• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Originally posted by Nomad2Race View Post
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxk...ew?usp=sharing

A heat sink on the chip might also help, so I am looking over my scrap electronics box for heat sinks that could be adapted.
    Such a catastrophic blowout would not be a heat issue. That was straight up high load and the mosfet burst into flames because of it. Definitely get a D124 chip, or 3rd party chip designed for higher loads (don't know what that might be, just saying). If that only happened to one car, and you have others of the same kind that have been running well, then it could also have been a defective chip.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Originally posted by carlosinseattle View Post
    Hey Greg, I just saw this post. Do I have to rimend you that in your presence I blew 4 scalextric chips because I didn't have the ferrite man installed? You were there for at least 4 chips blowing; at my house, yours, and I think Dave's house. I had the capacitor installed but no ferrite beads.
    Apparently so, because I don't remember that. Without being able to go back in time to see each incident, or examine the car in question, I will still have a hard time believing that chips "blew" (e.g. they would no longer work in any car, or exhibited clear signs of damage) ONLY from the lack of a ferrite bead. I posit that it's more likely that there was some other issue at work, which was inadvertently resolved by installation of the bead, especially since blowing a chip is usually caused by shorts or overloading, and installing a ferrite bead would have required the cap to be removed and re-soldered. Was this the bead on the motor, or the guide? If on the motor, it's VERY common for a bead-less capacitor to short on the motor itself. That would have blown the chip quite quickly. Heck, I've seen bad jobs from China doing the same thing even WITH the full ferrite man.

Leave a comment:

• carlosinseattle
    replied
    Originally posted by Nomad2Race View Post
    The conversion was fantastic. Was... It was blast for several 10 lap tests, but went up in flames in a 20 lap run. I knew this was likely, as these motors draw more amps than 1/32 cars.

I used a 26740 F1 decoder chip as they were are and hand and are my usual choice for converting cars without lights. I presume the Carrera 1/24 decoders have higher capacity as the Carrera 1/24 cars draw much more amperage than the 1/32. I think I will try a 20762 decoder. They appear much more robust. Has anyone tried this? Is there a better choice?

Is there an aftermarket decoder with a higher capacity chip? Carlson?

A heat sink on the chip might also help, so I am looking over my scrap electronics box for heat sinks that could be adapted.

I assume the limit on this conversion would be the number of cars that can be run on the 8A control box. We can run 6 Carrera cars with the TMS motor conversion, so I hoping to run 6 BRM or Scaleauto with their stock motors...
    You will definitely be fine if you use the D124 chips 20762 and 20763. And for some reason the f1 chips have been most prone to overheating. I've always thought that was because of limited airflow through the tight bodies. Maybe there is something different about the chips from other D132 chips.

Leave a comment:

• carlosinseattle
    replied
    Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
    Chips never "fried" from the lack of a ferrite man. The noise generated by the motor, and sometimes from the rails (braids shorting when crossing lane changers, mostly) would confuse the chip, causing it to lose it's ID, and on older chips, go off at full speed because it thought it was on an analog track... but not FRY it.

Just wanted to clear that up. If anyone can show me a thread that indicates that a lack of a ferrite man is the cause of a chip's complete and catastrophic failure (e.g. "fried"), I would like very much to see it.

I'm glad that it's not such a need for Carrera/Carson chips. Carrera is well known for their robust engineering.
    Hey Greg, I just saw this post. Do I have to remind you that in your presence I blew 4 scalextric chips because I didn't have the ferrite man installed? You were there for at least 4 chips blowing; at my house, yours, and I think Dave's house. I had the capacitor installed but no ferrite beads.
    Last edited by carlosinseattle; 07-05-2017, 08:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Nomad2Race
    replied
    BRM 1/24 Conversion

ScaleAuto and BRM 1/24 cars on no magnets and foam tires have long been a favorite on our analog Carrera tracks. We would love them on our digital track, with Professor Motor power and slot it controllers.

I moved the LED close the to guide, so these drifty cars do not miss switch sensors and to preserve the lovely full depth interiors.

The conversion was fantastic. Was... It was blast for several 10 lap tests, but went up in flames in a 20 lap run. I knew this was likely, as these motors draw more amps than 1/32 cars.

I used a 26740 F1 decoder chip as they were are and hand and are my usual choice for converting cars without lights. I presume the Carrera 1/24 decoders have higher capacity as the Carrera 1/24 cars draw much more amperage than the 1/32. I think I will try a 20762 decoder. They appear much more robust. Has anyone tried this? Is there a better choice?

Is there an aftermarket decoder with a higher capacity chip? Carlson?

