Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrera Lane changer problem

Hey all.
    one of my lane changers has gotten a bit lazy. The gate does not return all the way so it lies in the middle of the slot and the next car SLAMS into it. It is intermittent but happening more often. can this be repaired or do I need a new one. It can happen with any car - not specific to any car. It happens at any speed.

How new / old is it? If under warranty, that's always the best option.

It can be adjusted, somewhat. I'm surprised there isn't a tutorial somewhere on this.

Once you open up the track and see how the mechanism works, you'll see what's needed.

Comment

If you're switch is out of warranty, open it up and take a look. Many times this can be fixed by a good cleaning. Dust, hair, fur, etc can collect in the linkage.

Drewbert posted while I was composing! So I basically gave you a duplicate answer. But it's good advice anyway.

Comment

Just like to say that it's really funny the original post sat here unanswered for nearly a day, then Drewbert34 and I posted at the same time.

I did attempt to post yesterday, with more detail, but the post grew long, I looked up some data elsewhere to offer more detailed advice, and my login went to (this time unrecoverable) lala land.

So today the OP got the stripped down version. Send it back or open it up.

Sure wish they could fix this site.
        Last edited by b.yingling; 10-02-2018, 07:25 AM.

Comment

I think the key here is that it doesn't return. The return is mechanical so unless there is dust blocking the return the problem probably lies in the car guide. I have had this problem and sometimes the guide wears on the bottom and doesn't return the changer. Try swapping a guide and see if it works.
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
            I think the key here is that it doesn't return. The return is mechanical so unless there is dust blocking the return the problem probably lies in the car guide. I have had this problem and sometimes the guide wears on the bottom and doesn't return the changer. Try swapping a guide and see if it works.
            Dave
            He said it could happen with any car- not specific to any one car. So not likely a guide problem. This does happen with dirt/dust, etc in the linkage. Yesterday I wanted to verify that it always opens fine, but got really annoyed when the sight logged me out and then would not return with any of the usual tricks (click back, then forward, then wave a dead squirrel over your head, etc.)

Comment

I occasionally get bits of landscaping foliage in there and it causes this. I think the cars guide can push stuff along for a while and the switches are and easy spot for the debris to catch and stick. Hope that's all it is as it's an easy fix.

Comment

It happened once also to me.
                I saw one the internal spring lost its stiffness. I flat it a bit e re-put in place... until the next issue...

Comment

lane changer fixed

all good. took the lane changer apart. lots of dirt and grunge was causing the gate to remain open. still happens but rarely

thanks all.

Comment

Since you probably have a plastic-safe light oil to use on your car axles, you might also consider putting a drop in the pivot point of your lane changers. Can't hurt.

Comment

I just started having the same issue with one of my lane changers... I'll try opening it up and see if there's anything I can do to fix it.

Comment

I have the same problem with the cars hitting the lane change guide and stopping dead in their tracks. But the lane changer is brand new ?? No dust, no grime ???

Comment

I have the same problem with a brand new double lane changer. No dust. Any thoughts ?

Comment

Hello,

I have had this problem on several occasions and different lane changers. Everytime the solution seemed to be something else. What has worked:

1. Cleaning: compressed air (like used to clean computer keyboards), dumped cloth.
                            2. Oiling (with appropriate oil)
                            3. Use a brand new guide and go over the concerned LC several times.
                            4. Last one that worked: control lights. I have spot lights on the track, I noticed that simply shifting one of them would trigger the problem in a different LC. So I made sure that no spot was interfering with the working of any sensor. I guess that the change of natural light over the year could also trigger problems.

Hope this helps.

Pierre
                            Last edited by Pierre Menard; 01-09-2019, 08:46 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre Menard View Post
                              I have spot lights on the track, I noticed that simply shifting one of them would trigger the problem
                              I'm surprised how just a slight angle difference in my overhead lighting can effect the lane sensors. My lights are those cheap clamp on utility lights & when I have interference, I just tweak the angle of the light a bit and it clears it up.

I do it now without thinking but the first time it came up it had me stumped for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X