Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool I'm gonna have to have one of those Veyron's..

Comment

• Revell '67 plymouth stock car

I chipped this car a while ago, but didn't share the project because I wasn't happy with the way the car turned out. It didn't run very good, handled poorly and was very loud. First I tried to make it run better. There was so much slop in rear axle bearings that the gears would sometimes not be meshed together. So I cut a piece of plastic tubing in half and glued it in the chassis pushing the axle toward motor to take out the slop. This did work and now the car ran without the gear slipping and it was a little less noisy. Then I trued up the tires, you can't take to much off the rears because the gear is already close to hitting the track. The car ran a little better with these changes, but still had a big problem. The crown is so close to the track than when the car slides out in a turn the gear will hit the rails of the track usually cause it to come out of the slot.
      I gave up on making the chassis work and fitted a Carrera chassis to the body. Now it runs way more predictable and runs well with my other vintage stockers.
      I will start with pics of the chipping of the car as I bought it and than pics with the Carrera chassis.
      Randy

This pic shows the tubing added to push crown gear into pinion gear.

Gear and magnet did hit the rails sometimes

These pics are of the car with Carrera vintage stocker chassis fitted to it. I made a simple adapter plate for the back of the body for mounting. The front was a little harder to get the right height and to redo the body mounting holes in chassis. It looks a little cobbled but works, I will being doing the next one a little differently. The interior also had to be cut more for clearance.

The car in top of pic has the Revell chassis, bottom car Carrera chassis

Comment

• Cool Job on the body mounts, looks good. I hate those old Carrera chassis' almost as much as I hate the monogram stock ones, I have several of them. The Galaxies and Fairlanes are all very loud and it soulds like your grinding the track when the gear rides along the rail. The one Andretti car, I believe, the magnet pocket actually drags the track I haven't adjusted the rear axle for it yet. They are alot of fun to run though if you can stand the noise

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrandy View Post
          I chipped this car a while ago, but didn't share the project because I wasn't happy with the way the car turned out. It didn't run very good, handled poorly and was very loud. First I tried to make it run better. There was so much slop in rear axle bearings that the gears would sometimes not be meshed together. So I cut a piece of plastic tubing in half and glued it in the chassis pushing the axle toward motor to take out the slop. This did work and now the car ran without the gear slipping and it was a little less noisy. Then I trued up the tires, you can't take to much off the rears because the gear is already close to hitting the track. The car ran a little better with these changes, but still had a big problem. The crown is so close to the track than when the car slides out in a turn the gear will hit the rails of the track usually cause it to come out of the slot.
          I gave up on making the chassis work and fitted a Carrera chassis to the body. Now it runs way more predictable and runs well with my other vintage stockers.
          I will start with pics of the chipping of the car as I bought it and than pics with the Carrera chassis.
          Randy

Gear and magnet did hit the rails sometimes

The car in top of pic has the Revell chassis, bottom car Carrera chassis
          Hey Randy,
          I noticed the carrera wheels and tires seem to be a lot larger diameter than the Revell wheels and tires. Would it be possible to swap the Carrera wheels and tires,or the complete axle sets onto the revell chassis and if so do you think that would solve the gear rubbing problem?

Randy

Talking to myself again
          Oh well,as long I don't answer myself I' m still ok...uh oh

Comment

• Randy,
            Nice job! I always liked that body style. I chipped the Revell Fairlane; ran 4 laps dechipped it and put the chip in another car. I'm not a Revell Slot Car fan. They're to noisy and too hard to control for me
            Al

Comment

• I hate those old Carrera chassis' almost as much as I hate the monogram stock ones, I have several of them.
              Burtonbr,
              The chassis I used for this one is the old analog chassis, they run way better than the digital swing magnet chassis. The chassis that is in the newest stockers is very close to this design, but all magnets are inside the chassis.
              Even if I would have used the old digital chassis the car would run better than it was. I could not get any consist laps no matter how I drove it. One of the guys that was over racing this past weekend drove it and now wants it get one of the Fords to do this to.

