Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could imagine a pace car would not work either.
    A pace car would enter the pit and go right back out without stopping, so you wouldn't be able to use one without the pit entrance electronics. Most of time a pace car is set-up with its own pit so it isn't in the way of cars pitting, so if you are planning on running a pace car you may need the pit entrance electronics for that.

Randy

Comment

2 pit lanes - best location?

Relatively new to Digital but have picked up a lot here..

First, here is the hardware I have - a 30352 CU, new pit lane and an old pit lane, (6) 2.4 wireless controllers, 6 drivers displays, a PC interface, Bruce's software (Awesome!!), position tower and startlight -

I want to have the pace car running out of its own pit but am not sure of the proper location of the 2 pit lanes relative to each other and the CU as well as the nuances of lane changes prior to or between the 2 pit lanes.

I'm not sure how to make sure the pace car goes to the "correct" pit lane

Also wondering how to race 6 cars and have a pace car and a ghost car...which controller do I program the ghost car & pace car with or does it matter?

Sorry if this is covered in other posts - this seemed like the best place for this question.

Thanks

Ed

Comment

You can program the ghost/pace cars with any controller. Push the code button on the Control Unit twice for ghost and three times for pace car and then program them.

Comment

Dave - thanks for the reply on ghost/pace car programming. Any comments on the 2 pit lane placement?

Thanks

Ed

Comment

When using a CU, the pace car will begin to change lanes the second time you press the pace car button (first time you press it, the car leaves its pit). It will continue to change lanes until it enters a pit.

So if you time the button press just right, there isn't anything special you need to consider. You may also want to make sure the last lane changer before the pace car pit is a left to right change.

You can even take the precaution of making the last lane changer before the refueling pit a right-to-left. While that will help prevent the pace car from entering, it does make things more problematic for human drivers.

Comment

Mmmm.. I thought the old pit lane (for the pace car) should be placed before the new pit lane, if you want to refuel other cars at the new pit lane. That way the pace car will enter the right pit lane, ie the first one it encounters.

Comment

Originally posted by François View Post
                Mmmm.. I thought the old pit lane (for the pace car) should be placed before the new pit lane, if you want to refuel other cars at the new pit lane. That way the pace car will enter the right pit lane, ie the first one it encounters.
                Old or new pit makes no difference to the pace car. It doesn't refuel anyway.

It's behavior is slightly different with a CU as the powerbase. It will not change lanes and attempt to re-enter the pit until the pace car button is pressed a second time. Using a BB, it will automatically begin to change lanes and attempt to re-enter the pit after a certain BB determined timeout.

When using a BB, you have to place your lane changers such that the pace car will not be in the right hand lane when passing the re-fueling pit. When using a CU, you can still do that, or just make sure you press the button at the right time.

Comment

Thanks Bruce that's helpful - It seems a big part of my issue was the double crossings I had before each pit. They were sequenced such that if I pushed the button at the "wrong" time the pace car switching sequence would always leave it in the outside lane and never find either pit. I would push the button for it to stop but it could never get back to the inside lane. I will rethink my lane change placement.

Just to confirm, after the single button push the pace car randomly changes lanes like an autonomous car but after the 2nd button push it changes lanes every time until it finds a pit lane.

Thanks again

Comment

You got it.
                    Last edited by b.yingling; 03-07-2013, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by b.yingling View Post
                      Old or new pit makes no difference to the pace car. It doesn't refuel anyway.
                      Of course yes, but the other cars need to refuel. Can they refuel the same way in old or new pit lane ?

The pace car will enter the first pit lane each time because, as you say, it changes at every LC, after a time on BB, or after you ask it on the CU. So if the first pit lane is the new pit lane, the other car can't enter it anymore if the PC stopped there..
                      That's why I thought it was better to place the new pit lane after the old one. Am I clear or.. Am I wrong ?

Comment

Originally posted by François View Post
                        ...pace car will enter the first pit lane each time because, as you say, it changes at every LC, after a time on BB, or after you ask it on the CU. So if the first pit lane is the new pit lane, the other car can't enter it anymore if the PC stopped there..
                        I don't really undertsand what you mean by the 'first' pit lane?

Old and new really doesn't enter into it. Everything I've said will work equally well if you are using pit lane adapters in both pits (there are reasons to do so), a PLA in your refueling pit but none in your pace car pit, or no pit lane adapters anywhere. It will also work if the two pit bays are in the same straight, or on opposite sides of the track.

On a control unit system, the 'first' pit lane will be the one the pace car first encounters after you press the pace car button.

On a BB system, the BB determines when the pace car will begin seeking the pit. Depending on the day, the speed of the car used, the cleanliness of the track, braids, presence of other cars, etc, how do we know which is going to be 'first'?

That's why, on a BB system, it's best to make prudent decisions re: the placement of lane changers to ensure the pace car won't enter your refueling pit. It doesn't make as much difference on a CU system, since the press of the button can be made at any time.
                        Last edited by b.yingling; 03-07-2013, 01:17 PM.

Comment

By first I mean the first encountered if you have a "traditional" track plan, ie two pit lanes close to each other, in parallel with the start line / BB or CU.

In his original question edmagner said he has a CU, an old pit lane and a new pit lane. So, I guess, no pit lane adapter in the old pit lane.
                          To reply to his question, if he pklaces the new pit lane just before the old one, chances are that his pace car will end in the first encountered PL, ie the one with the "fuel sensor", and the other cars can't use it anymore.

I think we were not talking about the same thing, and we agree on this, and of course I agree that the last LC before the pit lanes should be a 'right'.

Comment

Is it a problem using the new Pitlane without the driver displays?

I don't have a laptop/monitor yet for the track software and wonder how you know when your low on fuel and how much to top off without the displays?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kilo60 View Post
                              ...how you know when your low on fuel and how much to top off without the displays?
                              You don't.

If you have no DDs, and no software hooked to the track, I'd recommend leaving the PLA out of the track. Then the cars will flash their lights when they are low on fuel. Giving you warning before they run out. If a PLA is present in the track, the cars will not flash until they are empty.

Comment

Originally posted by b.yingling View Post
                                If you have no DDs, and no software hooked to the track, I'd recommend leaving the PLA out of the track. Then the cars will flash their lights when they are low on fuel. Giving you warning before they run out. If a PLA is present in the track, the cars will not flash until they are empty.
                                Bruce,

That is very useful information and belongs at the top of this thread. Oh wait, it is there in post #2. Could you possibly edit that post to include these statements. It might seem redundant, but at least to me, the sentences above restate your point in a way that makes it easier to grasp.

Comment

Working...
                                X