X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rtrandy
    started a topic Cars Converted to Carrera Digital

Cars Converted to Carrera Digital

I am starting a thread for cars that have been converted to run on Carrera Digital.

It can be any car that is converted to run on Carrera Digital:
    Carrera Evolution, Scalextric, SCX, Fly, etc..

Usually it is not that hard to chip a car, but I is still nice to see examples of cars other people have done.
    The first thing I do when thinking of getting a car that is not digital or digital ready is find pictures of it to see how hard it will be to do.
    So if we share the projects we have done it will be a good resource and starting point for others to use. Everybody looks at a project differently, so we can see different ways we use to get the cars converted.
    Lets see what you have.
    Randy

Added links for help in chipping cars:

Posted by Spraggih
    Compilation of Digital Chipping Thread (as of April 2012)

Posted by OldStrombeckerGuy
    Carrera #26732 Digital Chip Template

Links from this thread and my gallery to Cars that I have chipped:

Carrera Cars:

Post #123 Ford Torino / Carrera Evolution Torinos Converted to D132

Post #189 Plymouth Cudas / Beater 'Cuda / Carrera Evolution 'Cuda's Converted to D132

Post #816 Ferrari GTC / Ferrari GTC converted to D132

Post #829 Carrera Viper / Carrera Viper Converted to D132

Post #1019 F1 Club Edition 2003 / F1 Club Edition 2003

Not posted Maserati MC 12

SCX

Post #2 SCX Plymouth AAR Cuda /

Monogram/Revell

Post #167 Monogram Corvette / Monogram Corvette Converted to D132

Post #527 Revell '67 Plymouth / REVELL '67 DODGE and PLYMOUTH STOCK CARs CONVERTED TO D132
    Post #961 Revell '66 Dodge Charger

Racer Sideways

Post #504 Sideways DP / Racer Sideways Dallara #10

Pioneer

Pioneer Charger / Pioneer Charger / Pioneer Charger To Carrera Digital
    Last edited by rtrandy; 03-01-2015, 09:40 AM. Reason: Added Links and cleaned up page a bit

• Ex Inferis
    replied
    up video, two races. One slow, other Fast! Second race with the SCX cars:

[YOUTUBE]MqIvY4JQjVk[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by Ex Inferis; 08-29-2018, 12:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ex Inferis
    replied
    Two new digitized cars. Still without lights, but I will install later.
    SCX Cars, Audi & Peugeot.

the Peugeot 908 is extremely fast and stable. Great car! Plus:
    -Removable and Adjustable Magnet
    -Guide With Suspension
    -Tilting Chassis (THIS IS SOOOOO NICE!!!)

Last edited by Ex Inferis; 08-29-2018, 07:45 AM. Reason: details

Leave a comment:

• DavinciQc
    replied
    Really no one?

Leave a comment:

• DavinciQc
    replied
    Hi everyone!

Has anyone ever solder JST connectors (small white ones) directly on the Carrera decoder board?

Option I was thinking about : Female JST connectors solder on the board and better quality wires connected with male JST connectors.

Note : Of course only if there's enough space inside the car's body.
    Last edited by DavinciQc; 08-19-2018, 05:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• truwebs
    replied
    Porsche 911 Polizei Car Analog to Digital with Lights

Okay.. my first official chipping going beyond just plugging in the new digitial chip.

This was an analog car with working "safety/emergency" lights.

My final work. Added the 26732 chip that I purchased on the Bay with lights included.

I cut the emergency light chip away from the analog chip leaving long black and red leads.
    Then cut the motor leads off the digital chip

Striped and soldered the light chip and motor leads together then soldered them back to the digital chip.

Rear lights glued in place.

Front lights glued in place.

Front and rear lights ON

Emergency Lights ON activated by Throttle. No throttle = lights OFF

Was going to try to connect the emergency lights to the light leads instead of the motor leads but not sure which were + and - for the light leads. Motor leads are marked on the chip.

Thanks for those who gave their advice on this.

