No announcement yet.

Wireless vs Wired Controllers Pros and Cons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love my wireless. The biggest plus for me beyond the obvious is being able to marshal while you drive which is a nice feature with kids. Speaking of kids... occasionally I have to go looking for a controller that wandered off.

Carrera's first foray into wireless was less than ideal. Controllers used AA batteries & Inferred which required line of sight which even if you could remember to maintain line of sight, others often didn't. 2.4 GHz is much, much better.

Comment

Truespeed wired - without a doubt the best experience for me...

Cheers!

Seb

Comment

Recharge and CU Sleep Mode

Something I'm curious about is the recharge time of batteries for the controllers and the Carrera CU going into sleep mode. Have not yet noticed the actual time the CU stays powered before it powers down to sleep mode.

Are the carrera wireless controllers ever getting a full charge? I believe out of the box directions state to let charge and hour before use. Not totally sure on that.

TRU

Comment

I can't get used to Carrera's thumb plunger controller so it is Truespeed wired for me as well. Great controllers for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by truwebs View Post
            Something I'm curious about is the recharge time of batteries for the controllers and the Carrera CU going into sleep mode. Have not yet noticed the actual time the CU stays powered before it powers down to sleep mode.

Are the carrera wireless controllers ever getting a full charge? I believe out of the box directions state to let charge and hour before use. Not totally sure on that.

TRU
            One of the benefits of having an extra BB/CU. I keep one powered off track with an adapter track and then plug my controller chargers into that. I then plug in a wired controller with it taped down, that way it never goes to sleep. I guess I do use wired controllers too.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by truwebs View Post
              Something I'm curious about is the recharge time of batteries for the controllers and the Carrera CU going into sleep mode. Have not yet noticed the actual time the CU stays powered before it powers down to sleep mode... TRU
              You can also bypass the Control Unit by connecting the power supply directly to the charger base with alligator clips.
              Last edited by carlosinseattle; 04-19-2018, 05:30 PM. Reason: verbiage

Comment

At least my way Carlos I get to use one of those let's stand next to the driver's station controllers instead of in the drawer. sorry..
                Dave

Comment

Cool... I've got an old BB from my original set & I have 132 & 124 transformer so I'll set up a charging station. It's not been too big a deal, I usually shop vac & swifter before racing & charging has just become part of the routine.

Comment

Cable Free

I'm in the process of changing from non Digital Ninco too Scalextric Arc Air on Ninco track. Still got a few bugs to work out. Hope to get it going this week . No change overs yet,get one bug worked out first before taking on another. Looking forward to running with no cables too trip over. The only problem I see down the road is trying too keep up with where you leave the controller
                    Last edited by Robert; 04-20-2018, 08:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      The only problem I see down the road is trying too keep up with where you leave the controller
                      This really does pop up! When testing/tuning or tweaking and repairing- you lay the controller down, pick up a screwdriver, then maybe go looking for some super glue or a razor knife...while I'm at it let me clean these braids and scuff these tires before I restart the software...now where the heck is that controller?!?

Comment

More than a few times if I didn't see where I left it after a cursory look I just grab another controller and program it. It eventually turns up.

dave

Comment

So what you're saying Dave is you need more controllers so you'll always have 6 on hand until the "lost ones" turn up.

Comment

Nah, after the 2nd lost one my cursory look turns into a scavenger hunt. One time one turned up in the bathroom. Took awhile to find that one.
                            Dave

Comment

Perhaps you just need a holster.

Comment

Working...
                              X