My BRM 917 White kit (lots of pics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My BRM 917 White kit (lots of pics)

Recived the white kit just before Christmas and started on it right away. I must say service was great I called and talked to Scott at 132 slot car late on a Friday and my order showed up Monday! Great service.

[IMG][/IMG]

First thing I did was completely disassemble the chassis and check that it was flat. It was pretty dang close but i baked it off in the oven anyway to be sure.

[IMG][/IMG]

We race these with foam rears instead of the stock wheels/tires so I had to trim the inserts to fit correctly.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Now reassembled we have a roller!

On to the interior. With a little black paint and some Sharpies here you go. I am a fan of the Sharpie!

[IMG][/IMG]

Just to see how it looks so far and to check the ride hight.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next up is the body. I have had quite a bit of anguish over the body. I started with the full intention of doing the Steve Mcqueen #20 and bought the decals to do so. But the decals were sub par and the orange was too translucent. I then tried to paint on the stripes and I did not like the way it looked so back to the drawing board. Take a look at the pics below for its progression.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Enjoy. More to come

-Dave

I think it looks awesome in orange!! What paint did you use?

The interior came out great also, good tip on using the sharpies.

Comment

Thanks, I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I used a rustoleum paint designed for plastic. I like it, dries fast and is pretty durable.
      -Dave

Comment

I like the orange paint also. Looks great so far!

Comment

Really strong color on that car Rustoleum has stepped up their game.
          Excellent pics! Thx.

Xr4ti

Comment

Rustoleum colours are really nice, but I can't spray a decent coat of paint with it no matter how hard I try!!

Comment

Thanks guys. I warm the paint up and it really helps. I run the can under my tap on hot for about 15 minutes. And it flows real nice.

Comment

Its Done.

well it is finished and overall I am pretty happy with the performance.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I have heard of baking the chassis in the oven to flatten it out. I'm curious as to how you did it if you don't mind sharing that info please.

Comment

I use the slot it method. I have a cast iron skillet and fix the chassis to the skillet with strong magnets. I heat the oven to 250 and boil some water. I pour the boiling water over the chassis so that it is well covered. I then put the skillet in the over and turn it off. Let is set over night. Works like a charm

Comment

Strong work, really nice!

Comment

Dave- great job! That is one beautiful car. I use Tamiya rattle cans and also warm the cans before spraying and it works well. As to baking the chassis, what magnets are you using?

Comment

Big Dave won our Wednesday night race last night with this beauty.

Comment

Ok ...Since no one has asked ...

Great work you show here.
                            And dammit if the BRM 917 isn't the 917 to go with in 1/24, it terms of model fidelity, and cool runnin'

The Gulf livery is the hot livery for this car, and curiously enough, BRM is yet to do one (I think they are waiting on me to try to build one) ...

Which brings me to my question...

Who's decals are the ones that proved sub par ? I'm sure kit builders would like to avoid them (or their maker, may act to improve them ?

Inquiring minds want to know ...

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. This car has really come in and is quite fast and sticks to the track great. BRM has already done the Gulf livery, but to my knowledge is sold out for the most part. These decals were Fred Cady decals, the decals over all were OK however the orange stripe decals were "transparent" making them a funky color.

-Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X