Randy,
              I did think of trying to swap the wheels to the Carrera ones, but in the past when I tired, I broke the rims.
              They have knurled shafts and don't come off the best, but changing to higher wheels would help.
              By changing to a Carrera chassis it now runs with all my other cars like this, so that was a plus.
              Randy

Comment

• I'm not a Revell Slot Car fan. They're to noisy and too hard to control for me
                Al,
                When I finished this car and put it on the track I could not believe how bad it was
                I thought for sure I screwed something up, that the car ran so bad. Then after reality set in I was
                not a "Revell Slot Car fan" either. I am sure it was not made to run on Carrera track and is probably fine on other brands or wood though.
                And it did sound like scrap metal in a blender when it ran .
                Randy

Comment

Burtonbr,
                  The chassis I used for this one is the old analog chassis, they run way better than the digital swing magnet chassis. The chassis that is in the newest stockers is very close to this design, but all magnets are inside the chassis.
                  Even if I would have used the old digital chassis the car would run better than it was. I could not get any consist laps no matter how I drove it. One of the guys that was over racing this past weekend drove it and now wants it get one of the Fords to do this to.

Randy,
                  I did think of trying to swap the wheels to the Carrera ones, but in the past when I tired, I broke the rims.
                  They have knurled shafts and don't come off the best, but changing to higher wheels would help.
                  By changing to a Carrera chassis it now runs with all my other cars like this, so that was a plus.
                  Randy
                  Randy & Randy,
                  I found an easy way to remove Carrera wheels. Use a pair of hobby side cutters and place the cutter between the chassis and the flat side towards the wheel. Gentlly pry the wheel off the chassis, you won't be able to get all the way off, but enough to pull it the rest of the way off. I do this all the time and have never broke a wheel. Just remember flat side towards the wheel.
                  Al

Comment

• yea, at first, those were my first Revell/Mono cars and it kinda had me thinking they were not for me though I love the old bodies, but then I got a few of the old Vettes from Monogram and I really like the way they run. Last week I got this Monogram and It is the smoothest car I think I own and handles great on my little track.

I hope to chip it in the next week.
                    Now after thinking about it I think it is more the Sidewinder types that I like least because even the Scaley sidwinders are loud but they do handle better without getting the bodies lower and really tuning like you have to the Ford nascar Revell cars.

Comment

• The revell vintage stockers need a bit of work and a taller set of rear tires, Paul gage actually makes a version and they are great. The gears have to be run with some toothpaste to take out all the chatter and they do quiet down, bushings need glueing and the tires have to be trued but they will run quite well when setup properly. Shims between the wheels and bushing will take out any side to side slop as well. They are like the fly of vintage nascar, look pretty but need a bit of work but they will run well once setup.

Comment

• yea, at first, those were my first Revell/Mono cars and it kinda had me thinking they were not for me though I love the old bodies, but then I got a few of the old Vettes from Monogram and I really like the way they run. Last week I got this Monogram and It is the smoothest car I think I own and handles great on my little track.
                        Burtonbr,
                        My buddy has the the Monogram Vette and he loves it, he bought another one for me to chip for him. I also picked up the Cobra coupe. These cars do run much better than the GTX did.
                        The Vette he has ran so nice, that is why I went ahead and bought the GTX, thinking it wouldn't run to bad.
                        I have never seen that Jag before that looks pretty nice!
                        Randy

Comment

I chipped this car a while ago, but didn't share the project because I wasn't happy with the way the car turned out. ...........

Hi Randy

That was a great work you did.

The chipping looks great and the car modifications to. I have to tell you that I have learned a lot. When I was with 1/24 brass chassis, I was doing a lot of assembling and modifications. Now that I have moved to all these 1/32 cars with these plastic chassis, there is a world of new tricks and tips I need to learn.

Keep posting your chipping works, never be again unhappy of what you have done.

Each one of us do the best that we can . By exposing your job, you (we) expose it to others to hear their comments. Those comments can point us a better way of doing what we did. Or could be that the reader learn something new from what we have done.

Keep it moving

Daniel

PS: Sorry, but all what I have said do not fit on AL's personality , so just ignore the guy
                          Last edited by slotcardaniel; 02-14-2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• I have to agree with Daniel, with the exception of the PS part. I started chipping cars in July of 11 and now I've done more than 50 cars and this thread has helped me improve my skills.
                            Thank you everybody.
                            Al
                            Last edited by porscheman; 02-14-2012, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Your welcome

Comment

• The revell vintage stockers need a bit of work and a taller set of rear tires, Paul gage actually makes a version and they are great. The gears have to be run with some toothpaste to take out all the chatter and they do quiet down, bushings need glueing and the tires have to be trued but they will run quite well when setup properly. Shims between the wheels and bushing will take out any side to side slop as well. They are like the fly of vintage nascar, look pretty but need a bit of work but they will run well once setup.
                                Chris,
                                I may just try to get the chassis to work better, I didn't make any changes to the body so I can swap back and forth easily.
                                Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X