Wireless reception woes - at complete loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless reception woes - at complete loss

Update: After my original post, I continued troubleshooting and found the culprit (below). My original thoughts as to the reason of the issue was not the case at all, so I removed that text. For now, I have a work-around that will allow me to use my track as normal, while continuing to determine the actual point of failure as I'll detail below.

Updated issue overview:
    Very poor wireless performance/reception (connectivity to cars) via control unit 30352 and wireless receiver 10112 with two charging bases attached (for four total controllers) and controller(s) docked for charging. CU is running software v337; hardware is v5 (info from Carrera race app).

Trigger:
    CU is on, two charging bases are attached, but no controllers docked, car reception is perfect and no issues are noticed. Docking (adding) a controller to either docking station, causes an immediate degradation of connectivity where the controller must be within inches and/or very close line of sight with wireless receiver for car functionality to be restored. If controller is further away than about a foot, connectivity ceases and is not restored until brought back near to receiver.

Temporary fix:
    Connectivity is restored when CU is powered off, all docked controllers are removed, and then powered back on.

Possible culprit causes:
    1. Firmware update issue??
    2. Power. After my original post, I thought about the possibility of a short, even though I experienced no abnormal power issues, it got me thinking. First thing I did was disconnect my CU from the rest of my track, which is an 8' x 16' layout with four taps (two per lane) coming from the CU rails out to the rest of the track. As soon as I did that wireless reception was restored. At this point I am down to either A) the stock Carrera 1/32 inverter is not providing sufficient power for all accessories and as soon as a controller is added, the wireless receiver suffers or B) the possibility that one of my taps, although taped, covered, and appearing to be good, is not making contact with a rail and the addition of a controller is the perfect storm.
    I still need to test on whether or not the issue presents itself when only one charging station is attached and a controller is docked. If so, that might point to a faulty connection at the CU or back to a low power issue - which is my gut feeling thus far, but I want to rule out any other possibilities.

Thank you.
    Last edited by ILSlot; 08-11-2019, 05:37 PM.

Where is Bruce or Ed when you need them. They're our guru's when it comes to this kind of stuff. What you have is definitely dumbfounding and I don't think I've seen this problem on the boards. I think your problem is going to be down to the adapter track or the charging unit. I like where your are going with your last suggestion about trying 1 station at a time. To take it a step further, plug the charging station in 1 port, try it and then move it to another adapter track and see if it still does it. If it cures the problem you have a bad adapter track. That's as far as my electronic knowledge will take me. Keep posting.
    Dave

Comment

With digital systems there is full voltage across the track rails at all times. If you had a dead short the CU or power supply would probably shut down. If you had a partial short the voltage might be too low for the CU to operate correctly. Having jumpers increases the chances of having some sort of a short. Do some voltage readings across the track rails and see what you see.

Comment

Where are the charging stations relative to the CU and/or nearest power tap?
        Have you considered putting the charging docks on a shelf somewhere, powered by their own wall-wart? They don't need to be connected to the track, just given about 12v DC, I believe.

Comment

Good idea trying just one station at a time. I'd also try plugging them into different adapter tracks (or the CU directly) to try and determine what is at fault. I would say it's certainly in either one/both (not likely both!) of the charging stations, or the adapter track(s) they are plugged into.
          Last edited by b.yingling; 08-12-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the input all. It will probably be this weekend before I will have the time to test and follow up.

Comment

I had this exact same problem last year...and after a bunch of trouble shooting, I found the problem to be my new wireless router I installed in my home. I have a ranch style home and to get better reception of my wireless network, I put in a powerful wide range router and installed it above my dropped ceiling in my basement, in the middle of my home. This was right above my track, and again, the exact same problems were occurring. I would restart everything and it would go away for a bit, then suddenly the range of my wireless controllers would just change if I docked a controller. After a lot of trouble shooting, I finally thought about what had changed and moved my router. Problem went away...weird I know.

Hope you can find the issue...maybe you have the same thing going on.

Chris

Comment

I had this exact same problem last year...and after a bunch of trouble shooting, I found the problem to be my new wireless router I installed in my home. I have a ranch style home and to get better reception of my wireless network, I put in a powerful wide range router and installed it above my dropped ceiling in my basement, in the middle of my home. This was right above my track, and again, the exact same problems were occurring. I would restart everything and it would go away for a bit, then suddenly the range of my wireless controllers would just change if I docked a controller. After a lot of trouble shooting, I finally thought about what had changed and moved my router. Problem went away...weird I know.

Hope you can find the issue...maybe you have the same thing going on.

Chrisp

Comment

This is great information! I would not be at all surprised if something similar isn't going on here.

Comment

Hi guys. My apologies for the long delay. I've gotten busy with life and the track issues went on the back burner. My daughter wanted to run the cars tonight and it gave me a chance to continue troubleshooting. I tried disconnecting the wireless router. No change. Next I tried the disconnecting and reconnecting of the charging docs. No change. Again, as soon as I docked a controller, instant issues. However, it was here with my daughter and her impatientience as a child to not see her car respond to controller input, that she picked up another available controller hit the throttle. I noticed that both her car and mine were moving. No biggy I must have coded two cars to the same controller and began to remap the cars. When we started to drive again, I noticed it was still occuring again. In deeper troubleshooting I noticed no matter how many times I individually remapped the cars, each car would respond to input from each controller. Frustrated, I reset the CU and decided to unplug the wireless receiver. As I re-paired the controllers to the dongle, it dawned on me that there are 6 channels and I had been setting each controller to channel 1 and maybe that was the culprit. Once I moved each controller to a separate channel, everything worked as expected. I could not believe it. I'm going to race again here soon and ensure the issues are resolved but in the few minutes I had after the channel change, all was well.

Comment

Working...
                    X