X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• truwebs
    replied
    Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
    Well, you certainly chose a challenging car. Those things are hard to chip even with Scalextric digital chips. You're on the right track. For the magnet, assuming you want to leave it in there, put some electrical tape over it so that if the chip does touch it, there won't be any shorts.
    Agree on the "challenging". I guess I should have researched chipability rather than cool factor.

Live and Learn!

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Well, you certainly chose a challenging car. Those things are hard to chip even with Scalextric digital chips. You're on the right track. For the magnet, assuming you want to leave it in there, put some electrical tape over it so that if the chip does touch it, there won't be any shorts.

Leave a comment:

• truwebs
    replied
    First Time Chipping on Scalextric L88 Corvette

Looking for some advice before hacking at a Scalextric L88 Corvette.

Has anyone chipped one of these successfully?

Note the motor is a font mount with a long motor shaft. I saw one post on a different car where they were able to get the chip to mount over the shaft and still have the LED sensed.

Thinking I might have room to sneak it under the shaft.

What do you think about the magnet so close to the chip? Should I be concerned about the magnet?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

TRU

Leave a comment:

• b.yingling
    replied
    Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
    I've always liked the Matra's. Was that one of the digital ready chassis? It's nice to know not a lot of interior work was needed. So if the smaller chip was used than there would be no chassis trimming required?
    Dave
    Are any of the classics technically Carrera digital ready? There was a hole that seemed to have the correct offset and diameter for the sensor LED, but if you attempted to use it, the chip would overlap the mounting screw hole on the body. This would have been true with a short 26732 as well. May be usable with an oXigen chip?

Even with the short chip, I think you still might have to trim a little bit from the left side, as the capacitor is still pretty much in the same place. Or move the capacitor. Much easier and safer for me to trim a bit of chassis.

I nipped about 3/16" off the side of the tray, and then glued it upright in the body- so you really have to look from above to notice anything amiss.

Leave a comment:

• dw5555
    replied
    I've always liked the Matra's. Was that one of the digital ready chassis? It's nice to know not a lot of interior work was needed. So if the smaller chip was used than there would be no chassis trimming required?
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• b.yingling
    replied
    No pictures- you guys wouldn't think much of my work anyway- but I did finish up that slot.it Matra I mentioned in another thread last week.

By far the easiest slot.it classic I've chipped (I've done at least one of all but the McLaren). I had on hand some of the old style 26732 (the ones with long legs), so that's what I used. I only had to trim a very small bit of the chassis on the left side of the car to make room for the big capacitor. The interior tray is very shallow, and the driver's legs are flat on bottom.

The front lights also had black plastic buckets in place that were a perfect fit for 3mm LEDs. Shining through the existing plastic bulbs (they line up with the low beam) dims the headlights a bit, but they still provide enough light and look very good without much bleed through.

This car is also very easy to drive fast. My favorite classic is still the 312PB, but this one is almost as easy to drive as the Chaparral.

My experience: the Chaparral and Matra are both easy to drive, while the Ford GT is the fastest (though a little twitchy). The 312PB is just a hair behind my Fords in speed but also just a hair behind the Chaparral and Matra in ease- so it' a blast to drive. I have two Alfas chipped, and both of them are a difficult drive. Not sure if it's my lack of chipping and tuning skills, or just the car.
    Last edited by b.yingling; 03-23-2018, 06:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Daviddan
    replied
    I posted a thread about conversion, but love how this car came out. Will consider other Pioneer options.

Leave a comment:

• OldStrombeckerGuy
    replied
    Very cool Dave! Wish I would have kept my cars from the 60's. Ahhh...I can smell that tire goop now!

Leave a comment:

• dw5555
    replied
    Something Different

I've got about a dozen cars 1/24 cars from the mid 60's that my dad and I raced back then. They have been sitting neglected so I decided to start stretching their legs. Of course they don't handle but that was to be expected especially on 50 yr old silicones. The new 1/32 chip fits perfect between the rails. The front part of the chip rests on the plastic wheel bushings and the rear can rests on a nut so hot glue worked perfect. No metal to metal. The chip should handle the Cox motor, not sure the of specs. Everything woks as it should.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• carlosinseattle
    replied
    Originally posted by Racer944 View Post
    Thanks Guys! I have the early series of cars (2 of them) so the 26733 is the correct one for them. I can see how fitting the 26732 chip should not be that difficult though. I will likely pick up those ones on EBAY (thanks OldStrombeckerGuy!) but I may also try to fit a 26732 just for the fun of it to learn if its possible.

Will report back...

Thanks;
    Eric
    Hope you were able to make it fit. If not I still have some spare 26733 chips laying around if you want/need one.

Leave a comment:

• Ex Inferis
    replied
    Originally posted by rtrandy View Post
    Ex Inferis,
    Nice job on the Ford Falcon Mad Max Interceptor looks like it will be a fun car.
    Thanks for posting the pictures ad video.

Randy
    Thank you! putting the chip was easy. It was complicated to improve the car to run as Carrera. but I did not like the Scalextric. Very fragile and the guide is very bad. They look like toys. A pity the Carrera not have many models

Leave a comment:

• Racer944
    replied
    Thanks Guys! I have the early series of cars (2 of them) so the 26733 is the correct one for them. I can see how fitting the 26732 chip should not be that difficult though. I will likely pick up those ones on EBAY (thanks OldStrombeckerGuy!) but I may also try to fit a 26732 just for the fun of it to learn if its possible.

Will report back...

Thanks;
    Eric

Leave a comment:

• OldStrombeckerGuy
    replied
    Hey Eric,
    I do not have experience with these two cars, but as Randy stated it does look like the 26732 should fit (hole cutting required). Check out this thread by slotcardaniel.

There are currently 2 of the 26733 chips listed on the auction site. PM'd you the link.

Leave a comment:

• rtrandy
    replied
    Ex Inferis,
    Nice job on the Ford Falcon Mad Max Interceptor looks like it will be a fun car.
    Thanks for posting the pictures ad video.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• rtrandy
    replied
    Eric, it looks like these cars were made to use the old chip (26733) or the new chip (26732) depending on when they were made.

So you may have the earlier one that is set up for the 26733.

There sure looks like there is room for the 26732 in there, but you will have to drill holes in the chassis for the switch and LED. They would end up being more forward toward the guide.
    I will check I may have one or two of the 26733 chips somewhere, these were the retro fit chip to convert from Pro-X to D132.

Randy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X