Ghost car issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost car issue

I set up my Carrera track recently, when running ghost car, it runs for 4 laps and it stops, I have to pick up the car and set it back on the track for it to start going again and then after 4 laps it will stop again. I have a control unit, 2 wireless controls, a control extension and 2 Lane changers , everything works well. I use the start button to see if the ghost car starts back up after the start lights go off but nothing , the only way to get it going is by pick up car and replacing on track but then after 4 laps it stops again, it happens with any car I program as a ghost car.
    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

There is a safety feature in the digital chip to prevent it from overheating if a ghost car gets stuck/blocked on the track. There is a momentary loss of power to cars when they go through a lane changer and this dropout resets a watchdog timer in the chip. If a ghost car goes some number of seconds without running through a lane changer, it will stop and need to be picked up exactly as you described. Don't know why yours aren't resetting as you said there are two LC in your layout. Perhaps post a pic of the layout? Might see some missed detail.

Comment

Last edited by carlosinseattle; 11-06-2017, 08:32 AM. Reason: posted same answer at same time

Comment

Originally posted by boots View Post
        I set up my Carrera track recently, when running ghost car, it runs for 4 laps and it stops, I have to pick up the car and set it back on the track for it to start going again and then after 4 laps it will stop again. I have a control unit, 2 wireless controls, a control extension and 2 Lane changers , everything works well. I use the start button to see if the ghost car starts back up after the start lights go off but nothing , the only way to get it going is by pick up car and replacing on track but then after 4 laps it stops again, it happens with any car I program as a ghost car.
        Any guidance would be greatly appreciated
        Are the cars stock? Do they have any extra magnets added?

Comment

Thank you everyone for the input, I didn't realize the chips had the safety feature, I haven't used the digital stuff for a long time, I had anolog track going and replaced the start with the control unit and had my son play around with it and I decided to add a ghost car to keep him entertained and it's when the supposed issue starts I freaked out because I didn't recall that ever happening, the Lane changers were yet to be installed , I apologize for taking your time . Solution was install the Lane changers as mentioned, once again I apologize for such a noob mistake and thank you guys for the help which also I was not aware of the safety feature, learned something new.

Comment

Originally posted by boots View Post
            Solution was install the Lane changers as mentioned, once again I apologize for such a noob mistake and thank you guys for the help which also I was not aware of the safety feature, learned something new.
            No need to apologize, boots! I was unaware of this safety feature also. Keep in mind, a lot of us forum members learn from other people's questions/responses. The guys here are always willing to help out!

Comment

not correct

We set up 2 ghost cars at a high speed on our banked track and then we put e-tape over the car sensor to prevent it from changing and put one in each lane. they can run for 100's of laps . no 4 laps and stop crap! They never hit the track sensor

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyalonso View Post
                We set up 2 ghost cars at a high speed on our banked track and then we put e-tape over the car sensor to prevent it from changing and put one in each lane. they can run for 100's of laps . no 4 laps and stop crap! They never hit the track sensor
                The car still passes over a dead spot every time it goes over a lane changer. Doesn't matter whether it takes the lane change or not. It just matters that the cars run over a break in the rails. They encounter such a break every time they come to a lane changer, even if they don't change lanes.

The sensor has nothing to do with this safety feature. The car chip does it all on it's own. Whenever it comes to a break in the rails, it resets it's counter and won't stop running.

Comment

So if somebody wanted to run ghost cars on a track without lane changers as boots had originally tried, this could possibly be achieved by putting tape across the rails on the lane the ghost car is running on? That "break" caused by the tape should then lead to the chip resetting itself I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood0209 View Post
                    So if somebody wanted to run ghost cars on a track without lane changers as boots had originally tried, this could possibly be achieved by putting tape across the rails on the lane the ghost car is running on? That "break" caused by the tape should then lead to the chip resetting itself I would think.
                    Yes, that would work. Only have to tape one rail. Although a rubber band on an analog controller would be easier than switching out the power unit and taping the rail.
                    Last edited by b.yingling; 11-11-2017, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by b.yingling View Post
                      Yes, that would work. Only have to tape one rail. Although a rubber band on an analog controller would be easier than switching out the power unit and taping the rail.
                      It would certainly be easier, but I could see the appeal of a semi-quasi analog/digital system. You get the simplicity of the analog in not having to worry about collisions, but some added benefit from the digital control unit such as ghost car, wireless controllers, and race scoring (either with the PC Unit or AppConect).

Comment

Originally posted by Wood0209 View Post
                        It would certainly be easier, but I could see the appeal of a semi-quasi analog/digital system. You get the simplicity of the analog in not having to worry about collisions, but some added benefit from the digital control unit such as ghost car, wireless controllers, and race scoring (either with the PC Unit or AppConect).
                        Carrera's wireless controllers work on analog. The ghost car could only be in the 'other' lane from the one driven- which is why I said a rubber band on a controller would be easier than switching the control bases. If you don't have a timing system on your analog track, I'll give you the scoring advantage.

Comment

This is kind of off topic but is a question on ghost cars. I have run dozens of races and always use a ghost car. My layout has changers and a pit lane. During my last race the ghost car pulled into pit lane and stopped as if waiting for fuel. the ghost car then drove out of pit lane and continued on to the checkered flag. Has anyone seen this behavior? Is there a way to set a fuel level in a ghost car?

Comment

Originally posted by slammerf1 View Post
                            Has anyone seen this behavior? Is there a way to set a fuel level in a ghost car?
                            Very, very rarely. The pit lane entry switch should, in theory, not open for a ghost car. (If you are using regular lane changers, they will). But I have seen this once or twice over the years. Turning the system off/on cured it.

There is no fuel for ghost cars. Different versions of CU firmware will report different, constant levels of fuel for all ghosts, but they don't actually use fuel or change their driving behavior in 'real' mode.

Comment

I have had that happen, I couldn't tell you what I did to resolved it though.

Is it all ghost cars, or just one in particular? I'd suggest try linking it to a controller, run a few laps on it and then re-program it as a ghost. You may want to turn the CU off for a bit between this.

Comment

Working...
                              X