Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble correcting lane changer behavior...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble correcting lane changer behavior...

I have a double LC that isn't working on one side. I've often had to adjust/repair/maintain the linkage on these things, but this one is doing something I haven't seen before. It rebounds closed immediately upon opening. It happens so quickly a car can't make it through the gate.

I can find nothing obviously wrong on first inspection. If anyone has seen this and can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Never seen this before - but thinking about it, it has to be a mechanical issue, because the rebound is actuated by mechanical components vs. the opening being actuated by the solenoid.

Makes me wonder if the spring is causing it.

But, since you have seen the internal many times before, you would catch that right away....

Good luck!

Seb

Comment

This started out as a clicking solenoid with no gate opening. So when I inspected, I found the solenoid plunger dislodged from the linkage. OK, that's what I expected, so this should be an easy fix. Just to prevent this from happening again, I put a dab of super glue gel on the edges of the plastic bezel that hooks the plunger to the linkage arm, to make the trough a little deeper and prevent the arm from coming out. When I put it back together, this happened.

So then I did try adjusting the spring- it seemed to be closer to the center wall than the spring on the side of the LC that was still working. Still no luck. The worst part of servicing one of these is repeatedly replacing/removing the cover. I only use the screws in the center of the cover when I test, but it still gets tedious after a few tries of disconnecting the track, flipping the track (with attendant jumper wires and anti-collision chips) removing the cover, etc. Walked away last night after about 45 minutes of fiddling. I'll give it another go this evening.
      Last edited by b.yingling; 06-08-2017, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Hope that you get better luck then I did last year...
        I got ****ed off trying to fix that expensive part since I'm a canadian on top of that, imagine 38% more pricy + the enormous shipping fees from the US dealers !
        So I'm using that expensive piece of crap to park my cars, what a shame !

Comment

Originally posted by legrandnormand View Post
          Hope that you get better luck then I did last year...
          I got ****ed off trying to fix that expensive part since I'm a canadian on top of that, imagine 38% more pricy + the enormous shipping fees from the US dealers !
          So I'm using that expensive piece of crap to park my cars, what a shame !
          Well, this one has been working for nearly 10 years now, with some adjustments, repairs, and modifications (AC chips) along the way. So if I do need to replace it, I can't complain too much.

Comment

Hey Bruce, any chance you may have re installed the solenoid so it's closing instead of opening?

Comment

Originally posted by carlosinseattle View Post
              Hey Bruce, any chance you may have re installed the solenoid so it's closing instead of opening?
              I don't think so. I never removed or disconnected the solenoid, and even if I had, there is really only one way to mount it and still hook up the linkage. Also, I can see the flipper move open and immediately close when I engage the LC. The plunger pulls in when the lane changer is engaged, and I am wondering if there might be wear on the plunger and/or the solenoid sleeve it slides in that is causing it to drop to deep and causing the rebound. Didn't get a chance to fiddle with it last night, but sometime this weekend I will definitely get back to it.

Comment

It's fixed- and I don't really know why. I tried it once or twice this morning, the linkage seemed free and the spring didn't appear to bounce on anything, but it still wanted to slam shut as soon as it opened. The second time, I left the cover off. This meant that the working side got hung up in the carpet and popped loose, but as I elevated the track off the carpet to test the malfunctioning side- it worked once. Then back to slamming shut. Weird.

So I flipped it over to inspect for the umpteenth time, and repaired the linkage on the good side. I have you to thank for your suggestion, Carlos, as I loosened the two screws on the malfunctioning side's solenoid, and tried to move it closer to the linkage. If there was any movement, it was almost imperceptible. But I put the cover back on and it worked! If that solenoid moved, it was way less than 1/32nd of an inch. But I then ran 15-20 laps and it never failed. So I'd say it is fixed.

Just another reminder of what a delicate, clumsy, and yet fairly long lasting Rube Goldberg mechanism Carrera has working in these lane changers.
                Last edited by b.yingling; 06-10-2017, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X