No announcement yet.

slot it digital conversion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just fit the chip into an R89c, no mods required.

I stole it from my DTM to check the fit.
    Last edited by Slot_it_Bob; 12-09-2017, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Sweet! Anyone else setting up a slot.it car to run on the Carrera Digital track?
      Who's track you running on?

Comment

Any type of slot.it car on our Carrera Digital track except the 4WD.
        Our club started with the Classic GT40, then GT McLaren F1 GTR, Group C (almost all the models), some other GT/LMP and back to the classic with the Alfa, Ferrari and McLaren, there one with an aftermarket chip (and lots of patience).

Group C are the easiest models to chip with the standard chip.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
          Sweet! Anyone else setting up a slot.it car to run on the Carrera Digital track?
          We have 3 tracks in my area, one of them being Sebs.
          Not sure how much interest the others will have in running the GroupC cars
          Other than myself right now. We have a DTM race coming up so I'll use a bit of a practice
          Session to run the Nissan.

Comment

Well, how should I answer that? Interest from an engineering side? Yes, I'm interested. Is it a premium car over Carrera cars? No doubt. Is it fun to shoot around the track by yourself with a super fast car, enjoying all features of digital? Sure. Have done it....

Here comes reality...

Am I interested in spending over double the amount of $$ to have a car that is so wicked fast, that it's getting hard to keep up with 6 others on the track with all different levels of experience? No, I don't. Do I want to invest the time and money to being able to setup the car every time we run on a different track? No, I don't, because that results in more money spent and more setup time.

So, you see where this is going.... - it'll come down to a question of $$ spent vs the fun we have now, keeping the Carrera cars stock in terms of parts, other than the tires.
            Of course, one could argue and say, well, all you need is one Slot.it car and tires - same as now. True, but I know that there will be someone to spend the extra money for gears, motors, pods, etc. and then it will take that in order to win, or you're just running with the crowd....
            What we have done here in Cincy with the Carrera D124's for the past 6 years has worked really well.
            Jamie just started the D132 DTM league here in town and the first race is anticipated by many this next Sunday - the format of the DTM league mirrors the D124 format and we will see how it goes...

Of course, I don't want to offend anyone on here with my opinion, and maybe there's enough interest in a digital Slot.it series in town - all I can say is, that I most likely won't be part of it, due to the $$ and time effort...

Cheers!

Seb

Comment

I totally understand that, Seb. It's great to want to keep things simple for everyone, to keep costs low, and to keep things fun rather than about how much money someone can spend on their car.

Parts can be replaced in Carrera cars to "hop them up" too, though. Your group has chosen to keep them as box stock. The same can be done with slot.it cars. Just because they are designed to be easily upgraded doesn't mean people have to be allowed to make changes.

DRAWW races all kinds of makes and models. Sure, we probably run Scalextric most often, but we've run Pioneer, Slot.it, and other cars over the years. Each time we have a spec that everyone must follow. The VAST majority of the time, we run as box stock with only tire changing allowed. Stock gears, motor, wheels, etc. The only real difference between each series we run is the performance and price of the car.

That said, even with box stock cars, people with the know-how and time can get them running smooth as silk and with performance exceeding other cars without spending a dime. You really can't prevent that, so trying to will be an uphill battle with very little benefit to anyone. In the end, those with the best driving skills paired with car prep skills tend to win more than others. As long as the playing field is level, this is as it should be. Making and keeping the playing field level is a matter of setting specs for each series and policing the cars on a regular basis to ensure that everyone is following those rules.

Carrera definitely have the corner on the market as far as cost of the cars goes. They all kind of perform the same way, though. Variety is the spice of life, you know. ;-)

Comment

I bought my 1st (and only) Slot.it - CA22a Lola B09/60 LMP a few years ago with the intent on chipping and adding lights. Still haven't touched it but I do still intend to. Good to hear that the Carrera chips should not be a problem.

As far as track, only mine - and not interested at this point of competing in clubs. Just thought the car is too cool looking and wanted to see what the Slot.it hype is about .

Comment

I totally understand that, Seb. It's great to want to keep things simple for everyone, to keep costs low, and to keep things fun rather than about how much money someone can spend on their car.

Parts can be replaced in Carrera cars to "hop them up" too, though. Your group has chosen to keep them as box stock. The same can be done with slot.it cars. Just because they are designed to be easily upgraded doesn't mean people have to be allowed to make changes.

DRAWW races all kinds of makes and models. Sure, we probably run Scalextric most often, but we've run Pioneer, Slot.it, and other cars over the years. Each time we have a spec that everyone must follow. The VAST majority of the time, we run as box stock with only tire changing allowed. Stock gears, motor, wheels, etc. The only real difference between each series we run is the performance and price of the car.

