This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken switch

OK first off. Hello to all... newbie here i just chipped my first non carrera car. all went well. soldered everything and car ran great. but then i decided to go back and hook up the lights. that went well too until i broke the little switch. that make it digital or analog. then i tried to jump the switch touching things i know i should not have. so now my track wont code the cars anymore. I do have back up starting tracks since i bought three sets to get more track etc. my question is. is it possible to jump the switch? and next how would i test stuff like that without putting it on the track and ruining another start track. thanks in advance. i guess this is how you learn (the hard way). Al....

Comment

• Spraydude,
      The chip can still work without the switch on it. It has 6 legs that are soldered to the chip.
      Carefully unsolder the legs and remove the switch. You will then have 6 spots on the chip
      where the legs were soldered on. Then solder two small jumpers from the middle too one of the
      outside ones. This switch is really a directional switch, so you may have to reverse the wires
      to the motor if the car runs backwards. In the picture you can see where the switch was
      and the jumpers that were added. I cut small lengths off the leads of a led light for the jumpers.
      Randy

Comment

• With the switch in the wrong position for Carrera digital (by hard wiring, for example) the car won't run backwards, it just won't run. If the switch is removed and the wrong pads are bridged, the easy solution is to swap the wires at the guide.

To test the car, I would just put a 9v to the pickups. Touch and release 4 times, and on the 4th time, the motor should go (if it doesn't go the first time). If that doesn't work, turn the battery around and try again.

Comment

• With the switch in the wrong position for Carrera digital (by hard wiring, for example) the car won't run backwards, it just won't run. If the switch is removed and the wrong pads are bridged, the easy solution is to swap the wires at the guide.
          MrFlippant is right in that case you would have to switch the guide wires, instead of the motor wires.
          Randy

Comment

• Chipping with the New smaller 26732 chip

The new Carrera Digital 132 Corvette C7.R is one of the first releases to have the new smaller 26732 chip in it.
            I bought one and opened it up to check out the new chip. Since the old 26732
            will fit in the new Vette, I removed the chip for a chipping project.
            This chip basically is the same as the old chip, but has it' legs cut off.

The top picture is a Scalextric Challenger with the old chip installed in it
            Bottom picture is a Scalextric Camaro with the new smaller chip installed.

The new chip fits in about the same space as the DPR door on these cars.

Randy
            Last edited by rtrandy; 12-03-2015, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• Scalextric '69 Camaro

Using the new smaller chip I chipped a '69 Sunoco Camaro.
              It worked pretty good, with a lot less chopping of the interior, especially since this car has a full
              Interior that is tight to the inside of the chassis.

Cut wires at plug and removed DPR connecter from DPR door. Cut holes in DPR door for sensor
              and for reversing switch.

Soldered on Carrera connectors, I don't always put these connecters on, but did on this one so if I
              make any changes it will be easier.
              Another nice thing Carrera is doing is making the lights smaller and on separate boards. I put
              a set of these rear lights in this car. I hot glued them between the body posts and tail lights.

Moved chip and wires around it get them set in place, then hot glued chip and wires.
              I had to chop off driver legs and cut a little clearance for wires to fit under interior.

Comment

• COOL! Thanks for sharing rtrandy! I can see this new chip should make a big difference.

Comment

• a lot of limitation is caused by the IR led being hard soldered to the PCB.
                  you can relocate the IR off the PCB using long wires, then you just need to drill the hole for the IR placement off center for the track IRs, all the other connections can be elongated as well. thus you can hide the PCB anywhere you want in the car since it will not be tied to PCB placement at the bottom of the chassis. as long as the car IR LED lines up with the track LED your golden.

plus you can relocated the IR more forward for a sooner lane change recognition, or later, if you place it far forward on the chassis and have a car in front of you bumper to bumper you could force the front car to lane change before you make it to the flapper. evil for racing
                  Last edited by slotcardan; 12-04-2015, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Are carrera evo cars easy to chip? I have picked up a couple for discontinued ones I want to go digital on.

Comment

• ATIS,
                      It depends on which ones you have. Digital ready ones are very easy, just unplug analog board
                      and plug in the digital chip.
                      Older cars require at least a hole for the led and you will have to solder the chip connections.
                      Front motored cars are the biggest challenge, as their is little room for the chip.
                      Which cars were you thinking of chipping?

Randy
                      Last edited by rtrandy; 12-05-2015, 05:11 AM.

Comment

• 41 wileys and 66 gto...i have a thing for American Hot Rods and Muscle cars...but I was born and raised in Detroit and my grandfather was an executive engineer for GM...so its in my blood. Lol
                        Last edited by ATIS; 12-05-2015, 06:04 AM.

Comment

• ATIS,
                          The Willy's is a digital ready car so that is an easy one. The #26732 digital chip will replace the analog board in there now.
                          They made two different GTO chassis the old one is front motored and the newer one is digital
                          ready like the Willy's. So if the bottom of the car looks similar to the Willy's, with two magnets
                          accessible from the bottom. It will use the same chip and be just as easy. If not it is the older chassis and will be a bit of a challenge.
                          The Willy's and a newer chassis GTO on the right of this picture.

Comment

• Bryan I have the early GTO front motored car with the sliding mag. The issue is the chip is mounted behind the engine so it puts it in the middle of the car rather than the front. I was concerned that the l/c wouldn't operate properly (in time) for the car to pass over but it still works and I haven't had any issues. I also mounted the chip above the driveshaft rather than under it so I put the led way off the chassis bottom. The led's must be very forgiving...

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
                              Bryan I have the early GTO front motored car with the sliding mag. The issue is the chip is mounted behind the engine so it puts it in the middle of the car rather than the front. I was concerned that the l/c wouldn't operate properly (in time) for the car to pass over but it still works and I haven't had any issues. I also mounted the chip above the driveshaft rather than under it so I put the led way off the chassis bottom. The led's must be very forgiving...

Dave
                              Thanks for this info, Dave! I never would have guessed the IR being so far back would have worked. I have 2 Monogram Ferrari Daytonas (front motor) that I assumed I never would be able to chip. Now I'll take the chance.

Comment

• Thanks Dave,
                                I knew there were at least a couple of guys that chipped the front motored GTO. I think slotcardaniel did a car
                                Like this too. But he put the chip over the guide in front. When I did a GTO for a friend I cheated and bought a
                                GTO with the newer chassis and switched the body.
                                Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X