BRM Porsche 917 hippie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRM Porsche 917 hippie

Well I finally got my hands on a BRM 917 white kit, as I do not have pockets deep enough to get one until now. I couldn't wait to get started and see my finished product. I decided to do the Watkins Glen hippie livery from 1970.
    If you look closely at the pics you can see all the boo-boo's that occurred because I broke my own rule, I didn't take my time. In my rush to see the finished product I made several mistakes. But the finished product is still way cool, just from a little distance.
    I started with the white kit as I said. I used Tamiya blue violet as the base color. The decals came next, Pattos, and they were pretty good and went on without a whole lot of issues. Taking Pattos advice I used Future floor cleaner to over coat the decals, 2 coats brushed on. I let it dry for a day. I didn't like the yellowish color of the main decals, so I decided to use my own more neon color and paint them. This turned out pretty good.
    I have been building models for about 35 years give or take. I put different effort into scale models and slot cars. Less effort into slot cars because they are going to be raced and get banged around. I put more scale auto time into the decal painting aspect of this car because its my favorite livery and I wanted it to look as nice as possible.
    Now we get into my impatience. Rather than wait a day I went ahead and gloss coated about and hour or two after finishing hand painting. The first two coats were mist coats and went on fine. After that I decided to shoot a more wet/hot coat. I looked at it about 5 minutes later and noticed it had melted the green paint and it started to run, under the gloss, in several areas.
    My LHS is out of my favorite gloss, Tamiya, and can't seem to get it. So I used Testors wet look clear, which produces a very nice gloss finish. However it seems to be a hotter formula and much less forgiving than Tamiya and seems to cause issues much more often.
    So all that being said here are pics of the finished product. I decided to finish off the model and race it as is and stop being disgusted about it. It is still a very cool looking car.
    Thanks for looking and remember to TAKE YOUR TIME!
    UW

Last edited by urbanwarrior; 03-07-2014, 08:56 AM.

That is gorgeous, nice work!!

Comment

Very Nice

I hate when that impatience thing gets the better of me

Comment

Still a great looking paint job. Did you remove the decals before painting the green. I haven't tried painting yet. Will have to try soon. ~Ron

Comment

That's my main issue, take'n it slow, one step at a time. Impatience, it has the tendency to destroy a project. You still came out with something you will not see many copies of on the track, and it looks good. Good job, John.

Comment

Originally posted by slotbutton View Post
            Very Nice

I hate when that impatience thing gets the better of me
            Looks great, well done. I had never thought of painting a decal to get the correct shade. Great idea.

And that cursed impatience.

Comment

Looks great from here. Nice work.

Would you mind explaining how you painted the decals and what type of paint? Also, what color did you use?

Thanks, and that car is sweet!

Comment

Looks awesome John!

Comment

Nice execution, it hides small errors in the proportions of the body.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I will try to answer all the questions.
                    I did not remove the decals but rather used them as a guide for the brush painting. I used a light green paint pen I got at Michaels craft store. I pushed the tip into a container and bled some paint out of it and then added some laquer thinner. I brushed it on and there you go. Its a pretty simple technique I have used many times. The key is to let everything dry in between and take your time. I just repainted the green by hand and I am going to let it dry for a feew days this time, and then gloss over it again. I did this to try to clean up the edges where the paint bled when I sprayed too soon.
                    Mist coats are just that. Several very light coats used to build up the gloss. Wet/hot coats are sprayed heavier and meant to build the gloss quicker and make it shine.
                    Thanks again,
                    UW

Comment

that looks awesome!

Bruce

Comment

I'm thinking I'll have to deal with being lapped by this car repeatedly during our Classic LeMans race this weekend. At least I'll get lots of good looks at it!

Comment

It's 1/24 scale Paul, so you might get to see it run at Ron's next Thursday.

Comment

Thank you for the information on your painting techniques.

Comment

The Testor clear paint is much milder than the Tamiya clear.
                              Was your green an enamel or lacquer paint?If it was an enamel it would have been affected by the lacquer clear. You also may have applied paint before the recoat window had elapsed.

Comment

Working...
                              X