Issues with 1/30 High banked curve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with 1/30 High banked curve

Just purchased this set of 6 which resulted in quite a steep turn.

My cars in the outer lane produce quite some noise but can make the turn fairly easy.
    The inner track is a real challenge. Either my cars go to slow and slide down.

If I try to compensate this and speed up I loose control and the cars crash.

Any hints or tips? I like a new challenge but hoped that the 1/30 should give me some more room to speed up in a corner because of the downward force?

Still a newbie :-(

The problem with the R1 banked curve is that the turn is too tight for some cars and the ground clearance on the cars is not enough. I do not know which style of cars you are running but if they sit low then the front and back can scrape. This lifting of the chassis also moves your magnet further away from the rails which means less force holding on. Some cars go through the banked R1 fine but others will come to a dead stop. You have a few choices:

1. Only run cars that will go through the R1 bank.
    B. Modify your cars to enable them to go through the curve.
    III Take the banked R1 out.
    d. Set up and take down your track to fit with the cars you want to run.

I tried splitting the tracks up and only using 2 at a corner and putting a 1/4 straight in between them. This did not allow me to have a set up that I liked on my small table so I ended up selling the R1. With more detail about your set up and cars I am sure you will get a lot of ideas to help you make it work.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Hkyfanatic View Post
      The problem with the R1 banked curve is that the turn is too tight for some cars and the ground clearance on the cars is not enough. I do not know which style of cars you are running but if they sit low then the front and back can scrape.
      Tom, I am driving the DTM Touring range of cars. Low clearance Audi and Mercedes cars.

This lifting of the chassis also moves your magnet further away from the rails which means less force holding on. Some cars go through the banked R1 fine but others will come to a dead stop. You have a few choices:

1. Only run cars that will go through the R1 bank.
      B. Modify your cars to enable them to go through the curve.
      III Take the banked R1 out.
      d. Set up and take down your track to fit with the cars you want to run.
      My best option would be to sell them as well... Pitty but let's see what they do on Ebay. Thanks for your advice!

I tried splitting the tracks up and only using 2 at a corner and putting a 1/4 straight in between them. This did not allow me to have a set up that I liked on my small table so I ended up selling the R1. With more detail about your set up and cars I am sure you will get a lot of ideas to help you make it work.

Tom

Comment

I think you would like the R2 banked turn (a.k.a. K2) better. It works with any car, and lets you take the curve at nearly straightaway speed (depending on your layout).

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

For the future I am thinking of buying the bridge.

Will there be the same effect? If I closley look at the pictures the four track pieces seem to have some curve in it? My DTM cars run very closely to the track...

Theo.

Comment

Hi

The overpass track pieces are lightly S-curved, or bended if you like. Total height is somewhat variable between aprox 10-14 cm.
            I'm using it without any issues, allthough it's splitted in 2 sections, used as ramps on my layout.

Comment

Never had an issue with the bridge. I have used Carrera, Ninco, Monogram, Scaley cars....no issues at all....

Comment

Even if you don't have an overpass, the bridge pieces are great for adding elevation changes in your layout. Really good addition to a track.

Comment

The problem with these 1/30 or R! high banked curves is that THEY DON'T WORK.. I just wasted $100.00 cdn. Carrera should not sell them. What a waste.

Comment

I don't understand why Carrera continues to sell a product that is incompatible with their cars (and it says so right on the car cases)? What's the point? Either discontinue the 1/30 banked curve or modify the cars so they can run on them without issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Heat View Post
                      The problem with these 1/30 or R! high banked curves is that THEY DON'T WORK.. I just wasted $100.00 cdn. Carrera should not sell them. What a waste.
                      It Does Work. I have it in my setup (the track has been pulled apart for some time) and mostly all of my cars went thru even the inside turn. Yes they do scrape, that's to be expected with such a tight turn, I even have Fly trucks that go thru fine, but they have spring loaded flags.

Maybe you should modify a flag in your car with a spring loaded one like in the Fly Truck and give it a try. DSC_8999 copy.jpg DSC_9004 copy.jpg

Comment

Buy the new style bridge or use raised straight track.

Comment

Does raising the chassis of cars that are not compatible with the R1 banked curve solve the problem or do they still get stuck?

Comment

myared - I've yet to have a car get stuck. They scrape, so raising the chassis would solve it.

Comment

R 1 high banked curves also make it impossible to run autonomous cars as to set them to go fast enough for them not to fall off the R 1, they will be too fast for the other curves. To answer those who have modified their cars so they don't scrape with longer guides, you are changing the dynamics of the cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X