Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've enjoyed reading this thread...great cars BTW, and have decided to try chipping some cars myself. The digital ready for Carrera are easy but...how do you chip cars like the Scalextric Mustangs or GT40's and others which have front and rear lights? Will the leds work with the new chip or will they have to be changed? Looks like the lights on the Scalextric GT40's are wired into the leads for the motor with some type of resistor between them. Would like to take advantage of the leds...but didn't know if the voltage change would damage them. Any ideas

Comment

Jeffrey,

dw555 (Dave) has a great thread on chipping a Scalextric. Check him out as well as his album that has pics of the conversion.

In short, you would cut the braids and light wires that go directly to the motor and connect them to the chip wires. You would finally connect the power wires from the chip to the motor.

My first chip took many days because I made many mistakes and did not do it efficiently.

My second and third chip took < 30 minutes... and I'm no good at soldering, cutting wires or anything manual.

You'll be find chipping a Scalextric and you'll have fun.

Comment

I have chipped a few diffrent cars, I have a how to in the link below.
        I am about to do the SCX Cuda also, It is cool seeing that going around a Carrera track.

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=39009

Comment

Originally posted by rtrandy View Post
          Sabata nice job!!
          Have you run this car with the Carrera COTs, I wonder how they compare?
          Randy
          Thanks Randy. I picked up a couple white Carrera Nascars to paint for my kids. I haven't timed them, but the Carrera Nascars are definitely faster. One is ridiculously fast! The Carrera Nascars seem to deslot more than my other cars. One went right of the track during a lane change. The SCX Nascar doesn't deslot too much, but will sometimes spin out and get stuck in turns.

Comment

Any BRM cars? What chip should be used?

Comment

Non Carrera Cars I've chipped!

Here are cars I've chipped, none were ready for with Carrera Plugs:

- circa 2006 Carrera Mustang (late 60's yellow) with sliding magnet. I put the chip in sideways, works great!
              - circa 2006 Chevy Camaro (late 60's black) with sliding magnet. First one, trimmed bottom of passenger compartment. works great!
              - Carrera 1/43 Go Nascar, used X-Bow(sp?) chip, fit well, makes a very good ghost car, sticks the track like glue. Occasionally misses lane changes and lap counts, probably should re-postion chip a litte. Motor runs hot, restrict to 8 speed setting.
              - Fly Panoz (front engine). A bit of a challenge, put chip behind moter under neath driveshaft. Trimmed bottom of driver compartment. Runs good, but motor gets hot, use a ghost car quite a bit also.
              - Scalextric Ferrari, older dark blue, forgot model. A bit of a challenge, but not too bad. Trimmed compartment a little. Front light does not work, removed scalextric analog circuit board. Need to replaace fron bulb with LED. Runs pretty good, needs more magnet, but lane changes just fine.. Motor runs hot, restrict to 8 speed setting.
              - Scalextric Lamborghini, older black Diablo. Ditto above comments, needs more magnet! For now, I taped a large model train magnet under car for extra magnet and weight. Runs ok, lane changes good too.
              - Scalextric Nascar, slightly older model. Very east to chip, put chip in sideways. Runs VERY fast, with extra professor motor magnet. Best ghost car I have, plus very fast to drive if I run it. Works very well.
              - TWO AutoArt 1/24 4WD Rally cars, Subaru Impreza and Ford Focus. With some cutting managed to fit chips under drive shafts and below very detailed inteririors. Managed to get all lights wired ok, cars run good but need more magnet to compete with Carrera D124 cars. Added extra professor motor magents, both run ok and lane change well. They run fast, due to 12v motors. I tend to run them on 132 power supply.

I have a newer SCX Nascar on the way, will see how that one goes.... any questions please ask.

Regards, Ted

Comment

My $.02

This is a Fly Corvette.
                My Ol'Lady likes Vettes so I thought I'd give this one a try. The chip fit nicely though I actually drilled the hole for the LED on the wrong side first 'DOH..... It drives kinda like a no mag car but if you really drive it I can keep 9 sec laps going which is in line with the other street cars I have. It has red lenses in the rear so I was able to add rear lights too. I just removed the interior it looked like I was going to have to take most of the bottom away to re-install it so I think I'll leave it out for now.

Last edited by Burtonbr; 05-04-2011, 05:02 PM.

Comment

any one have pics of a slot.it chipped?

Comment

Here are some pics of a racer DP chipped, I know it uses slot-it parts.

Last edited by Quicktap; 05-05-2011, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Do you like how it runs? DId you add any weight? Im thinking of doing one.

Comment

I love it, It is very fast. I did not add any weights to it, I just swapped the rear tires with the extra ones that come with the car for a little better traction. By far the fastest of my cars. But then again it is the only racer/slot-it I have. the rest are Stock D132.

Comment

Anyone Converted any of the 67 Revell nascars? I was thinking I'd like to have a few for racing together but hadn't seen one for real, looks like there should be room for the chip.
                          Last edited by Burtonbr; 05-07-2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

One of the easier chassis to chip it is so flat with lots of room.

Comment

Originally posted by ottawaslotter View Post
                              One of the easier chassis to chip it is so flat with lots of room.
                              Very true, got 3 of these today, only had time to do one. but I really like these, they run well, and are very cool looking. These chips seem to fit better than the 26732. I believe only a small bit cutting on the interior and I can get it back in shouldn't be noticable at all. Can't wait to get 3 or 4 of these running together.

Comment

Nice looking car!

Ever thought about adding lights? I see you have a Red Bull car so maybe lights are not too important but I wondered.

Comment

Working...
                                X