Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have chipped BRM and NSR and have had no problem with the 1/32 chips so I would assume you will be safe with any long can motor.

Daniel great job I forgot to mention I bend my front led wires down away from the guide,(it doesn't show in the pics) before I solder them. Nice improvise though, that's how I learned as I went along. Rear brake lights are just like the front except theres no guide to get in the way!

I hate chipping front engine cars but I have to tell you the fly vettes and marcos are some of the best handling slots I have so I left them as is and chipped them all. However I wasn't so happy the fly ferrari 250GTO as a front engine slot as it handled no where near as good as the GT cars . So I relocated the motors to the rear as inline they handle much better and it is alot easier to chip, I even have my own tray interiors I made just for the fly 250 so there would be no issues with the interior rubbing on the chip as I hate hacking up interiors it's just too time consuming and too much effort compared to making a styrene tray from scratch. At least for me?

Here's a tip if anyone cares to try remotely mounting the led or "can" resistor. I have ruined a few leds recently trying to unsolder them from the chip because it's really hard to solder with one hand while gently pulling on the led to get it to come out. Also you can't really get both pins heated up properly trying the juggling act, even with the chip clamped in a vice you're still using two hands. So being a cheap SOB and hating to ruin things I bought some of the small vise grips and wrapped the jaws with electrical tape to hold the led, I then suspended the chip with a coat hanger through the screw hole in the chip so gravity was pulling the vise grip down. With two hand I heated up the pins and the resistors and leds have been falling out in one piece unharmed.
    Of course it helps to have a short drop onto a soft surface as well. Just thought I would share as it is working 100% and in 15 gos I have had no difficulty removing led or resistors of any of the chips and all of them work.
    Chris

Comment

• I use a device called a "Solder Sucker", ask at your local Radiio Shack. Heat the wire on the device you wish to remove and squeeze the trigger on the "Sucker" and it will remove all the solder from the mounting hole and the LED or resistor will come right off. This tool useally run about $3 to $12. It works great, I've been using one for years at work.
      AL

Comment

• I know I've out of the loop for a while, but I have been so busy at work that don't have time to do my favorite thing and that's chip a new car. So here's my latest the new Scaley VW Bug. Believe or not, this car halls A*^ and handles pretty good. I just don't know how it will look running against my other cars
        Al

Last edited by porscheman; 12-15-2011, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• I am not going to touch this one "Solder Sucker". It's tooooo easy.
          Thanks for the suggestion Al, I never thought of even checking for such a thing but I am going to get one. LOL I've been dealing with this for years and never thought to look for something but then again whenever I google "sucker" I get these OTHER KINDA sites Know what I mean!!!

Chris

Originally posted by porscheman View Post
          I use a device called a "Solder Sucker", ask at your local Radiio Shack. Heat the wire on the device you wish to remove and squeeze the trigger on the "Sucker" and it will remove all the solder from the mounting hole and the LED or resistor will come right off. This tool useally run about $3 to $12. It works great, I've been using one for years at work.
          AL

Comment

• Nice job Al

I did the Veedub Funcup and it doesn’t handle at all.
            I call it and Autum leaf - falls off!

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by ottawaslotter View Post
              I am not going to touch this one "Solder Sucker". It's tooooo easy.
              Thanks for the suggestion Al, I never thought of even checking for such a thing but I am going to get one. LOL I've been dealing with this for years and never thought to look for something but then again whenever I google "sucker" I get these OTHER KINDA sites Know what I mean!!!

Chris
              Chris
              I know, but I keep googling it anyways. Try Desoldering tool that's the proper name and I just bought a new one from Radio Shack last night and it was $14.95. It will last you for years. I keep bringing the one I have at work home and then I forget it, so I thought maybe it was time to get one for home. You'll love this Sucker
              Al
              Last edited by porscheman; 12-16-2011, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Thanks Al I even get a discount there so I will check it out.
                BTW nice job on the volkswagen, you need another of the same and a couple of
                funky (60's) colours for the pair and then do repaints.
                Chris

Originally posted by porscheman View Post
                Chris
                I know, but I keep googling it anyways. Try Desoldering tool that's the proper name and I just bought a new one from Radio Shack last night and it was $14.95. It will last you for years. I keep bringing the I have at work home and then I forget it, so I thought maybe it was time to get one for home. You'll love this Sucker
                Al

Comment

• Originally posted by ottawaslotter View Post
                  I am not going to touch this one "Solder Sucker". It's tooooo easy.

Chris
                  That is because you are in Canada and people there are very strange
                  After AL suggestion, I went to buy it and this one looks like a tool from another galaxy .....an ALIEN

Daniel

PS: and it was cheaper $11.95
                  Last edited by slotcardaniel; 12-15-2011, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by slotcardaniel View Post
                    That is because you are in Canada and people there are very strange
                    After AL suggestion, I went to buy it and this one looks like a tool from another galaxy .....an ALIEN

Daniel

PS: and it was cheaper $11.95
                    Here's a picture of my Sucker.

Al

Comment

• Al I have one of those so called "solder suckers" and it works good. I used to have one with the squeeze bulb, but I think the other style is a little easier to use. I usually try to get as much solder removed as I can with desoldering braid first. Then use the "solder sucker" to get the rest removed and then the "solder sucker" to clean out the holes in the board. I think I will try Chris's (ottawaslotter) tip also and let mean old Mr gravity do some of the work
                      I also bought this cheap clamping base at a train show to hold the chips while working on them.

Comment

• Hi RTRandy.......you have good eyes ......I have to use this one

Comment

• Hi RTRandy.......you have good eyes ......I have to use this one
                          Well I can see close-up fine, but when I look up and far away everything gets blurry.
                          Randy

Comment

• Originally posted by porscheman View Post

Nice work Al.
                            I may buy a Bug up since I can't get my Ferraris till January.

Comment

• These are Scaleauto bodies mounted on Carrera digital 124 chassis'. They're not quite finished but getting there.

Bruce

Comment

• How bout alittle more info Bruce. Which chassis did you use and what was needed for the mounting?
                                Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X