No announcement yet.

Life cycle length of Carrera technology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get it. Mostly, I was just spouting out my wish list in case Carrera are considering upgrades. While I love that Carrera lets me run my 1/24 cars, racing with the local Scalextric folks obviates the software gaps regardless of their origin (Carrera CU).

Comment

Carrera *could* do this, but I would be happily surprised if they ever do. When the CU came out, they removed fuel functions from the car chip and placed them in the CU. They could do something similar with the max speed and brake value functions, which would eliminate the need to send data messages to a moving car.

That would be a way to offer more functionality that didn't require a firmware or hardware upgrade to every existing car chip.
      Last edited by b.yingling; 03-29-2019, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by b.yingling View Post

An obvious and popular example would be all of the DTM cars: the BMW M4, Mercedes AMG, AUDI RS 5. The Corvettes and the Ford GTs and the Ferrari 458 would be another example in a different series/class of racing. While some of these may not have actually been on track competing directly against one another, they are definitely close enough for most slot racers.

For an historical example: they did release a Ferrari 512 running mate for the 917K in D124.

When I first started slot racing- I really didn't care about this. But now I must admit I like having cars on the track that 'look right together'.
        Donít forget the Ford GT40 MkII and the Ferrari 330P4.

Comment

I didn't mention them- maybe because they weren't really released as contemporaries in the market. The 330P4s were some of the very first D124 cars, and the GT40s were from several years later.

Comment

Originally posted by b.yingling View Post
            ... That's because every time a speed or brake command is sent to a moving car, you run the risk of 'transcoding' the car, which will revert it back to it's factory settings for brake, tank, speed, and worst of all- controller ID. Transcoding can happen if something interrupts the speed or brake command and prevents the car from receiving all of the data message (and this can happen, unfortunately, just from the small dead spots on lane changers).
            Hi Bruce, et al,

I am fairly new to Carrera D132 and have been using your HSSRMS which has added so much to racing, I thankyou for your efforts and I plan to register soon

Your above explanation of the transcoding issue does help one understand, however I wanted to mention I have seen a few times in practice, with Real Fuel mode switched on, that a car has been re-set to 100% power after sitting static and refueling. I understand it should be restoring the power level to a new (lower) value due to heavier tank, but occasionally you zip out of the pits at full blast and promptly exit the track!

Can you explain what's happening here (assuming you have seen this before)?

thanks

Comment

Yeah Trev mine does the same thing. I know there is something you can do but I don't remember what it was. I get around that by just resetting the speed while it's fueling in the pits. Definitely not ideal but I got used to it.

Comment

First: the CU handles all of the real mode simulation, where full tank=slower car. The software has nothing to do with that.

The software *is* likely causing your car to drive faster than you expect when leaving the pits, but what you describe isn't transcoding.

If you have the box checked to 'slow cars when out of fuel', then the software will lower the car's max speed when it runs out of fuel. When you take on fuel, the car's max speed will be reset. It will be reset as follows: if you have a speed/brake/tank setting saved for that exact car and driver, it will be used. If not, the software will check to see if you have a speed/brake/tank setting saved for that car. If so, that speed will be used. If neither of those two conditions are met, the software will use the system default speed.

If the car is just Car 1 or Car 2, or (whatever controller ID) because you haven't assigned a car to that ID, then the system default speed will automatically be used.

When running practice mode here, we almost never bother to match the car on track to the car the software *thinks* is on track. So a car that runs out of fuel may not have its speed reset to the value you expect.

The system default speed settings are accessible through the Advanced Mode/Settings pages.

It may be that the software is resetting the car's speed even if you don't have the box checked to slow cars when out of fuel. I don't think that is the case, but I'll take a look tonight just to be sure.
                Last edited by b.yingling; 04-22-2019, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks Bruce for the explanation. I do use the "slow car" option.

I will do some more testing on this as I was reasonably sure I had met the conditions you have outlined to have the car reset to the software saved value, that is, I have been careful to assign the practice cars their driver/car/ID identity along with having saved speed settings for at least the car, if not car & driver.

Perhaps that last point is an area that needs careful reviewing.

Also note on "Fuel: On" mode, the speed did reset to the saved value, not 100%, with the same driver/car/ID identity settings I used in the Real mode test.

I'll get back to you if I find something outside the expected functionality now I have a better understanding.

Comment

That's curious. The software makes no distinction between fuel 'On' and fuel 'Real'. It changes a line of text in the status bar of the Advanced Mode screen, but internally both are treated exactly the same. So definitely let me know if this keeps occurring. Also, I'd like to know what version of CU firmware you are using.

No need to have a save driver&car speed setting. All that does is override any saved car setting, which will override the system default. The absence of a driver&car setting or a car setting has no effect- only the presence of either (or both) makes a difference.

Comment

How do you read the CU version, is it visible in HssRms?

I don't have the wireless adapter which I assume is the usual way of checking it

Comment

It's at the bottom of the race length page in Easy Mode and in the status bar at the bottom of the main form in Advanced Mode.

Comment

For trev63:

I did find a reason why car's may not have their personal speed restored properly in practice mode, and instead be reset to the system default. If the software was not manually used to set the car's speed before the practice session was started (and there shouldn't be a reason to do this most of the time), then the saved speed would not properly be recorded/calculated for that ID. This wasn't an issue when starting a race, as race mode always forces you to set the car's speeds if you have the box checked. I should have a fix out by next week.
                          Last edited by b.yingling; 04-24-2019, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Ah, that must be it. The software speed set does not auto run for practice like it does for a race.

btw, my CU firmware is 5330.

Comment

Working...
                            X