I assume the limit on this conversion would be the number of cars that can be run on the 8A control box. We can run 6 Carrera cars with the TMS motor conversion, so I hoping to run 6 BRM or Scaleauto with their stock motors...
    Last edited by Nomad2Race; 07-05-2017, 04:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Just wanted to mention that the little ferrite bead and capacitor arrangement was crucial to the survival of the Scalextric digital chip. A chip would fry pretty quickly without the "ferrite man" arrangement that includes both the ferrite bead and the capacitor. I have no idea how the Carson DPR chip will work without the "Ferrite Man" arrangement. Just thought I'd warn you. You can search the Scaley digital section on this form and on the SF forum for more info.
    Chips never "fried" from the lack of a ferrite man. The noise generated by the motor, and sometimes from the rails (braids shorting when crossing lane changers, mostly) would confuse the chip, causing it to lose it's ID, and on older chips, go off at full speed because it thought it was on an analog track... but not FRY it.

Just wanted to clear that up. If anyone can show me a thread that indicates that a lack of a ferrite man is the cause of a chip's complete and catastrophic failure (e.g. "fried"), I would like very much to see it.

I'm glad that it's not such a need for Carrera/Carson chips. Carrera is well known for their robust engineering.

Leave a comment:

• Drewbert34
    replied
    Great job Ed. That car looks awesome and you did a fantastic job of getting things to fit and line up properly.

Just wanted to mention that the little ferrite bead and capacitor arrangement was crucial to the survival of the Scalextric digital chip. A chip would fry pretty quickly without the "ferrite man" arrangement that includes both the ferrite bead and the capacitor. I have no idea how the Carson DPR chip will work without the "Ferrite Man" arrangement. Just thought I'd warn you. You can search the Scaley digital section on this form and on the SF forum for more info.

And I could be totally wrong and the Carson DPR chip doesn't need it, just wanted to warn just in case.
    I sent ferrite man packing on all 4 of my Carson chipped Scaley's. Lots of laps and thus far, no one misses him

Leave a comment:

• rtrandy
    replied
    Nice job Ed!
    Thanks for posting this.
    I think this is an interesting car, but as you have said what to race with it?
    I am still thinking about picking one up to try it out though. I do like the new chassis layout that Scaley is changing over too. It is way easier to get the cars apart to work on and also easier to covert over to D132 even using Carrera chips.
    I converted the new Scaley Javelin it's a nice car also, but it does run different than the other Trans Am cars I have.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• carlosinseattle
    replied
    Great job Ed. That car looks awesome and you did a fantastic job of getting things to fit and line up properly.

And I could be totally wrong and the Carson DPR chip doesn't need it, just wanted to warn just in case.
    Last edited by carlosinseattle; 03-24-2017, 07:39 PM. Reason: Added line

Leave a comment:

• edmagner
    replied
    Scaley Ganassi Target Ford Daytona Prototype - DPR Ready

Scaley Ganassi Target Ford Daytona Prototype - DPR

Here's the latest of my Scaley Carson DPR conversions. This was the most difficult one so far because the of how Scaley did the lights. There are 4 individual LED's on the corners with a separate 2 wire lead to each, routed either into the DPR plug for the fronts or directly to the motor on the rear. There are 4 individual wires running under the axle in the back with minimal retention to keep them from rubbing on the axle. I built 2 pigtails to bring them up to the Carson chip. In the rear, I ended up clipping the capacitor off the motor and cleaning up the motor wiring when I separated the light wires. I also spent some time with the hot glue gun to secure the rear light wires around the axle. It looks pretty clean, but was quite a bit of work

It's a nice car and runs well, unfortunately not a lot of comparable cars to run it against..

Leave a comment:

• dw5555
    replied
    Those are actually very cool. A while ago I hinted around using those and the regular Vdubs just as a fun series but it didn't go over too well. I guess I'm not a hardcore racer when speed isn't everything.
    Nice ride.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• edmagner
    replied
    Latest Scaley with Plug n Play Carson chip

Scaley VW Van with Carson DPR Carrera chip

this one took a little longer - spent 15 min wiring up the light connectors

not the fastest or best handling thing in the fleet but still a sweet ride

Leave a comment:

• Quicktap
    replied
    Thank you Dave! I will try and look to find some replacement guides. for the SCX car.

Leave a comment:

• dw5555
    replied
    Yes the guide is the problem. The lane changers are a mechanical reset by the guide. Carrera uses a deep guide so you can either replace the guides you have with deeper guides, Various mfg make them, or you can just build up your current guides by adding styrene to the bottom. People have done this in the past and have reported no issues.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Quicktap
    replied
    Quick question, I just converted two cars to digital 1/32. SCX #29 Harvick and a Scalectric #48 Jimmie Johnson. Both run great and lane changes work and everything. I have noticed the the SCX car sometimes will switch lanes but not reset the changer back, is this due to the small guide this car has and if so is there a solution to this? Once in a while the Scalexctic car will have this happen but nowhere near as often.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X