Chicane Track?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicane Track?

Well lets see if we have anyone that's come back home here and get this party started. I guess this is mainly for Digital users because I can see a need for the analog guys that might want to use these to change things up a bit. Personally I don't see a need for them on a digital track as you have enough to think about. Buts that's me. What do you think?
    I use Chicanes Digital
    12.50%
    I use Chicanes Analog
    0%
    I don't use Chicanes
    87.50%

I'll start this by saying I had a chance to race on a Digital track not long ago that had a couple of chicanes and it created a lot of deslots until you got used to them. They created more areas to think about in advance. That being said I still didn't like them as I felt they weren't needed to add to the excitement.
    Dave

Comment

I run digital only. There is more than enough to think about and plan for in digital racing. I don't need the added gimmick of an awkwardly narrow de-slot section.

An actual chicane- that is, a spot on the track that forces the driver to slow down- I am all for those when needed. My track has two in front of lane changers.

Comment

Hi Dw555. I do not run digital but while chicanes were a novelty when I was a kid they are just a lost passing opportunity now. The same applies to sweezes. I appreciate chicanes are a feature of full sized tracks but usually to slow things down for safety reasons. I am yet to see one of my plastic drivers hurt in a crash. I have only raced digital a couple of times but agree there is enough to contend with.. Regards Chas Le Breton

Comment

I had chicanes in when I originally set up my track (Scaley analog) but didn't like them as they just caused too many deslots. They're gone.

Comment

I agree with what's been said above. I'm analog Carrera...

Comment

I raced on the same track with Dave, and my thoughts are I can take them or leave them. It definitely took some getting used to but was kind of fun. We had a couple of amazingly close calls at pretty good speed. But we were only running 2 cars on digital. If there would have been more cars running I think it would have been much more to think about and definitely more offs. I use the LC part of a Carrera digital chicane [or narrow section as Carrera calls it] in my Digital track, but it is just used to get a smoother entrance to the pit lane, not as an actual squeeze. So I voted no on the pole.
              I bought a standard Carrera chicane years ago, but have never installed it. I definitely would not use one if younger kids were racing [although they would love it for intentional crashing].
              Randy

Comment

Carrera digital here, and no chicanes. Have kids and enough trouble with deslotting cars due to lane change accidents, I don't need any more drama on the track. Seriously thinking of getting anti collision chips for my lane changers, but dreading the install...

Comment

The anit-collision chips aren't that bad. Worst part for me was disassembling the track to get to the LCs! The actual install in the lane changer was fairly straightforward, and easier to follow once the lane changer was in hand.

Comment

Yes, accessing the LCs, as part of the "install" is also by far my biggest concern with putting in anti-collision chips on my track...
                    Last edited by myared; 04-05-2019, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I have an anti-collision device still in the package. Modifying the lead-in track is the part I'm stuck on. While I know it can be repaired with a jumper wire, I struggle with modifying a perfectly good track section.

Comment

I get that. I usually go slow and try to remove the rail connecting tab in such a way that I can re-use it and place it back in the track.

Comment

And how has that worked out for you?

Comment

Had one. Took it out. No need for it in digital.

Comment

Originally posted by myared View Post
                              Carrera digital here, and no chicanes. Have kids and enough trouble with deslotting cars due to lane change accidents, I don't need any more drama on the track. Seriously thinking of getting anti collision chips for my lane changers, but dreading the install...
                              That's me all the way through. My initial set came with chicane sections and I replaced them with double lane changer and haven't looked back.

Comment

Working...
                              X