That said, even with box stock cars, people with the know-how and time can get them running smooth as silk and with performance exceeding other cars without spending a dime. You really can't prevent that, so trying to will be an uphill battle with very little benefit to anyone. In the end, those with the best driving skills paired with car prep skills tend to win more than others. As long as the playing field is level, this is as it should be. Making and keeping the playing field level is a matter of setting specs for each series and policing the cars on a regular basis to ensure that everyone is following those rules.

Carrera definitely have the corner on the market as far as cost of the cars goes. They all kind of perform the same way, though. Variety is the spice of life, you know. ;-)
                  We race 4 classes:

GTLM (Carrera)

DTM (Carrera)

Can-am (Carrera)

Trans-am (Scalextric)

I don't race in a "club"...heck, it's hard enough finding a competitive friend to race in my hometown that's into the cars enough to want to try new things and invest in a little fun (thank goodness for Carrera's ghost car function!), anyway...

Everything evolves / goes through fazes...right?

1st there was bone stock cars

Then it's the blessing of urethane tires...and you have an unrealistic missile on your hands that's fun for a little bit but after awhile the fastest car wins because they all handle close to the same on full magnet

Then the cars are ridiculous fast so you pull the rear magnet (Carrera)

Then the handling sucks so it's truing the wheels tires time

Then you try and pull the front magnet and realize it kinda sucks on a Carrera car (for my track we put ours back in seems perfect)

Then I get sick of spending countless hours truing tires / wheels for all the cars / classes we run. I don't mind once in awhile; ultimately, there's still an advantage there depending on how good the axle setup was to start with.

NOTE: I've recently run across junk axles in Carrera cars. Found junk front and rear in 2 Redbull DTM M4's so far and 1 junk front axle in a Ford GT...check to make sure they don't have a ridge on them!!!!

Then I try Slot.it wheels / Gears / Axles / Pinion because the above issues of axle irregularity

Then it has an unfair advantage in that class so the competing car gets the same treatment

Then we cook a few Carrera motors and replace with Pirhana because it's cheaper / better performing

Then we are reducing speed at the CU because the cars have capability they never had (Torque / Speed / Handling)

Then we realize how much more fun ghost car racing is with them full magnet, good tires, trued axles, dropped front guide vs. our no rear magnet cars...it's not uncommon to get passed by a ghost car on my track!!!!

...and now?

The cars are the most enjoyable they have ever been, as they have plenty of capability to push them a little bit when you need to, durable parts, very little setup time...and when you replace the car, the good parts just transfer over to the new car and I save the stock wheels / axles / gears / motors for a different class, or ghost car racing, or maybe a proxy.

For me, it's as much about tinkering and trying new things as it is the actual racing; however, in the spirit of keeping things fair with as little fuss as possible, we change things up depending on the class...so that there is more than just a body style change difference in the cars.

I've tried a few Slot.it's and more recently a Revoslot. I love them all, but thus far, nothing runs as good as a Carrera car on a Carrera track. I think it's mostly due to the guide thickness and braid spacing and a little bit due to ride height.

Our Scalextric Trans-am's are a close 2nd. Because Carrera rails are a grade of stainless; therefore, less magnatraction than if on Scalextric track, they are just about right with skinny urethane tires.

Some people are all about trying to have as much fun as cheaply as possible. Others (like me) think trying new things (controllers, software, car parts, car types) is every bit as much fun as is the actual racing.

It's all about some variety, else it's just the same basic car with a different body on it

Comment

Great story. We all have something that keeps us interested, and everyone's experience is different.

I think we all, in the end, love a nice, close, dice- but the way we get there differs for each of us. If we stick with it past the initial rush, we also like to have cars that need to be 'driven' more than a stuck down magnet beast. (Note: they require skill as well, but it's a knife edge between disaster and perfection).

I now 'race' mostly by myself, and the current preference is a slot.it classic w/o magnets against a pair of Carrera 917 ghosts with rear magnets. With a smallish fuel tank setting, they'll finish 98 laps in the time it takes me to run 100. Miss a fuel stop here or there and they will likely win.
                    Last edited by b.yingling; 12-11-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I found setting up the D132 cars much more time intensive than the Slot.it Car.
                      Between truing the wheels to accept the league tires and some of the other tuning tricks it took me a good hour plus to set up my DTM.

True the Slot.it is more expensive to start and adding a chip and a set of Super tires raises the cost, but they run so well out of the box. But it so much quicker to convert and setup the car.

I mainly did this as an experiment to see how they run in a digital format, as I might like to build my own track.

My interest would be to run the Group C cars as they come out of the box, so no extra parts or pods. Group C cars are my favorite hence the interest.
                      Last edited by Slot_it_Bob; 12-11-2017, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X