Replacing Carrera COT NASCAR Rear assembly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Carrera COT NASCAR Rear assembly

Our club is trying to use Carrera COT NASCARs for IROC. I have replaced the rear tires with silicones but it seems the cars are still running flintstone wheels. One of the guys in the club took a good look and noticed that the wheels were not drilled in the center. So I guess I need to replace the wheels. Which might mean replacing the axle. Which might mean replacing the gears. Anyone ever done this before and can offer me advice?

Just another idea, here. What silicone tire did you use? If they weren't Supertires, you may want to consider just trying a set of those and see what you get. They seem to improve these cars more than anything else I've tried.

If it comes to it, you can replace the rear axle assembly with slot.it parts. Axle, wheels, gear. Do not buy a slot.it axle assembly billed as being 'made for Carrera'. It will have bushings in it that fit chassis that Carrera hasn't used for years. If it's cheaper than buying seperate pieces, it may still be worth it- just relaize that the bushings do not fit the COT chassis (or any other Carrera chassis from the last 5 years). If you go this route, you will probably have to dremel a bit of the motor pod screw mount post away to make the crown gear fit.

Comment

You mean replacing the back end on a Carrera car? Yes I have. And just to illustrate what you're asking here, I've replaced the running gear on a Carrera Nascar.
      Open up the car.

You will need the bearings from the car (I used the stock bearings), a Slot It axle, a Slot It gear, and Slot Car Corner Nascar wide wheels (SC1510S) or the narrower wheels depending on your preference, and 1007/1008/1009 Super Tires to fit those wheels.

The gear hub probably will hit this small tower that holds the pod in place, just shave it down a bit with a knife.

Also on the chassis:

Reassemble the rear end.

Put on the tires. Check that the axle spins smoothly.

What it looks like done:

It took me about 10 minutes to do the whole thing... but I happened to have all the needed parts.
      Last edited by DaveKennedy; 08-19-2010, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveKennedy View Post
        You will need the bearings from the car (I used the stock bearings), a Slot It axle, a Slot It gear, and Slot Car Corner Nascar wide wheels (SC1510S) or the narrower wheels depending on your preference, and 1007/1008/1009 Super Tires to fit those wheels.
        Let's see...
        Slot-It Axle $7
        Slot-it Gear $7
        Slot Car Corner NASCAR wide wheels $10
        Super Tires $6

$30 EACH to get them running better. On a $25/$30 car. I think I will pass and our club will look into other IROC cars. Thanks though for the very detailed description.

Comment

Originally posted by eaddict View Post
          Let's see...
          Slot-It Axle $7
          Slot-it Gear $7
          Slot Car Corner NASCAR wide wheels $10
          Super Tires $6

$30 EACH to get them running better. On a $25/$30 car. I think I will pass and our club will look into other IROC cars. Thanks though for the very detailed description.

We put Super tires $6 on our $30 Scaley COTS. Fast and fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Black3sr View Post
            We put Super tires $6 on our $30 Scaley COTS. Fast and fun.
            Or you can do just that and buy tires and true wheels...

Comment

Sloting plus universal wheels @ $7 pr.+ slotit. crown gear $7 + slotit. axle $2= $16 per car.
              Not sure if the tires on your nascars would fit. If not add indy grips for $5.

Or, buy a four pack of slotit. press-on plastic wheels and indy grips, $7.50 per car. I recal reading slotit. claims their plastic wheels have less than .050mm. or .002in. runnout, very good for plastic.

Replacing the stock plastic wheels is the FIRST thing I do on almost all cars that come with them.
              Stock, plastic wheels are pure rubbish. The slotit plastic wheels are much better than the manufacturers wheels.

Last edited by Moby Dick; 08-19-2010, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Good advice, Moby. My thoughts on the pricing issue were very similar to yours.

slot.it axle $2, slot.it crown gear $7, slot.it plastic wheels $3, and slot.it sillys $4.50 for $16.50 per car. No need to buy Supertires at $6 per pair if you upgrade the rest of the drive train. At least not for an IROC.

If the car originally cost $25 as stated, then you'd have some nice running IROC opponents at $41 a piece.
                Last edited by b.yingling; 08-20-2010, 05:13 AM.

Comment

That axle replacement is cool. I didn't know Carrera Nascars had pods.
                  Last edited by Nor Cal Mike; 08-22-2010, 02:56 PM. Reason: Sorry Non Carrera Recommendation

Comment

Working...
                  X