warped anglewinder gear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warped anglewinder gear

so I removed the body on my brand new Sauber-Mercedes, oiled wheel and motor bushings, then started to break in the motor. I soon found the white anglewinder gear to be warped, so I replaced it with a brand new one (not warped as much, just a tad).

is there any way to straighten out the warped gear? Is it a matter of it being press fit onto the aluminum housing crooked causing it to be warped? if so, can I correct that easily?

If the gear itself is warped not much to be done, if the gear is molded onto the hub at an angle then you may be able to straighten it but before you do that....will you send us the gear? We will be happy to send you a good replacement.
    We haven't seen issues with these gears, if you have an issue we would like to have it to show the BRM reps when they are here next month. Seems unlikely that there's only one bad gear.

Comment

I would check to see how tight it is on the axle before tightening the grub screw. I have done a couple of conversions and had to replace the axle as there was too much play in the gear. As soon as the grub screw was tightened it gave the characteristics of a warped gear.

Comment

I've had the same thing happen as Darren describes with a Porsche 962 angle winder conversion. My car was one of the original Lowenbrau cars with the older black axles and they appear to be too small a diameter for the gear. When I assembled the gear on the axle and tightened the grub screw the gear was cocked on the axle and appeared warped. I spoke with Scott at 132 Slotcars and he said that he would send me another gear which he did but the new gear had the same issue. It was then suggested that I try the newer hardened chrome axles which are supposed to be slightly larger in diameter and I did this but both gears still wobble on these new axles as soon as I tighten the grub screw.

At this point I have kind of lost interest in spending any more time on this car but I plan on going to Tacoma for the BRM 24 hour race so I will take the car down with me and see if Alan or the BRM guys have any ideas. I am sure it can be fixed but the amount of effort required so far has kind of put me off for now.
        Last edited by Geezer; 10-14-2014, 09:43 PM.

Comment

it is not an axle issue, as I looked at this gear on my Scaleauto tire truer at a low speed. I switched to a brand new, out of the package gear, and it is fine (even tho it has a slight...wobble,, it is acceptable). I will mail the wobbly gear to Alan for exchange- thanks!

if BRM tests the cars before final packaging, they should catch something like this, so by showing them this gear, I am sure a problem like this will not get by in the future. I am glad that BRM (and Alan) stand behind their product line.

Now- can't wait to start track testing the Sauber-Mercedes and get it ready to race!

Comment

Originally posted by 132slotcar.us View Post
            If the gear itself is warped not much to be done, if the gear is molded onto the hub at an angle then you may be able to straighten it but before you do that....will you send us the gear? We will be happy to send you a good replacement.
            We haven't seen issues with these gears, if you have an issue we would like to have it to show the BRM reps when they are here next month. Seems unlikely that there's only one bad gear.

Thanks Alan, the gear will be out to you in tomorrow's mail.

Glenn

Comment

All the warped gears must of been sent to Australia.
              I've done 2 anglewinder conversions and both had warped gears, plus I know of at least 6 other cars with the same issue in the group I race with.

Comment

I am I the USA so warped gears could be on cars anywhere.

Comment

so I attempted to install the replacement gear: it too is warped. And the axles must be of a soft material as I cannot fit the gear to the axle. The axle ends are larger od than the center, as when the set screws were tightened the axle ends expanded. I used a Scaleauto axle which worked better- better fit on the axle bushings and the gear slipped on fine, but is also warped.

Comment

Rear axle in a BRM is the first thing I toss, I replace them with plafit ones.
                    But I do the same with scale auto as I find those a little undersize.
                    Unfortunately BRM have never been able to produce a decent gear, the inline ones were rubbish aswell, and had to be replaced with plafit ones, Shame there is nothing to replace the anglewinder ones with.
                    One negative in a otherwise great product

Comment

good news: I purchased a new gear at the raceway today: it is perfectly straight and the car is on the track!! now I have to adjust the chassis for racing.

Comment

Working...
                      X