Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's my latest, the Flyslot is a nice looking car but a terrible runner. The Slot it Merecedes is excellent and the Scaley Charger is a work in progress. From Green to Plum Crazy and changing the interior to black. I'll post more pictures of the Charger when I finish the chrome window trim and rear white stripe. The Charger will have to wait until I return from training in Naples Florida next week. Poor Me
    Al

Last edited by porscheman; 12-03-2011, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• You are a machine......
      Dave

Comment

• The front motor design would seem like the way to go with slot cars, especially if no magnets are used. Is this not the case?

Comment

• I found the front motor car like the MRRC Cobra are a pain to chip because of the drive shaft and usually there is no wieght over the rear tires. The Cobra though very powerful is almost totally uncontrollable due to the wieght distribution. I did a 4WD Focus by Scalextric front motor that is better, because that drivetrain is a belt that run along the drivers side. I've done 4 front motor and I don't run them.
          That's only my opinion.
          Al

Comment

• Originally posted by porscheman View Post
            I found the front motor car like the MRRC Cobra are a pain to chip because of the drive shaft and usually there is no wieght over the rear tires. The Cobra though very powerful is almost totally uncontrollable due to the wieght distribution. I did a 4WD Focus by Scalextric front motor that is better, because that drivetrain is a belt that run along the drivers side. I've done 4 front motor and I don't run them.
            That's only my opinion.
            Al

Al
            I second your opinion

I have done 2 and there will not be a 3rd

Cheers
            Scoot

Comment

• I knew there was a reason I stopped after one. Back to my question. Anyone know of a Mfg with a rear motored Daytona Cobra?
              Dave

Comment

• this is a great thread. I've converted 2 BRM's and a Sideways DP. Here is what I'm currently working on. I saw this thread too late for useful pics but here are the details:
                Tamiya 1/24 Fiat model kit
                Monogram Lola chassis unmodified for wheelbase
                Slot.it 19mm spur gear
                Carrera 132 chip

[email protected]

Comment

• As a "chipping newbie" with a couple extra chips in my hand, is there any limit to how much motor (amps) the Carrera chips (26732) can handle?

I assume most 1/32 long can motors should be OK when you can chip a BRM?

Tore

Comment

• Beater 'Cuda

I bought this Cuda off of E-bay earlier this year and it seemed like a good deal. I was pretty busy, so I put it on the shelf above my bench and didnít really look it over to close. Well a couple of weekends ago I decided it was time to do something with this car. I took it off the base and was looking it over. The roof was pushed in and the louvers on the rear window looked melted . In the interior and in all the cracks and creases of the body was some kind of polishing compound. I can only guess, but I think the person I bought this from was trying to polish out the body and got it too hot and caused the damage to the roof and rear louvers.

After going over all the options of what to do with this car, including throwing it in the trash. I came up with this plan of makeing it into an old beat up muscle car, kind of like Pioneerís Street Racer Chargers. I put rims and tires from a vintage stocker on it. Painted some of the body panels different colors, as if they were parts from other cars or body work was being done and sprayed it with a dull finish.
                    As long as I stole the axles, rims and tires from the vintage stocker chassis, I took the digital chip out of it as well. This worked out pretty good because the LED and switch are on the same side of the chip. I didnít have to cut an opening in front of the magnet like on the other 'Cuda's I have done, when using the standard chip #26732. I also had to remove the capacitor from the bottom of the chip and resolder it to the top.
                    This turned into a fun project
                    Randy

More pics:
                    http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...p?albumid=1678
                    Pics of my other chipped 'Cuda's
                    http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...p?albumid=1610

Comment

• Randy,
                      That's a good idea. Very nicely done.
                      Al

Comment

• Yea, nice job. Haven't gotten brave enough to relocated a led or move the capacitor but have a few cars that need that to fit the chip in and hack it up less. Ever time I try to solder on the chip I seem to screw it up, your example is giving me a little more courage to try again.

Comment

• Hi Guys........I did today this Sidways/Racer as a test of some more I have to chip. I took out the interior and replaced it with a flat, black sheet that is call "Adhesive Foam Sheet" , one side is adhesive so I do not have to glue it. Because I am going to use these cars for race, and not for display, I do not need the nice interiors they have (see picture)

After that I worked on the chip installation. It was straightforward, with plenty of room. Sorry for the little piece of black tape but did a mistake with the heat shrink tubing.

After I finished with the chip, I began working on the lights. I used 3V LEDs . This was my first setup :

But when the car was closed, the guide was touching the LEDs wires, so I have to change the set-up to this:

Here is the finished car:

I would like to thank Chris (Ottawasloter) for all the tips and pictures he sent me showing how he did his sideways. Still I am far away of his quality and what he is doing (front double lights and brake lights). I will add the brake lights as soon as I get the red LEDs.

The car race fast and smooth and all is working as expected.

Cheers
                          Daniel
                          Last edited by slotcardaniel; 12-11-2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Daniel,
                            Your car came out great! I do have a suggestion for you though. I see you put a blank plate in for the interior. Why don't you just paint the inside of the window with a Testors flat black paint pen? The flat black covers better than the gloss black and also will make any window emblems more defined.
                            I use this technique when I'm building a "Slammer", a term used in model contests relating to cars with blacked out windows, no interiors, custom paint jobs and custom wheels, that go together in a couple of days.
                            Just an idea.
                            Al
                            Last edited by porscheman; 12-11-2011, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by porscheman View Post
                              Daniel,
                              I see you put a blank plate in for the interior. Why don't you just paint the inside of the window with a Testors flat black paint pen? The flat black covers better than the gloss black and also will make any window emblems more defined.
                              Just an idea.
                              Al
                              Hi AL......ideas are always welcome

I did it in this way because I am saving the full interior just in case in the future I want the car for display or if I want to sale it.

I am also looking on eBay another tip from Chris, "OVERDRIVE slot car / interior". You can find them using those keywords, I will order some and try them.

Cheers
                              Daniel
                              Last edited by slotcardaniel; 12-11-2011, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 356speedster View Post
                                As a "chipping newbie" with a couple extra chips in my hand, is there any limit to how much motor (amps) the Carrera chips (26732) can handle?

I assume most 1/32 long can motors should be OK when you can chip a BRM?

Tore
                                Tore, I chipped a MRRC Shelby with a 36,000 rpm motor and it didn't harm the chip. The cars motor was to powerful and with no weight in the rear end, make this thing hard to drive. So now it's parked on the side collecting dust for anyone who want to give a try.
                                Al

Comment

Working...
                                X