No announcement yet.

Carrera cam car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the camera car was first announced at the toy show it was promised to have FPV and work with the Carrera race app. A lot was promised, so much so that I was willing to buy it for almost any price. The integration of the Carrera digital specific features made it special. making a camera car isn't difficult, but having it "talk to" the Carrera protocols is what made it special. I guess it's not going to happen...but it doesn't hurt to dream

Comment

Originally posted by carlosinseattle View Post
      When the camera car was first announced at the toy show it was promised to have FPV and work with the Carrera race app....
      Exactly, that's what I thought made this car more than just "a car with a camera on it" that could be simply achieved by attaching a small GoPro on a rolling chassis.

I realize that making the camera talk to the Carrera digital system is probably not a straightforward thing to achieve, but for Carrera not to be able to make that happen despite the relatively lengthy development time is a bit of a surprise, especially given Carrera's resources.

I hope the decision to discontinue this project (at least "till further notice") is not emblematic of where Carrera is heading with its new owner, scrapping the development of any new projects to save some money...

Comment

myared - I think Carrera's concern is about the camera feed being hacked into, making it a security liability.

Comment

Most modern cameras can now wirelessly communicate with devices that have Bluetooth or wi fi. How do camera manufacturers deal with the hacking risk and why can't Carrera do the same?

Comment

An alternative to a Go Pro type camera would be an inexpensive keychain camera. I put one on a dedicated chassis, but they are small enough to go on the hood of many cars or even on an HO chassis. https://youtu.be/wGa6lWlU73I [youtube]wGa6lWlU73I[/youtube]

Comment

All the videos I have seen transmitted from a slotcar made my head spin.

Problem is the view is typically narrow and straight ahead. Every time you 'round a corner you get a blur of the trackside scenery, not the road ahead. A more panoramic view, aimed where the car is going would be more desirable. (Even neater would be the view tilting in the corners, to simulate what a real driver might see. You tilt your head going around a corner, yes?)

I thought about how angling the view could be done optically -- with lenses, mirrors or prisms -- and came up dry. No simple way to do it. So you have to rotate the camera. Mounting the camera on a pivoting platform, with a linkage to the guide shoe to rotate it might work. Getting enough force to rotate the camera would be the hard part. I'm not confident that problem could be solved without a servo.

Another possibility would be three cameras. One straight ahead, one pointing to the left and the other to the right. Once upon a time you could have used mercury switches to sense a turn and change cameras. No more. Hg is Ng. Accelerometers would be the solution today, but that will require some extra electronics.

A purpose-built setup could integrate everything nicely. But a home-made lashup might only work in 1/32nd or 1/24th scale.

The big issue is that slot track corners tend to be too tight. Certainly tracks built with plastic sections.

And a regular slotcar is too fast. Your camera car should be geared way the heck down so the video does not produce vertigo.

I have thought that it would be cool for all the cars in a race to have cameras, and the drivers have screens from which to drive. And then I thought -- shoot -- the much better solution would to go straight to a multi-player video game.

We've already done that. And dang it -- it ain't slot racing!

Ed Bianchi
              Last edited by HO RacePro; 08-16-2019, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by myared View Post
                Most modern cameras can now wirelessly communicate with devices that have Bluetooth or wi fi. How do camera manufacturers deal with the hacking risk and why can't Carrera do the same?
                Please let me explain... I hope I'm able to bring the reasons across in english.

The new regulations over here state, that the camera, if mounted on an unusual "carrier", has to be visible enough to not be used as a "spying device".
                (for instance, dolls with cameras were misused on several occasions) (drones on the other hand are meanwhile considered to carry a camera in general).
                We had to change the shape of the canopy a few times to achieve that..
                It didn't help, that the regulating body didn't know from the start, how much "visible" is enough.

Furthermore, the final nail in the coffin was a sudden demand to prevent the camera from recording and transmitting data when the car doesn't move.
                Hard- and software would have had to be modified again, and at this point, we weren't sure if that was the final necessary modification.
                Enough is enough, a lot of manpower already went into the development, and with a releasedate postponed again and again, the effect of this novelty was already vaporized.

Sorry about that, 10 years earlier it wouldn't have caused such problems..

Comment

Thanks Slottus. That makes more sense now... Couldn't Carrera put a clearly visible label on the outside of the car saying "there's a camera inside this car", or something like that?

Comment

It was supposed to be decorated with huge letters spelling "CAM CAR".
                    The camera was supposed to be covered by the opaque windshield/roofscoop-array.
                    When the windshield was removed, the camera was clearly visible, and illuminated letters on the spine of the canopy read "ON AIR".

But alas, there must be something more... we weren't sure, if there were more "necessary improvements" to be demanded afterwards again and again, like multilingual writing on the car, or pictograms, or braille... so it was canned.

Comment

It was supposed to be decorated with huge letters spelling "CAM CAR".
                      The camera was supposed to be covered by the opaque windshield/roofscoop-array.
                      When the windshield was removed, the camera was clearly visible, and illuminated letters on the spine of the canopy read "ON AIR".

But alas, there must be something more... we weren't sure, if there were more "necessary improvements" to be demanded afterwards again and again, like multilingual writing on the car, or pictograms, or braille... so it was canned.

Comment

Too bad... I really liked the concept...

Thanks for the insider info Slottus!
                        Last edited by myared; 08-21-2019, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Dual post... Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                          X