Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody sell modded cars or willing to do it for $?

Comment

Originally posted by 02m3smg View Post
      If I can do it, you can do it.

Check out my history:

In my first apartment (many moons ago but still relevant), I noticed the octopus plug connectors were not straight. So I tried to fix it. Went into the kitchen and got a butter knife. Did not know to turn the electricity off. After seeing a blue light and burning my finger, I learned my lesson.

I chipped my first slot car and it took days and two chips to complete. I did not follow the directions and I stripped wires and I glued where I should have soldered.... blahblahblah.

My next chip took 30 minutes and that included testing. My latest chip took around the same time.

I am messy, not hand coordinated and generally impatient with details like electricity.

You can do it. I may have some pics I can PM also from Dave (dw555) -- he was a great help.

Chipping newer Scalextrics and Carrera Evolution cars is easy.

Comment

there is somebody on e-bay selling all brands of cars with carrera chips but the price is crazy, as others have said it isn't that hard after you do a couple and work out the kinks. All you really need is an original digital car to use as reference.

Comment

Chipping a Porsche 935/78 using chip 26732.

Here are some not so brilliant step-by-step pics of the process. The D132 chip was an easy fit into this chassis by removing the front magnet, trimming the magnet assembly holder and the support posts for the stock chip. I failed to get a before and after of this but if you have this car I think you can see what I did. If not, let me know and I'll be happy to post another pic or two. The direction switch fit perfectly in the hole, and mounting the D132 chip was simple using an old plastic axle bushing for a spacer (couldn't find a stubby screw), and a simple hole in the chassis for the IR sensor.

The stock 'guts':

All stock wiring removed. (leave wires attached to LED boards)

Wire the LEDs to the D132 chip if you want lights. I don't think it matters, but I used the plug on the board that is on the very front corner, passenger side (green/yellow wired plug). Remove this plug and solder the LED head lightss to this area. Remove the driver side rear most plug (orange/white wired plug) and solder tail lights to this area. Test wiring before going any further if you want lights. No sense in moving on until you get the lights working.

Completed wiring of guide and motor wires to D132 chip.

Underside of chassis showing IR sensor and direction switch.

Comment

I always thought that the LED on the chip had to be up closer to the guide pin? Does the sensor still work and switch consistently when it is that far back on the car? This is in reference to some of the other cars posted above, not the porsche. it looks pretty close to stock carrara location. the monogram nascar looks a bit further back though.
            Last edited by redsn8k; 05-12-2011, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Like everyone is saying, it's not that hard, a little imagination helps. The chips are pretty tough and at least my first one took alot of abuse from me, shorting it out once, braking the wire from the board and soldering them on poorly I thought it died 2 differnt times but it's still running. I like doing them and seeing other brands running on my track.

Bibbster, Nice job. thanks for the photos it helps to see other models for me.

Comment

Originally posted by redsn8k View Post
                I always thought that the LED on the chip had to be up closer to the guide pin? Does the sensor still work and switch consistently when it is that far back on the car?
                It can be pretty far back from the guide I looked at my F1 cars and saw how far back they are. The monogram '67 fairlane LED is pretty far back but works the changers perfectly at full speed. The LED sensors are probably 3-4.5" back from the flippers. biggest problem I've had with other cars is the guide isn't large enough or the front of the car isnt heavy enough to close the flipper, the FLY corvettes are that way, but the Monogram's work perfectly

Comment

Thanks...That is awesome...

Comment

I probably should have added that your thinking right though, the LED could be too far back and the guide flag get past the flipper before it was fully open on a fast straight. I like the fact that the LED doesn't have to pe perfect to trip the LC I did a littl measuring on the cars I've done but if you get the chip centered it seems the LED will align with the sensor close enough to work well.

Comment

I think Hot Slots (an SCI advertiser) now offers a chipping service for around $10 plus parts. Haven't asked them about it, but saw it on their website.

Comment

Burtonbr, thanks for the compliment and you're welcome. The Porsche was my first one and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's even simpler if you are running cars without lights as shown in this picture that was shared with me by fellow member hickser when I asked about it.

Comment

It is possible to have the LED too far back. I have one car that will occasionaly hit the flipper on one lane changer on my track. This particular LC is at the start of a very slightly downhill straight, so the cars are marginally faster than at most of the other LCs on my track.

The car is an original D132 Mustang with a replacement HRSII chassis. I melted the guide area of the original chassis after repairing/soldering the wires umpteen times.

I don't run it much, so I've never bothered to move the chip forward.

Comment

Burtonbr
                            Nice job on the Vintage Ford Nascar.

I have used the 26733 chip on a Pioneer Charger and it does put the LED farther back then most cars. It works fine with no Lane changing problems.
                            Randy

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...p?albumid=1013

Comment

Thanks, Rtrandy really nice job on the Charger, great pics thanks for posting them, I've been wanting to see a Pioneer, might have to have one of them next......

Comment

Thanks, Rtrandy really nice job on the Charger, great pics thanks for posting them, I've been wanting to see a Pioneer, might have to have one of them next......
                                Burtonbr,
                                Pioneer makes some great looking and running cars, I will definitely be getting more of them. I posted pictures of this Charger in a thread that DrumPhil started about Pioneer cars. If you haven't read thru it yet check it out. I think there are few pics of a chipped Pioneer Mustang in there too.
                                Randy
                                http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...984#post455984

Comment

Working...
                                X