Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compilation of Digital Chipping Thread (as of April 2012)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compilation of Digital Chipping Thread (as of April 2012)

I've been reading this thread for some time, and I chipped about 10 cars myself (Scalextric, MRRC, Slot.it, and Carrera Evolution). As I read this thread, I realize this thread NEEDS TO BE A STICKY (not yelling, just excited!)

Also, this thread needs a compilation, in case someone wants to get a summary of all the examples within. Here's my attempt at that... Please correct/edit as needed.

Practically every carmaker has been chipped. Within this thread there are examples of the following:

Chips
    1. 26740 - (smallest) - Basic functionality (braid and engine), no lights but I understand lights can be added, and attached to the braid wires.
    2. 26741 - Same as 26740 in function and size but includes plugs, and the led is connected by wire to the board.
    3. 26732 - (largest) - Almost all functionality (two front lights, rear lights, braid, and engine). You only need one pair of lights, so the other set of front lights can be clipped, and used as extra wire.
    4. 26741 - (largest)-- Same as 26732 in function and size but includes flashing lights connections (for police cars and the like)
    5. 26733 - (smallest)-- Essentially the same as 26740 in function and size but different shape.
    (NEW) *** Adding Lights *** (NEW)
    One poster (Scootcar50) compiled a thread on different ways to add lighting (front and rear) to converted cars. It's a great read, especially since it presents so many different options. Check it out here.

One note, er, two notes:
    1. Carrera chips are much bigger than they need to be--- assuming Scalextric performs the same functions, and their chip is much smaller. I said this just to provide information.
    2. Also, take care with the chips: they are electrical components, and need the same car as a hard drive or other delicate component. I say that knowing I provide no special care for my chips-- but I have seen ~7 chips go bad on me. At about ~$23 / chip, you see that I am rich because any fool would learn from his/her mistakes.

Easy to Difficult Cars to Chip (with full functionality [e.g., front/rear lights])
    • Obviously this depends on the car size, but, all in all, IMHO, Scalextric cars are very easy to chip due to there available space, *and* they usually include front and rear lights that can be attached using chip 26732.
    • Slot.its have a lot of space on the inside but usually do not include lights, so you'll have to add your own. Here are three posts related lighting. Post 1. Post 2. Post 3.
    • SCX are very difficult (again IMHO) because their guide mechanism is so unusual.
    • All other carmakers fall within the "extreme easy" of Scalextric/Slot.it to the "downright difficult" of SCX and MRRC (MRRC only because a number of there cars are so small-- nothing about the maker itself).
    • Also, if you are running without magnets (non-magnet), chipping smaller cars may be easier because you do not need to take up real estate with the magnet. Every centimeter helps!

Special Considerations

Special (Super) Conversions to D124/D132Information on Buying IR LEDs for the Carrera Digital Chips

While not exhaustive, and not intended to be, I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Spraggih; 04-21-2012, 02:04 PM.

Great post, thanks for the effort.

This is a great post, gathering a lot of valuable information into one post.

Adding to this would be great if possible, Spraggih let me know if your up for it

This would be a good topic to add: http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/in..._articleid=622
    Alan Smith
    SCI Owner.
    www.scaleracing.com
    www.slotcarillustrated.com
    www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
    www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Thread pinned to the top of the forum... thanks for starting and managing this topic.

Comment

Is there any way to lock this thread so it doesn't get cluttered like the last one?
        Dave

Comment

and before it gets locked (and this can be deleted after answered...)

Can differences between 1/32 and 1/24 chips be documented?

Comment

The 124 chips are larger and don't fit in the 1/32 cars.

Comment

Is there any way to lock this thread so it doesn't get cluttered like the last one?
              Can't help but feel that the thread is going to provide more answers than questions.

Brilliant effort by Spraggih, somebody should give that man a slot car!

Comment

Thanks Spraggih
                This is a great idea.

Thanks for the comment “mother or father of all chipping”

I think Al (alias porscheman, Mr Chip and Big Rig) may have passed me well and truly by now.

Cheers

Comment

Combined into one post...
                  Last edited by Spraggih; 01-18-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scootcar50 View Post
                    Thanks Spraggih
                    This is a great idea.

Thanks for the comment “mother or father of all chipping”

I think Al (alias porscheman, Mr Chip and Big Rig) may have passed me well and truly by now.

Cheers
                    Well... it's a good competition now... That Lotus example (and all I learned about what the parts of a Carrera chip do) is worth so much. Fascinating article.

Re: the slot car... Sure... I'd love that Scalextric Lotus Type 49. LOL .

I updated the thread here. I just made an update to the other thread and saw this...

Comment

Added link to SlotcarDaniel's NSR chipping.

Comment

Added a link to a step by step chipping guide with a video.

Comment

Great post! I was amazed with your compilations.

Comment

Added a link to Scootcar50's thread on lighting.

Comment

Added links to Racer slot car chips.

Comment

Working...
                              X