X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 32lbKING View Post
    Hey guys,I have a question...

Daniel,I notice you use hot glue on the digital chips.I seen a thread a couple days ago with a picture of a carrera light board that had hot glue over the wire connections to the board.I thought it looked like a good idea because of the miniscule gauge of wire that carrera uses on the digital chips.Those connections are so flimsy and weak.Does anyone see a problem or possible drawback with hot gluing over the connections to strengthen them BEFORE they break?
    Or maybe use a dab of silicone caulk?

Thanks,

Randy
    Randy,
    I use Liquid Tape. It's sold in the electrical section of Home Depot for around 7 bucks. Chris sold me on this stuff. It comes in a many different colors. It's basically liquid electrical tape in a jar with a brush. I use smaller hobby brushes and you can use nail polish remover to clean the brush. It takes about 5 minutes to setup. BTW you can get one heck of a buzz from the fumes but that's the best part.
    Hope this helps.
    Al

Comment

• Randy if your comfortable soldering I redo all the connections every time to solve that issue but if it's working OK and they appear to be OK just use Al's secret weapon liquid plastic!!!!
      Beware though the stuff is addictive so maybe buy it in a 6,12 or 24 pack. Al gets it by the skid apparently???
      Chris

Originally posted by 32lbKING View Post

Daniel,I notice you use hot glue on the digital chips.I seen a thread a couple days ago with a picture of a carrera light board that had hot glue over the wire connections to the board.I thought it looked like a good idea because of the miniscule gauge of wire that carrera uses on the digital chips.Those connections are so flimsy and weak.Does anyone see a problem or possible drawback with hot gluing over the connections to strengthen them BEFORE they break?

Thanks,

Randy
      Last edited by ottawaslotter; 05-27-2012, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Al you snuck in there while I was re-editing my post, I should of known you'd pipe in with the secret weapon for chipping!! LOL. The stuff is becoming harder and harder to find in Canada. I have to order it through Home Hardware now as none of the big chains carry it here anymore? Might have to get Al to start supplying me with the stuff!!

Comment

Thanks,

Randy
          AL, liquid tape is not as rigid as adding a drop of hot glue.

Randy, I have done that a couple of time when I was not certain of the strength of the soldered wires. they fix it in place. I also added a drop when I was not sure if that connection can be touching another car part (motor case) as an electric isolator.

Bottom line, you can re-solder all the connections as suggested by Chris or use a drop of hot glue. Also you can use liquid tape as suggested by AL, but it is more flexible.

Daniel

PS: the hot glue I am using to keep the chips on place is Woodland Scenic Low Temp Foam Glue , that is sold for landscaping. It keeps very well the chip in place and is very easy to take the chip out if you need to modify its position. I have been using it for almost a year now and never had a problem.
          Last edited by slotcardaniel; 05-27-2012, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by slotcardaniel View Post
            AL, liquid tape is not as rigid as adding a drop of hot glue.

Randy, I have done that a couple of time when I was not certain of the strength of the soldered wires. they fix it in place. I also added a drop when I was not sure if that connection can be touching another car part (motor case) as an electric isolator.

Bottom line, you can resolder all as suggested by Crish of use the hot glue drop. Also you can use liquid tape as suggested by AL, but it is flexible.

Daniel
            I actually use a medium thick instant glue and an accelerator sold at most hobby shops. I don't useally recommend this to people who never work with these 2 products together. The accelerator sets the instant glue up in a split second and the chemical reaction is extreme heat for that split second. It doesn't damage any electronics and work very well. All my chipped cars are
            done this way. You just need a drop of each. The nice thing about using this process is, you position everything and put a drop of glue and the accelerator comes in a little pump action spray bottle, one drop and your done. One bottle of accelerator will last you for years.

Be very careful and wear gloves. The gloves will keep you from gluing yourself to the track I know, I had to change a section of track.
            Al
            Last edited by porscheman; 05-27-2012, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks,

Randy
              I have been using hot glue on the motor connections and all of the board connections with stock Carrera connectors. I have not had a problem since, it holds the wires in place and if there is a hard hit everything stays in place so the wires don't have a chance to move around....

Comment

• Ask and you shall recieve...answers

Thanks to everyone for all for the replys
                Looks like there are a few options.

Randy

Comment

• Converting to Carrera Digital the CARRERA MASERATI -Clubedition- # 25448

Hi Guys

Chip used 26732. The car count laps and change lanes without any problem.

I have to remove the polarity switch that comes with the car. I also removed the switch that comes with the chip and soldered the conections in a way that the chip is always digital. I have posted this in previous postings of this thread.

The chassis has only one magnet in the middle. I glued another one to the chassis in between the rear wheel and the car is a blast to drive. Now is like glue to the track, but as I always say, you still have to drive it in the curves because the car is VERY FAST !!!

Daniel

Comment

• Nice job again Daniel.
                    Al

Comment

• Very nice Daniel

Comment

• NSR Play Station Audi

I've been waiting for this one for awhile. It features a new motor and the interior floor boards are cut open for easy chipping.
                        Al

Notice the interior floor.

Comment

• Are you getting like Daniel and afraid to light a NSR for fear of devalueing its collector value?
                          LOL. Nice job Al but lets see you light that puppy up, those black cars are sooo hard to see without them!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ottawaslotter View Post
                            Are you getting like Daniel and afraid to light a NSR for fear of devalueing its collector value?
                            LOL. Nice job Al but lets see you light that puppy up, those black cars are sooo hard to see without them!!
                            Chris,
                            I'm not like Daniel, I just don't have any LED's. A PayPal Snafu.
                            Al

Comment

• What happened, maybe Daniel can send you some since he's not lighting any of his cars????
                              If all else fails I'll mail you some!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ottawaslotter View Post
                                What happened, maybe Daniel can send you some since he's not lighting any of his cars????
                                If all else fails I'll mail you some!!

HEY !!!!!!! What is going on here ?

I only have 100 3mm and 100 1mm white LEDs and 200 1mm and 100 3mm red LEDs, plus a 1000 resistors. ............it isn't enough for all the cars I have to chip.

All that is around $50 shipped from China or less but if AL continues buying NSR's......

AL, NICE JOB, that is a very pretty car, but I doubt you will be able to win at home

Daniel

PS: I will order a bunch of LEDs from China shipped to your house and you pay the beer at home. Send me your address in a PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X