X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32lbKING
    replied
    Originally posted by ajgiov;[*
    Is the Carrera Evolution PEUGEOT 908 HDI FAP #27227 an easy flip to digital?[/LIST]
    That car is Digital Ready so you just swap the chip ,and there is a small cap in the chassis where the led on the chip fits.The cap just pops out.Very easy.

A different Randy

Leave a comment:

• ajgiov
    replied
    Originally posted by rtrandy View Post
    ATIS,
    It depends on which ones you have. Digital ready ones are very easy, just unplug analog board
    and plug in the digital chip.
    Older cars require at least a hole for the led and you will have to solder the chip connections.
    Front motored cars are the biggest challenge, as their is little room for the chip.
    Which cars were you thinking of chipping?

Randy
    You seem like a good source of knowledge Randy so let me ask you:
    • Is the Carrera Evolution PEUGEOT 908 HDI FAP #27227 an easy flip to digital?

Leave a comment:

• ATIS
    replied
    Dang, wish they would make them available!

Leave a comment:

• rtrandy
    replied
    Chipping with the New 26744 chip

Another new smaller chip from Carrera #26744. It is smaller than any other chip Carrera makes,
    but it doesn't have any light outputs. The chip as of now isn't available a separate part yet. It is
    only in digital versions of the new Formula E cars.

Size compared to old #26732 chip, chip has LED extended from side.

Here is a Scalextric Charger Daytona that I chipped using the new chip. Fit well into the
    space of the DPR door and no interior mods needed

Leave a comment:

• ATIS
    replied
    I got the black gto with the flames so not sure which frame it is but looking forward to it arriving. Dave, thanks for info and picts. They will help one way or the other.

Bryan

Leave a comment:

• dw5555
    replied
    That car was in my early days, hence no connectors. I remember someone putting it over the front axle but I think he still had to relocate the led. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't be afraid to try relocating the led. If I can solder Carrera's hair thickness chip wires an led would be a piece of cake.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• rtrandy
    replied
    Thanks Dave,
    I knew there were at least a couple of guys that chipped the front motored GTO. I think slotcardaniel did a car
    Like this too. But he put the chip over the guide in front. When I did a GTO for a friend I cheated and bought a
    GTO with the newer chassis and switched the body.
    Randy

Leave a comment:

• OldStrombeckerGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
    Bryan I have the early GTO front motored car with the sliding mag. The issue is the chip is mounted behind the engine so it puts it in the middle of the car rather than the front. I was concerned that the l/c wouldn't operate properly (in time) for the car to pass over but it still works and I haven't had any issues. I also mounted the chip above the driveshaft rather than under it so I put the led way off the chassis bottom. The led's must be very forgiving...

Dave
    Thanks for this info, Dave! I never would have guessed the IR being so far back would have worked. I have 2 Monogram Ferrari Daytonas (front motor) that I assumed I never would be able to chip. Now I'll take the chance.

Leave a comment:

• dw5555
    replied
    Bryan I have the early GTO front motored car with the sliding mag. The issue is the chip is mounted behind the engine so it puts it in the middle of the car rather than the front. I was concerned that the l/c wouldn't operate properly (in time) for the car to pass over but it still works and I haven't had any issues. I also mounted the chip above the driveshaft rather than under it so I put the led way off the chassis bottom. The led's must be very forgiving...

Dave

Leave a comment:

• rtrandy
    replied
    ATIS,
    The Willy's is a digital ready car so that is an easy one. The #26732 digital chip will replace the analog board in there now.
    They made two different GTO chassis the old one is front motored and the newer one is digital
    ready like the Willy's. So if the bottom of the car looks similar to the Willy's, with two magnets
    accessible from the bottom. It will use the same chip and be just as easy. If not it is the older chassis and will be a bit of a challenge.
    The Willy's and a newer chassis GTO on the right of this picture.

Leave a comment:

• ATIS
    replied
    41 wileys and 66 gto...i have a thing for American Hot Rods and Muscle cars...but I was born and raised in Detroit and my grandfather was an executive engineer for GM...so its in my blood. Lol
    Last edited by ATIS; 12-05-2015, 06:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rtrandy
    replied
    ATIS,
    It depends on which ones you have. Digital ready ones are very easy, just unplug analog board
    and plug in the digital chip.
    Older cars require at least a hole for the led and you will have to solder the chip connections.
    Front motored cars are the biggest challenge, as their is little room for the chip.
    Which cars were you thinking of chipping?

Randy
    Last edited by rtrandy; 12-05-2015, 05:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ATIS
    replied
    Are carrera evo cars easy to chip? I have picked up a couple for discontinued ones I want to go digital on.

Leave a comment:

• slotcardan
    replied
    a lot of limitation is caused by the IR led being hard soldered to the PCB.
    you can relocate the IR off the PCB using long wires, then you just need to drill the hole for the IR placement off center for the track IRs, all the other connections can be elongated as well. thus you can hide the PCB anywhere you want in the car since it will not be tied to PCB placement at the bottom of the chassis. as long as the car IR LED lines up with the track LED your golden.

plus you can relocated the IR more forward for a sooner lane change recognition, or later, if you place it far forward on the chassis and have a car in front of you bumper to bumper you could force the front car to lane change before you make it to the flapper. evil for racing
    Last edited by slotcardan; 12-04-2015, 12:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OldStrombeckerGuy
    replied
    COOL! Thanks for sharing rtrandy! I can see this new chip should make a big difference.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X