Startlight across 4 lanes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Startlight across 4 lanes

I was asked about the clearance of 1/24 cars and the new Startlight. Rather than bury that answer there, since I thought it would be important and a question that would come up again, I thought I'd post these photos here.

I'd say that clearance would not be an issue. But putting the Startlight just after a corner where the cars would most likely *not* be going in a straight line probably wouldn't be a good idea. After the start/finish line at the end of a straight would be the best bet. The cars do have plenty of room to clear the sides of the Startlight gantry.

Thank you for posting the pictures! That certainly answers my questions about how the Startlight would work when using 4 lanes and the larger 1/24 scale cars. I think this should have its own thread to make it easier for people to find.

I'm definitely going to have to get one of those new start towers as soon as I get caught up from Christmas...

Robert

Comment

Does the 4-lane start-light indicate that a 4-lane lap counter, or some sort of expansion/sensor track is planned to be released, so we can have a working 4 lane finish line?

Comment

Originally posted by 356speedster View Post
        Does the 4-lane start-light indicate that a 4-lane lap counter, or some sort of expansion/sensor track is planned to be released, so we can have a working 4 lane finish line?
        No I'm sorry Tore.

Comment

I know you're a diehard analog racer considering an expansion into digital, and I don't want to offend you, but IMO a four lane start/finish line kind of cuts against one of the beauties of digital.

How many race tracks in the world offer a four lane start finish? Answer: almost exactly the same as the number of four lane slot car tracks. Plus, if you really push it, a few NASCAR ovals. Maybe RC does this as well, I have no idea.

Comment

If your layout has a long pit/paddock passing the start/finish line, the startlight could stretch over both the racing lanes and pit lanes. That could ne nice.

Comment

Originally posted by b.yingling View Post
              I know you're a diehard analog racer considering an expansion into digital, and I don't want to offend you, but IMO a four lane start/finish line kind of cuts against one of the beauties of digital.

How many race tracks in the world offer a four lane start finish? Answer: almost exactly the same as the number of four lane slot car tracks. Plus, if you really push it, a few NASCAR ovals. Maybe RC does this as well, I have no idea.
              No offense taken Bruce I'm just trying to learn the possibilities and limitations of the system before making the investment. We don't have any Carrera retailers over here that stocks much more that a couple GO sets, so I have to order everything abroad, which means planning the layout and purchases well to avoid spending as much on shipping as on the the track itself, or waiting another 3 weeks for a missing piece of the puzzle.

I'm probably gonna go for a 2 lane pit-straight to start with, just got to play with the layout software a bit more and see what comes out of it

BTW: If I use two separate pitlanes, one for re-fueling and one for the pace car, is the best location for the pace car pit before the re-fuel pit? I'm hoping to use the pace car for rolling starts and it would be natural if the pace car leaved the track before the start line. I think I read somewhere that this should work, would just be good to get it confirmed.

Comment

You can have a four-lane start/finish right now, as long as you have a CU, which you obviously do.

Two of the lanes are the regular start/finish. The third and fourth lanes are both pit-lane adapters in default mode, so they count laps.

Yes, this means that someone could stop on the track to refuel, but if you really want a four-lane front straight right now, this is how you can do it.

- - -

I placed my pace-car parking space right before my main pit with the start/finish parallel to the main pit. This way, the pace car pulls off right before the start/finish on a rolling start or re-start.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa999 View Post
                  You can have a four-lane start/finish right now, as long as you have a CU, which you obviously do.

Two of the lanes are the regular start/finish. The third and fourth lanes are both pit-lane adapters in default mode, so they count laps.
                  Sorry, but this is not a good solution. I've done a lot of testing along these lines. The problem is the timing differences between the CU and the pit adapters. If you push lined up cars across the s/f, the cars crossing the pit adapters will always be counted last. A car 1 inch ahead on the pit adapter will still be counted last. The pit adapters timing resolution is only 75ms, I assume this is what causes the problem.

Comment

Bummer. So it would work for getting credit for the lap, but when lap-time really mattered, drivers would need/want to fight to get into one of the CU's lanes, defeating half the point. Way sub-optimal, eh? Makes me wonder why Carrera made other event codes besides the start/finish line available? Why would someone accept a lower resolution for a split-time than a lap time?

My track is glued down, so I can't test this, but I assume that the time-stamp in the packet for a crossing of an adapter's sensor is "rounded up" to the next 75 ms step, as opposed to being accurate but reported later.

Comment

They probably figured in the pits it didn't matter. The only time someone would care would be the end of the race (so they wouldn't be pitting anyway).

Unfortunately, at the end of the race you really care!

Yes, the timing info is rounded off.

Comment

So, the upshot is that if someone really wanted a four-lane front straight right now, they'd either have to face the fact that some lanes would be better than others (at the finish) or use four pit-lane adapters so every lane was equally imprecise. Gag. But, as Bruce said, more than two lanes goes a bit against the core concept of digital, so this limitation probably won't hurt too many people.

Sure wish that I'd known about the low resolution of the pit-lane adapter before going to the trouble of moving the sensor on my pit lane to be exactly square to the sensors at my start/finish line. (I was worried that someone would try to enter the pits at full speed, hoping to get to the pit's sensor before someone else reached the start/finish line.) But thanks for the info.

Comment

Just exploring the possibilities here

If you have the lap-counter, then is it the lap-counter that is used as the "finish line" where laps are counted regardless of if you use a black-box or the new CU?

If this is correct then I assume you could have 4-lanes(or 3 + pit-lane) where the black-box/CU and start-light is located. You just have to squeeze the track into two lanes (using the chicane parts) before the lap-counter, right?
                          Last edited by 356speedster; 03-30-2011, 05:56 AM.

Comment

If you have the lap-counter, then is it the lap-counter that is used as the "finish line" where laps are counted regardless of if you use a black-box or the new CU?
                            Nope. With a BB, laps are counted when you cross the lap counter. With a CU, laps are counted when you cross the CU. A lap counter is almost a negative with the new CU.

Comment

Dave, this starlight isn't supposed to work with the black box?

Comment

Working...
                              X