Anglewinder vs Inline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anglewinder vs Inline

Which is better. Which is faster. How to balance the two to race each other.

That would be with BRM Group C cars

Comment

Not much performance balancing needed. The anglewinder gears are easier to set and the anglewinder spurs are more rugged than the inline crowns.

The adjustable front axle is nice but the same effect can be achieved with the right parts on an inline chassis.

Comment

The inline set-up is one of the worst on the market. The gears just disintegrate if you look at them funny.

Comment

I always look at my inline gears funny and have only ate one? I just think we need to find away to run both chassis's together so all cars are equal. Maybe I'm wrong. Is everyone trashing there inline and buying anglewinders?

Comment

We have a fleet of inline cars, and none eat gears.

Our BRM rental fleet is all inline, and they do not eat gears.

However it is easier to set up the angle winder cars, and it is a progression a development of the line.

That said, as mentioned by Scott you can get the inline cars to run with the angle winder cars, not as adjustable but not a huge difference here.

With the inline gears as long as axle float is set correctly and gear lash is zero at the tightest spot on the gear they run for a long time, set the axle with float or the gears with lash and they will not last one race.

The angle winder gears are stronger by design, but still require the correct set up to work well and last. Plus quality lubrication as with any gears, we use BRM ceramic grease or Inox grease both work well.

One thing that will tear up gears are hard crashes, once a tooth is chipped it does not take long for the rest to start to fail, not really a gear issue more a crash damage issue, but the angle winder gears have been more durable in this situation.
            Alan Smith
            SCI Owner.
            www.scaleracing.com
            www.slotcarillustrated.com
            www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
            www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

I think people are converting because the gears are more reliable on the new angle winder than the inline.

Comment

Thanks Alan

Alan...thanks for your input on the anglewinder verses inline. I am wondering what type of track you are typically running on? I am wondering if these performance differences between anglewinder and linline only show up on the larger tracks.

My experience is that with the smaller tracks motors are less of an issue. However on the larger commercial tracks that I have run the BRM cars on the black motor if properly geared is significantly faster than the pink, or red motor. The only time I have not seen that be the case is if someone cannot drive the more high powered car thus they crash too much.

I have not been running the BRM class recently but do have an inline Porsche I will be running this weekend. As you indicated...if the gears on the inline are properly meshed they do not strip easily. I have never striped a gear on the two inlines I have raced. The biggest problem I see is racers having too much side to side play on the axle and/or too much play in the gear lash. Most 1/32 racers have never had to set-up a heavier car with an inline thus they do not do it properly.

BRM is an awesome class of car and by design are both beautiful and perform well against other BRM cars. I prefer racing them on commercial tracks as then you can get the most out of them. However, the rules that govern the cars (regardless of what those rules are) need to be applied and enforced, or the competitiveness of the class is lost to those who may chose to enhance the car with a component that is not to spec.

Winning a race in BRM is all about having the car set-up properly and then driving it well.

Keep up the good work.

Joseph

Comment

I asked once which was better angle or inline and Salvatore (RIP) told me he only made inline versions because some clubs in Spain only allow inline. This was for small FIAT sedans/saloons.

I think that says it all.

Comment

my experience

An interesting topic about which is better...inline, or sidewinder. I have been slot car racing a long time and have raced both inline, anglewinder and sidewinder in both 1/24 and 1/32 scale.

For the most part I feel that due to the weighting and stronger gearing possibilities in the anglewinder set-up they are typically going to be faster than an inline if properly set-up. The anglewinder allows for better weight distribution than the sidewinder and with the potential for stronger gear ratios I and others have found anglewinders to generally be faster.

Yes...some inlines are rockets and I have a few. But overall, regardless of the scale I believe given all other things being equal (motor, tires, body..ect...) an anglewinder, or sidewinder set-up is going to be faster. I have converted inlines to anglewinders and every time the conversion made the car faster and handled better. 100% of the time.

Of course the type of track makes a big difference if one is to get the maximum performance out of any type of slot car. I know of many friends who have slot cars...both inline and anglewinders that perform really well on small tracks...be it wood, or plastic...however when you bring them up to a big commercial 8 lane wood track, or big plastic layouts they do not compete the same...even after they re-gear for the bigger tracks. It is the same with BRM's.

I wrote an article many years ago about the 30 things you can do to make a slot car faster. The more of them you do and the better you do the the faster the car will potentially be. Do only a few of them and it will not be as good as if you did all of them and did them all well. Take mounting a body for example...lot's of things matter...and they all add to, or take away from the performance of a slot car.

Just my opinion. If someone has some scientific input as to why an anglewinder is or is not faster than an inline I would love to hear more.

Joseph

Comment

There is a scientific reason why anglewinders and sidewinders transfer load from the outside to the inside wheel when cornering. Indeed the science allows how much load is transferred to be calculated.

What difference that makes to lap times is tied up with how the tyres perform.
                      The effect is somewhat similar to lowering the c of g. As a general rule (and no doubt there are exceptions)
                      Cars that benefit from a low c of g (typically cars with plenty of grip) are likely to benefit from anglewinder or sidewinder setups.
                      Cars that benefit from a higher c of g (typically cars with much less grip) are not likely to benefit from anglewinder or sidewinder setups.

Comment

Re the NSRs in Abarth Mikes post above...

...and I'll keep it short since this a BRM thread.
                        NSR longcan motors in anglewinder setups produce a good amount of magnetic downforce on NINCO or other steel track rails.
                        S-can motors setup can drive put the motor magnets directly over the track rails thereby producing magnetic downforce.

That is why NSR makes most of their GT cars as anglewinders, magnetic downforce, and the 'classics' which are sidewinders, are sidewinders so they can run in the 'classic' classes which do require sidewinders. Slot.It too are making their 'classic' cars can drive, likely for the same magnetic reason and likely as a response to previous success by NSR in the 'classic' races.

On BRM cars the magnetic effect of the motors as installed on the chassis is next to none either inline or anglewinder.

Comment

thanks

Interesting input. I understand the weight distribution side to side and could even image torque forward and back could have an effect with balance and grip.

Regarding the magnetic effects on plastic tracks...I see how that is a slight influence. However, on commercial tracks where we typically race these BRM cars there are no steel rails.

Again...thanks. Science is an interesting subject.

Joseph

Comment

well, when you have good traction & high torque & you punch it on a standing start, the BRM IL set-up can blow the gears apart; no matter how well they are set-up. the stock BRM parts are not up to the challenge, sorry. we switch to the Parma gears, use lots of axle stoppers & it still happens on occasion. my Porsche will be converted to AW before it goes another lap.

Comment

humm...

Never had a gear blow apart on a BRM...maybe because I never pull the trigger all the way???!!!

Hey Martini...hope to see you racing somewhere soon...always a laugh.

Joseph

Comment

Working...
                              X