Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide Arm on Carrera 30545 Digital 132 Ford Mustang GT 2005

Hey Experts!!

Even though I received this car with my first set about 4 years ago, I still consider myself a newb. Just now starting to pay more attention to the technical aspects of the cars.

This care came with my set along with the Dodge Charger Police car. The Dodge has been a great car. This mustang has been nothing but a headache out of the box. Wondering if there is any mod that can be done to improve.

Bottom line is it will not stay on the track. I attribute all the deslots to the guide arm mechanism that just seems super tight with the spring setup. If the car is not on a straight it is only a matter of time that it deslots. Curves, lane changes, chicanes,... any transition at all and it is off the track with any reasonable speed. Thankfully I have not seen this guide system on any of my other cars. I dread the day I open a new car and see this again. If I do, taking it right back to the store!! I do feel that the bottom of the boxes should be transparent to see what hides on the underside of these cars. Magnet setup for example would be nice to know when buying.

Is there anything you experts can recommend to salvage the car? Motor is FAST!! Oh.. and tires are impossible to find as well. It does have an odd shaped chip in it as well. More of square shape. Sorry no pict of the chip. Might just use it as a slow ghost car as is...

The Mustang GT seems to be one of the worst cars that have this early digital guide, It may be its short wheelbase. All of Carrera’s first digital cars had this set-up (Pro-x and then D132). I bought a black Mustang GT for my son, and at the time we had few different cars already that had this guide set-up, but most ran fairly well. As long as you raced the cars against similar cars they were fine. But I never could get that Mustang to run good. I tired some tuning tricks and installed Paul Gage rear tires, but it still wasn’t the best runner.
    You can remove the long guide blade and put a shorter Carrera blade in it, but the guide system has limited swing and the guide wires will be pinched against the chassis when the guide swings all the to one side or the other. In the end I give up on it and sold it.
    Randy

Comment

Originally posted by rtrandy View Post
      The Mustang GT seems to be one of the worst cars that have this early digital guide, In the end I give up on it and sold it.
      Randy
      Who did you sell it to? I will give them a great deal on this one!!!

Comment

I actually sold it on E-Bay.
        Thinking about it now, if I wanted to have a Mustang GT, I would buy the analog version and chip it. The analog chassis would run better.
        Randy

Comment

What would you do?

So.. I am on the brink of parting out this car.

Please read the first message in the thread.

Is this at all salvageable? Can the guide system be replaced so to all together eliminate that guide arm? By eliminated the arm all together the guide is just too loose with no spring back.

At this point I am ready to pull the chip and put it into a new analog car.

What would you do?

TRU

Comment

If you decide to sell it you'll do better selling it whole, the parts won't fetch anything. But if you keep it you can run it against other Carrera Mustangs from that era. There were several cars made with that guide arm design; Mustang, Corvette C6, Maserati, Ferrari 575, and Porsche GT, which all ran very similar to the Mustang. They also made NASCAR's, F1's, and DTM's with the same design, the DTM's handling characteristics are closer to the Mustang than the F1's and NASCAR's.

I added a couple button magnets in the area directly under the axle, on both sides of the gear bump; it improved traction and handling tremendously without sacrificing much in speed. Just be sure to paint the magnets or cover them with liquid electrical tape so they don't short the rails. You can drive the Mustang against a newer car in ghost car mode to help improve your skills. Just my .02 cents
            Last edited by carlosinseattle; 03-31-2018, 02:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Tru just put the long guide off the car and replace it with a short guide from another car and see how it runs. The guide flag will be easier to turn without the resistance of also turning the mag with it. The Mustang is one of the harder cars to tune.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
                Tru just put the long guide off the car and replace it with a short guide from another car and see how it runs. The guide flag will be easier to turn without the resistance of also turning the mag with it. The Mustang is one of the harder cars to tune.

Dave
                Hey Dave, the guide won't self center if you detach it from the spring loaded guide and magnet thing. And the movement isn't all that smooth so they handle terribly if they don't self center.

Comment

Gotcha...

Comment

Originally posted by carlosinseattle View Post
                    Hey Dave, the guide won't self center if you detach it from the spring loaded guide and magnet thing. And the movement isn't all that smooth so they handle terribly if they don't self center.
                    This is true.

Comment

Working...
                    X