TRU

Leave a comment:

• carlosinseattle
    replied
    I think that brown PCB in your analog car is different from the green board in the digital car. Since it's connected at the same place as the motor it's seeing the same voltage as the motor. It has resistors for dropping the voltage to safe levels so the LED doesn't burn out...I could be wrong about that. But it looks like it's designed to run at higher voltage than what the digital chips provide to the lights. If you plan to use that brown board then you should probably connect it to the motor wires instead of plugging it in the light leads. And if is is too difficult to solder leads from the chip you can solder them from the motor. The good thing is you can't hurt anything by trying them out on the wire leads so it maybe you can try that first. Then if they don't work you know why.

Here are some pictures of the D132 Porsche 911 Polizei Car

Last edited by carlosinseattle; 05-04-2018, 12:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• truwebs
    replied
    Originally posted by DrumPhil View Post
    On the Carrera chip, the green/yellow wire pairs are for headlights and auxiliary (roof) lights. If you wire your roof lights to one of those pairs, they will turn on/off along with the headlights when you click them on/off. That might be handy. If you wire the lights to the motor leads, they will just be on all the time that the car is going forward, and probably off when it stops (just like an analog car) unless there is a capacitor to keep them on when stopped.
    With the yellow/green pairs, which wire is pos (+) and which neg(-)?

Leave a comment:

• DrumPhil
    replied
    Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
    The parts catalogue lists the digital chip for this car as #26743. I'm not sure if the functions changed with this chip or not. I don't see why it wouldn't work as you suggested. I would think that if you attached the wires to one of the light circuits you could turn the lights on and off. You have an extra headlight connector, try connecting there.

Dave
    On the Carrera chip, the green/yellow wire pairs are for headlights and auxiliary (roof) lights. If you wire your roof lights to one of those pairs, they will turn on/off along with the headlights when you click them on/off. That might be handy. If you wire the lights to the motor leads, they will just be on all the time that the car is going forward, and probably off when it stops (just like an analog car) unless there is a capacitor to keep them on when stopped.

Leave a comment:

• dw5555
    replied
    The parts catalogue lists the digital chip for this car as #26743. I'm not sure if the functions changed with this chip or not. I don't see why it wouldn't work as you suggested. I would think that if you attached the wires to one of the light circuits you could turn the lights on and off. You have an extra headlight connector, try connecting there.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• truwebs
    replied
    Chipping Carrera Safety Car with Lights

OK.. so putting the Scalextric L88 Corvette chip project on the back burner. Very intimidating. Thought I would try something a little easier.

Need some advice on chipping a safety car.

Trying to chip it with a 26732 chip that has front and rear lights.

Safety car on the right obviously.

Here is the analog chip I pulled out of the safety car. Note the lights are connected to the motor wires.

Here is my 26732 chip. Guess I will need to cut the lights off the analog chip and solder somewhere here. My first guess is to solder along with the motor wires like it was on the analog chip?

Just want to check with you PROS before I move forward.

Car should look nice with front, rear, and top blinking on top.

Thanks for your help.

TRU

Leave a comment:

• DrumPhil
    replied
    You could find the specific post by using the "search this thread" function in the bar at the top of the thread and search for "cobra" or "daytona".

Leave a comment:

• dw5555
    replied
    Yeah over 1200 posts to go through. You would need a lot of coffee to sit through read all this. A lot of valuable info though.
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• OldStrombeckerGuy
    replied
    I have 2 front-motored Monogram Cobra Daytonas that I need to chip some day. I know there is a post in this thread somewhere showing the difficulty. That MRRC Cobra in the link above ^ is !

Leave a comment:

• dw5555
    replied
    There's 2 cars that come to mind. The mrrc cobra in the link below and Carrera's 57 T'bird. It's in the converted thread but the pics are no longer there. The T bird mounted the chip over the rear axle and remote wired the sensor to the front. The cobra is a little more straight forward but I'm not sure having the sensor so far back would be reliable. I would remove the sensor and mount it forward also.
    Dave

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ht=bird&page=7

Leave a comment:

Working...
X