Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital chips

Hey guys... Couple of questions regarding carrera digital chips:

1- I've had two Exlusiv 204XX series cars (not factory ready to install a digital chip in) be fitted with a 26732 digital chip, and they work perfectly fine. So the question is, if 124 scale cars like these work perfectly well with this chip that is designed for 132 cars, why would there be a separate chip (20763) used by Carrera for 124 cars? Why not use the 26732 chip on all digital 132 and 124 cars?

2- Speaking of the 26732 chip, I see two variants that are available online. One is blue with protruding arms of unequal length, and the other is green with protruding arms of equal length (see pics). Other than the shape and color, is there any difference between these two, like in terms of functionality and/or compatibility and fit in cars?

Thanks.
    Last edited by myared; 04-05-2019, 02:57 PM.

Electronics that take up more space are cheaper.

Comment

Another factor is that the Carrera D124 cars are designed to run at 18 volts vs the 13.8 volts on the D132 cars....The 20763 chip has heavier duty components to handle the extra power . I run some of my 26732 D132's at 19 volts but have smoked a couple of them doing it....so it works to use a 26732 on a D124 but i don't think it has as long of a life expectancy as a 20763. They also haven't touched the design of that chip since 2005 when it came out.

The re-design on the 26732 happened a couple of years ago - the C7R Corvette's were one of the first cars with it. They are functionally the same, the newer one is easier to package for chipping other vehicles. Their volume on D132 chips is a lot higher than D124 so there was a bigger benefit to them to optimize that design....

Cheers

Ed
      Last edited by edmagner; 04-06-2019, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Plus there is the rumor going round that the replacement blue chip is not as robust as the old green chip. Not exactly rumor, it seems that there has been a lot of failure with the newer chips.
        However the design of the new blue chips fits a lot better in cars that previously you had to do a lot of cutting to make fit in non digital cars.
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by edmagner View Post
          Another factor is that the Carrera D124 cars are designed to run at 18 volts vs the 13.8 volts on the D132 cars....The 20763 chip has heavier duty components to handle the extra power . I run some of my 26732 D132's at 19 volts but have smoked a couple of them doing it....so it works to use a 26732 on a D124 but i don't think it has as long of a life expectancy as a 20763....

Ed
          So it sounds like when possible, it's better to use the D124 chip (on a 124 scale car) instead of the D132 because one gets better longevity with the D124 chip, even though both chips would adequately do the job otherwise. Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by myared View Post

So it sounds like when possible, it's better to use the D124 chip (on a 124 scale car) instead of the D132 because one gets better longevity with the D124 chip, even though both chips would adequately do the job otherwise. Is that correct?
            Yes, that's what I would do... just another FYI, I have never had a 20763 chip fail..

Comment

True also, I only have 1 1/24 chip in my recycle pile and probably had 8-9 1/32 chips go bad over the years.
              Dave

Comment

Hmm... Makes we wonder if I should insist that D124 chips be used in my future conversion work of Exclusiv cars that someone with a lot more skills than I will be doing for me. He says it's much easier to work with and fit a D132 chip on those cars with less need to cut out parts of the chassis, which of course is completely understandable. But if that means I may have to replace those chips much sooner than I would D124 ones, then maybe I can convince him to try and fit D124 chips. Food for thought...

Comment

Working...
                X