35k RPM motor upgrade for Carrera digital cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35k RPM motor upgrade for Carrera digital cars

Has anyone changed the 18k motors for higher reving ones? I've purchased a few 35k motors and upgraded several cars. I've noticed a drop in power around the track. Should I upgrade the transformer ? Can anything be done ?? Thank you.
    Last edited by Heat; 05-24-2019, 12:15 PM.

Mornin Heat. Couple of questions. How big is your track? Are you running the stock transformer? Do you have any jumpers around your track? If you don't have any jumpers that would be the 1st thing to add. A jumper every 15 feet should be fine or at least 1 jumper before every lane changer. That should take care of any power drop. As far as a new power supply that is a great option as they can be had off eBay for $60 or less but you still need jumpers. Are the motors the Carrera tuning motors? Why did you see the need for such high RPM? Take a gander at my motor comparison write up. The write up is for 1/24 cars but all the motors I put in are all 1/32 motors but one and that is the RMS motor (1/24) which is also a 30K motor but is really undriveable with that much power.
    Dave
    http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ent-comparison

Comment

A motor with a higher RPM rating would not always have more power than one with a lower rating. Power is calculated using both RPM and torque measurements. There is a listing of RPM, torque and power measurements for many motors here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...BNU/edit#gid=0. The list has not been updated for several years however. I do not race 1/24th Carrera cars, we do race the 1/32nd cars without traction magnets however and Slot.it 21.5K or Piranha motors are about all those can take and still be driveable. You would probably have to try several motors to find one that works well. A good regulated variable power supply would be a good investment. It is a lot easier to bump up the voltage a little than to change motors.
      Last edited by RichD; 05-27-2019, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Hi DW. My track is 105 ft long. I have jumpers installed but maybe not enough. This is a D 132 track, I can change the stock transformer ? Could you recommend one please? Brand? Model ?The motors I am using are Slotdevil 35k. They come pre-wired for Carrera. Now, the reason for the motor upgrades, well, the racing changes from a game or toy to a racing sim. More fun. Couple that with racing tires and it's a totally different "game". I understand Carrera used to sell upgrade motors ?

Comment

The problem you may run into is the CU is only rated for 8 amps. Some of the hotter motors out there draw 3-4 amps on startup which limits the amount of cars you can run. We can't post links on here but if you search eBay for "30V 10A adjustable power supply" you will get what you need. They are $50 shipped. Since you are running hot motors I would recommend an inline fuse holder (auto store) with a 7.5A fuse.
          Dave

Comment

Thank you very much !! Sounds like a cheap fix !

Comment

Thank's again DW and all. I have jumpers installed but pretty randomly placed. The track being 105 ft, should the jumpers all start from the start track or go from one track to another simply ?

Comment

Thank's again DW. Just ordered a 30v 10a from ebay. Let you know how it goes. No chance of burning out anything with that new power supply, right ? :-)

Comment

What I did was run a set of jumpers from the 1st track after the CU to a terminal board and than run jumpers out from there.. No problem with the power supply. You adjust the voltage with the knob. I run mine at 17V (keep it under 20V) to make up for any lazy lane changers and the adjust the speed with the CU.I find most of my cars run at 20-30% power on the CU (at 17V) depending on what motor I have in the car.
                  Last edited by dw5555; 06-03-2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

When you say terminal board, you mean like a board with 2 inputs and several connectors for outputs to the track, right ? So 2 wires from the 1st track after CU and several from the terminal board to the track ? Thank's again DW.

Comment

Dave, would it be possible for you to please post a picture of the terminal board you're using?

Comment

I would like to see the terminal also :-)

Comment

I wish I knew electrical terms because this was actually the wrong terminal block but I made it work. If I had to do it all over again I would buy 2 blocks and use 1 block for each wire. So you run the wires from the CU track to the block and then branch out from this. Keep the wires separate (left side rail, right side rail). If you don't your CU will beep like crazy. I would hook up 1 set of wires at a time and turn on the CU and make sure it doesn't beep. If it doesn't continue on. Nothing worse than hooking up all the wires at once and turning on the CU only to have it beep and having to go back and find out which wire you have crossed. Ask me how I know that. LOL

Comment

I wish I knew electrical terms because this was actually the wrong terminal block but I made it work. If I had to do it all over again I would buy 2 blocks and use 1 block for each wire. So you run the wires from the CU track to the block and then branch out from this. Keep the wires separate (left side rail, right side rail). If you don't your CU will beep like crazy. I would hook up 1 set of wires at a time and turn on the CU and make sure it doesn't beep. If it doesn't continue on. Nothing worse than hooking up all the wires at once and turning on the CU only to have it beep and having to go back and find out which wire you have crossed. Ask me how I know that. LOLDscn1949.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X