Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The older carerra design leaves much to be desired. The magnet shaved about 1 second off the total lap time putting it between 8.2 and 8.5 seconds a lap. My custom made Mach 1 is a touch faster. But modern Carreras are 6.5 to 7 on my track.

The magnet didnt make much of a difference because its a very narrow feild once the rear breaks loose then you are in control.

Working on the Audi now taking a break

Comment

• Audi A4 Oliver mayer 1998 20471 converted to digital.

Basically same as the Porsche, except this is the long wheelbase Porsche is the middle wheel base.
      Changed front light to led.
      Added 10mmx30mmx 1mmlead weight to front end.
      Added spacer under guide flag to lower it works with the lane changers better.
      Machined out chassis to fit board.
      Narrowed electronics board slightly.
      Led and switch cutouts under chassis.

Long wheelbase handles much better its only about 5mm difference but its night and day

Comment

• Dan, if you get some liquid tape and just paint the rear of your LED's you can eliminate all the light bleed thru under the car.
        Dave

Comment

• Yup, I just threw them back together as carrera made them.

Comment

• Great job. I have a few old carrera cars chipped and they all stink as far as handling. If I add mags to them , whats the best way to attach and what mags do I get?

Thanks Randy

Comment

• Originally posted by rjhoffh View Post
              Great job. I have a few old carrera cars chipped and they all stink as far as handling. If I add mags to them , whats the best way to attach and what mags do I get?

Thanks Randy
              Randy,
              I just use crazy glue and the placement below work best. I would start over the rear axle first and you need more, you place them anywhere. The magnets can be removed by prying with a small screwdriver.
              Al

Comment

• Are they offset to help with drifting? Where do you get your mags? I was looking on auction site and found rare earth mags 3/4 X 1/16.

Thanks Randy

Comment

• No, I got crazy glue on my finger and they got there trying to get them off.
                  I'll send a PM for the site.
                  Al

Comment

• how old are the carerra you have the 2 i found have provisions for magnets in the center of the chassis. i even found the magnets to insert into them. even with the magnets there pretty bad. The provisions carerra made are very narrow so they are pretty much pointless when the drifting starts.. glueing magnets on like porscheman works, The 2002s i found have many issues. I had to add weight to the front of the chassis and i had to add a spacer to lower the guide flag about 1mm it was desloting like crazy and not tripping the lane changers. The guide flag has binding issue on these cars also when they go full lock the stopping tab tends to stick and the guide flag gets stuck at a 90 degree angle. If you run them hard they are still slower by 2 seconds per lap with the new ones unless you run without magnets... even then only the long wheelbase is stable.

magnets are not the only solution you can explore,,, if the car is drifting alot, try to add weight low down on the chassis on the sides around the rear tires. that will increase rear grip.. if the guide flag keeps poping out on turns add weight on the front of the chassis just behind the flag mount low as possible on the chassis
                    Last edited by slotcardan; 12-11-2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• The most recent chipped car is a f1 from early 2000 not sure of the year. I added weight and it still deslotted and had way to much wheel spin. Im picking up new tires for it that should help some. My avatar pic is an early camaro that is fast and handles good but is top heavy.

Randy

Comment

• is the car tipping in corners then desloting?

I know the older carrera the guide flag has WAY too much flex in it... i'm thinking about using an extra parma Guide flag i have and replacing the stock guide into the 2002 with it,, i can almost bend the stock flag shark fin to 45 degrees and it flexes back straight. the parma is nylon which is concrete compared to the original carerra piece

Comment

• The f1 car is a nice looking car but, the guide is flemsy and binds the wires. I was looking at it for ideas to machine small piece to fit in there. I f you guys come up with a design to retro fit i would be glad to machine it. 5 axis lathe will machine just about anything.

Randy

Comment

• Get a Parma guide flag and take a look at the construction the old carrera contact brushes from 2002 even look like copies of the Parma versions.

I'm going to play around with my Porsche and see what I can do.

Comment

• Holy poo poo big difference dropped lap times almost 2 seconds putting it into the range of the modern carrera I have. Much easier to control and much less deslots.

I slightly enlarged the flag guide mount to 3/16 and I had to reshape the base of the Parma guide just to prevent binding, added a 1mm spacer under the flag took maybe 10 minutes of work.

Before lap time was high 9 seconds to 10 seconds with constant deslots at the apex. Just ran a 7.9 with room to go faster.

Comment

• I have a place in town that has a huge selection of scx and scaley cars. What do you guys think of these cars? I would like to get the lemans series type cars that i cant get in carrera to chip.

Thanks Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X