Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variable Power Supply with Carrera Digital

Hey All,

So, I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to slots. Hope to make "rookie" status one of theses days, whatever that might be.

In a newsletter from CincySlots today I received info that they just received a new shipment of:

30V 10A 110V DC Power Supply Precision Variable Digital Adjustable, $99.99

Now I have seen mention of power supplies in posts related to slotting, but not quite sure what their purpose is for slotting. I mean, my track has a stock power supply to power the CU. My PC has its own PSU. Any other power by devices for mey PC have PSUs.

I do have a homemade power supply that I made from a PC PSU that I have on my workbench when tinkering with electronics to give me 3v, 5v, and 12 volt easily and quick.

When and where are these variable benchtop PSUs used in slotting? Are they somehow integrated with the track? How?

I realize this may cover all slotting systems, but since I am Carrera D132, I have posted here.

Thanks in advance,

TRU

Once you get into tire truing, braking in motors or running in gears, you can use it for that too. We use ours to dial in the exact voltage for the cars we are running.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by CincySlots View Post
      Once you get into tire truing, braking in motors or running in gears, you can use it for that too. We use ours to dial in the exact voltage for the cars we are running.

Bruce
      Thanks for the reply Bruce.

What do you mean by "dial in the exact voltage for the cars we are running"

Are you adjusting the voltage to the track dependent on the cars you are running?

TRU

Comment

Yes, I'm sure that's what he means.

This is more important in the analog world where non-magnet racing typically uses less voltage than magnet racing. With your digital system it's easy enough to adjust the cars power via the base unit. Different groups of cars will have differing motor levels. As an example, early Ninco's came with the 14K @ 14V motor while Slot.it's mostly come with the 21.5K @ 12V motor. To get the most out of each running non-mag will require improved controllers and adjustable power supplies.

And they will also prove useful if you move to also include D124.
        Last edited by kidvoltage; 03-13-2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kidvoltage View Post
          Yes, I'm sure that's what he means.

This is more important in the analog world where non-magnet racing typically uses less voltage than magnet racing. With your digital system it's easy enough to adjust the cars power via the base unit. Different groups of cars will have differing motor levels. As an example, early Ninco's came with the 14K @ 14V motor while Slot.it's mostly come with the 21.5K @ 12V motor. To get the most out of each running non-mag will require improved controllers and adjustable power supplies.

And they will also prove useful if you move to also include D124.
          Thanks!!!

Love communicating with you all. Get a little smarter everyday!

TRU

Comment

That's correct but we use it this for nonmag D132 and D124 cars as well. We run at a slightly lower voltage for both then stock voltges.

Bruce

Comment

Bruce, do you feel the cars act differently running at reduced voltage vs. running at lowered power via the base?

Comment

Bruce, will this power supply run 6 D124 Carrera cars? (130ft.) If so, what voltage do you turn it up for that to happen? What happens when a car shorts out the track? Do you lose your lap times and data with this new PS?

Comment

Tom,

why are you repeating asking the same questions?

We discussed the 6 car/power supply/short circuit detection/power booster at length in one of your other threads:http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...53#post1039153

We also addressed your lap counter issues here: http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...88#post1040188

You are going in circles....

Seb

Comment

Sorry Seb,
                    You are 100% correct! I will stop asking the same ole stupid crap! You have given me the best advise I can get so I totally understand your frustration in me. I am sure you guys have better things to do than keep reading my dumb repeated post. Promise no more crap posts!
                    Tom

Comment

Not frustrated - just wondering....

Cheers.

Seb

Comment

Hi Everyone... I'm new here. I'm just getting into Carrera Digital Racing and related to this thread , I have problems with power on my four-lane Digital Carrera track. I'm running five Digital 1/32 cars and one Digital 1/24 car on the stock D132 14.8V transformer.

So I'm considering getting a Variable Power Supply 30Volts upto 10Amp and plan to set it at 18Volts and not more than 4amps. on my track.

I wanted to know if this will damage my D132 cars as I read online in some places that 18V may be too much for D132 cars?

The reason I run D124 along with D132 is because the D124 is faster as a ghost car and provides for some competitive racing. What's the maximum recommended Voltage and Amps I can set the Variable PSU for D132 and D124 cars on the same track ?

Any advice is appreciated :-)

Comment

Hey talljonny,

I use a variable aftermarket power supply. I've run D132 cars on 18 v many times with no issues. That said, I don't know if I'm shortening the lifespan of the chip in those cars by doing that so I really am not necessarily advising that you do it too. Also, those cars fly when run at 18 v so you may have plenty of accidents if lesser drivers are at the wheel... I've also run D124 cars on 14 v and most run just fine, although they may not achieve their maximum speed even when you're pressing the controller plunger all the way. But that's actually a good way to limit the number of accidents when the kids are driving.

I would say 18 is the "safe" maximum voltage for both D132 and D124 cars, just because that's what Carrera decided to go with in their D124 stock transformer. Some more knowledgeable members here may disagree and if that's the case I defer to them as I'm certainly not an expert. And as for the amps, I believe 7 amps is the safe maximum for the CU (30352) and 5 amps for the Black Box (30344). Again, anyone who knows better, please correct me.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hey talljonny,

I use a variable aftermarket power supply. I've run D132 cars on 18 v many times with no issues. That said, I don't know if I'm shortening the lifespan of the chip in those cars by doing that so I really am not necessarily advising that you do it too. Also, those cars fly when run at 18 v so you may have plenty of accidents if lesser drivers are at the wheel... I've also run D124 cars on 14 v and most run just fine, although they may not achieve their maximum speed even when you're pressing the controller plunger all the way. But that's actually a good way to limit the number of accidents when the kids are driving.

I would say 18 is the "safe" maximum voltage for both D132 and D124 cars, just because that's what Carrera decided to go with in their D124 stock transformer. Some more knowledgeable members here may disagree and if that's the case I defer to them as I'm certainly not an expert. And as for the amps, I believe 7 amps is the safe maximum for the CU (30352) and 5 amps for the Black Box (30344). Again, anyone who knows better, please correct me.

Hope this helps.
                            Last edited by myared; 05-02-2019, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Welcome to SCI talljonny...
                              myared is right on the numbers for the CU and BB. The CU is rated for 8a [so use a 7a fuse] and BB is rated for 6a [so use a 5a fuse] . I have an adjustable 20v 10a power supply, and I run mostly D1/24 cars and I only have a 6.5a fuse. Seems to be plenty of power.
                              If your issue is only with the D/124 car, another option is to just put a 12v motor in it and not need to buy a power supply. Cincyslots sells the RMS 12v motor that was designed specifically for Carrera D/124 cars as a drop in motor. 30,000rpm. I guarantee you will be turning the speed down at the CU.
                              Having said that, a variable power supply gives more options,[Especially if there are kids so the speed to the whole track can be lowered] and you won't be sorry if you buy one. I would install an inline fuse even if you set the amps at the power supply, just to be sure.
                              I run stock D/124 cars up to 20v with no issues.
                              And be sure to check the track joints and any jumper wires you may have around the track to make sure you are not losing power at those connections. Had you not mentioned the 1/24 car that would have been my first suggestion. Since you said you are just getting into digital, a good rule of thumb is a jumper about every 15'.
                              Randy
                              Last edited by 32lbKING; 05-02-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X