slot it digital conversion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slot it digital conversion?

I have many slot it porsche 962s and 956s. I see some chassis conversions for these, but Im not very knowledgable on the evolutions.......can anyone comment on how they did theirs and how it turned out. The digital track is so much fun, I hate seeing my analogs take the shelf. I have a Carrera digital track.
    Last edited by kmas65; 11-29-2017, 03:57 PM.

(THIS POST FROM BEFORE I REALIZED HE MEANT FOR CARRERA DIGITAL)

They chip easily enough. Sometimes you need to carve a little out of the interior tray, unless it's a more recent model. Also, it's easiest with the slot.it SSD chips, the SP12 (out of production) or the SP15. I have a set of 6 Group C cars (such as those two) all with SP12 chips in them, as I chipped them when those were still available. I also have a set of 6 classic cars (GT40, Chapparal, etc) with the SP15 chip in them.

But, you can chip them with Scalextric brand chips as well, even the DPR chip, if you want. You would need to take off the plastic piece and mount it to the chassis, and either solder to the connector or get the pre-wired connectors that fit the DPR connector off ebay or wherever, but it's totally do-able.

Do you have any spare chips of any kind? Have you opened up the car to see where there might be room to put the chip?
    Last edited by MrFlippant; 11-29-2017, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
      They chip easily enough. Sometimes you need to carve a little out of the interior tray, unless it's a more recent model. Also, it's easiest with the slot.it SSD chips, the SP12 (out of production) or the SP15. I have a set of 6 Group C cars (such as those two) all with SP12 chips in them, as I chipped them when those were still available. I also have a set of 6 classic cars (GT40, Chapparal, etc) with the SP15 chip in them.

But, you can chip them with Scalextric brand chips as well, even the DPR chip, if you want. You would need to take off the plastic piece and mount it to the chassis, and either solder to the connector or get the pre-wired connectors that fit the DPR connector off ebay or wherever, but it's totally do-able.

Do you have any spare chips of any kind? Have you opened up the car to see where there might be room to put the chip?
      No chips yet and I haven't opened the cars up, I was going to get Carrera chips so they would communicate with the track, I didn't know that you could intermix chips and systems. thanks for the help, not sure I will open all of them since some are discontinued and collectable. Do you have any pics of modded chassis? Wanting to chip a McClaren slot it also, we currently have some of the digital carrera digital dtms.

Comment

what chips are the best value, I have a few cars.

Comment

I'm sorry, I didn't catch your reference to evolution the first time. Now, I realize you meant chipping cars for Carrera digital, not Scalextric digital. As such, ignore all the stuff about specific chips from my previous post.

The rest still applies, though. You'll want to get a D132 chip, and open the car, and take a look. Unless your models are fairly new, you'll need to put a hole in the chassis (for the lane change LED), and dig out some of the interior tray to make room for the chip components, as well as figure out some way to hold the chip in (blue tack or hot glue is good).

More recent models come with the hole in the chassis already, and an interior tray molded to make way for chip components on D132 boards, as well as a special clip to help hold the chip in place.

You'll probably find more help in the Carrera forum, as well as a link to a thread with examples of chipping cars for Carrera Digital. I'll go ahead and move this thread there to get more attention from other Carrera users, and to avoid the confusion that I had.

Comment

Go to this thread http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=49412 , page 5, posts# 62 and #66. These are typical porsche 956/962 chipping jobs. They are very easy to chip. As MrFlippant said, you may have to shave some off the bottom of the interior. Notice in post #66 that the chip is at an angle and the sensor is quite a ways above the chassis. This is about how I chipped a 956. The sensor on mine is about 1/8" above the chassis and the hole drilled for the sensor is much smaller. The sensor does not need to be real close to the track. I have had no problems with lane changes.
            And this is N/A to a slotit ,but RT/Randy posted pics of a Pioneer Charger where the sensor is at least 2" back from the guide and says he has had no issues with lane changes.
            Also, I wanted to do as little cutting as possible on the chassis. I didn't cut a hole for the switch as I very seldom run in the opposite direction or in analog mode. The switch can still be flipped by popping the body off and flipping the switch from the side with a screwdriver. My chip is attached with a tiny piece of double sided tape [it's like the 3M stuff used for removable coat hooks and such]. However if you cut the hole for the switch, it should mount the chip a little lower in the chassis and therefore a little less of the bottom of the interior would need to be shaved.
            There are probably more pics of Slotit cars in the thread, but it is 80 pages long and these pics seem to show a good look.
            Randy
            Last edited by 32lbKING; 11-29-2017, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Thx guys! I need to find some slotit McLarens those lights are awesome!looking forward to some projects

Comment

I don't know how well Carrera chips work with more powerful motors. Slot.it has their own type C chip that is supposed to work with both Carrera and Scalextric systems.

Comment

The carrera chips are pretty robust.

Comment

The carrera chips are pretty robust.
                    Never had a problem with a slot.it motor and carrera chip. I've even run one rush motor that has an rpm rating of 36k w/o problem. And that car has a magnet!
                    Last edited by b.yingling; 12-01-2017, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Found this on the Slot.it website:

http://www.slot.it/Download/FAQ_PDF_...Digital.en.pdf

Comment

Bob

That's a very helpful document - I chipped 4 or 5 of these when this chassis update first came out a couple of years ago and it was not very clear how to mount the chip & adapter. i came up with my own combination of countersunk screws to attach it. Would be nice if they actually included the screws in the kit.

Just a general note to anyone wanting to do this to an older slot.It that there are updated chassis with the Carrera chip features for many of the cars available as service parts - thinking they were in $6 range.

Thanks

Ed

Comment

You'll sometimes also need a replacement interior tray. While the chassis will have the holes needed for the Carrera chip, and a little bracket to hold it in place, the electronics will foul on the interior if it's not designed for the chip to be there. You'll either need to replace the interior tray with one designed for the chip, or carve out chunks from your existing interior to make way for the chip electronics.

Comment

looks like we'll be ordering some Slot.it Parts.

Bruce

Comment

...or carve out chunks from your existing interior to make way for the chip electronics.
                              I think the torso-and-above driver of my Chapparal is sitting on/in/around less plastic than was used to compose his helmet . But it isn't really noticeable (in my poorly lit basement ) without close inspection, and it isn't noticeable at all when the car is being raced on my track . Scale model purists would not approve, but I like running great driving sports and endurance cars from the late 60s early 70s (so slot.it). Which means I have quite a few legless drivers, and the interior detail on those cars is- to put it more nicely than is really accurate...lacking.
                              Last edited by b.yingling; 12-09-2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X