

Joseph

Comment

My chassis was slightly warped on one of my Porsches, I used the Slot.IT method to straighten it out. On another car the teflon bushings had become enlarged, causing slop in the rear, so I replaced them with new brass ones. Even if you already have brass bushings, if they are older it may be worth replacing them.

Some of my cars had black rear axles, and if the black paint was removed, intentionally or not, the axle ID became smaller, and although it's a very small ID difference, it could introduce unwanted vibrations in the drivetrain.

Also have seen motor straps that had hairline cracks, or the threads of the mount it screwed into were stripped, resulting in motor vibration that may not be obvious when turning wheels manually. So I'd check for that too while you're in there.

Comment

thanks

All of the above were done, or replaced before the cars was tested as SZ last week. However, last night I did notice the post the motor strap screws down onto is cracked. I have glued it and will use longer/thin screws to bite down onto the chassis more.

Thanks.

Joseph

Comment

Is the noise a vibration?

I have seen BRM cars that resonate or vibrate as you rev the motor up. Usually this is the pinion, the latest pinions that come 2 in a pack should not cause this. Earlier pinions were sometimes slightly out of round, a new Manufacturer solved this problem.
            Alan Smith
            SCI Owner.
            www.scaleracing.com
            www.slotcarillustrated.com
            www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
            www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Dampening vibration.

Here we put a thin film of INOX MX6 grease around the edge of the chassis. Anywhere the body and chassis can touch. This quitens down BRM cars by cutting down vibration between those parts.
              Alan Smith
              SCI Owner.
              www.scaleracing.com
              www.slotcarillustrated.com
              www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
              www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

thanks alan

Appreciate your suggestions. I will look into that. Those darn old BRM pinions (lol).

Joseph

Comment

Use the same fix as if it was a 1:32 ninco hop!

Comment

Originally posted by maxspeed View Post
                    I am having some similar issues with my 962. Too bad you did all the changes at the same time as it is now difficult to ascertain which of the replaced components was causing the noise.

I have a new pinion and a new crown gear and a brand new perfectly straight rear and front axle. The chassis running on the track without the body is pretty quiet. However, when I put the body back on the car gets noisey. I am checking the tires binding on the body as maybe the cuprit. I am also thinking the body must be binding on something to cause the vibration and subsequent noise.

If anyone has any other suggestions let me know. I appreciate the input.

Joseph
                    Older car? Need motor shims...

http://www.132slotcar.us/store/produ...oducts_id=3434

http://www.electricdreams.com/Shop/b...he-p-7724.html

Comment

motor shims...

Thanks...yes it is an older version of the 962 and I already installed the motor shims...the motor shaft is perfectly aligned with the axle.

As I indicated...this car is quiet with the body off. Gear mesh is good, everything seems free running. When I install the body it gets loud. Alan Smith suggested I grease the sides of the chassis to minimize the friction between the body and chassis. Trying that tomorrow night. Also will try another new pinion.

I will report back to this thread what the solution eventually is found to me.

Thanks,

Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by ckouba View Post
                        Did you try rolling the axle on a flat surface to see if it showed anything?

Chris
                        yes- that is exactly how I found that it was bent. I used my tech block.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaleracing View Post
                          I have seen BRM cars that resonate or vibrate as you rev the motor up. Usually this is the pinion, the latest pinions that come 2 in a pack should not cause this. Earlier pinions were sometimes slightly out of round, a new Manufacturer solved this problem.
                          this is good to hear, thanks Alan for this improvement

Comment

Originally posted by maxspeed View Post
                            Appreciate your suggestions. I will look into that. Those darn old BRM pinions (lol).

Joseph
                            another thing to look at: body to chassis fit. sometimes a bit of plastic can be filed, sanded, ground down to remove some excessive binding, a too tight fit, which can exaggerate any minor vibration in the chassis from the motor/gears/wheels/tires. this is what happened to my car: an older out of round motor pinion gear combined with a bent rear axle. Now all is smooth and quiet.

With my older 962s I had several minor issues with body to chassis fit, as well as interior parts causing issues with the front axle and body fit. It took a while to find all of these issues. Keep at it Joseph!

Comment

unbalanced wheels

If the rear wheels are the original "heavy rubber" they will be not balanced, rotating at 5 or 6000 rpm..

If you add on the rim a second Allen opposite the first you eliminate the vibrations,otherwise try another kind of wheels like sponges 1/24 Scaleauto 21 x 13

Our 962 "coke" runs perfectly since 2009 still with the original engine and transmission, only oil and grease after this balancement of the rear wheels

Comment

Working...
                              X