Cannot program cars using Carrera 2.4Ghz wireless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot program cars using Carrera 2.4Ghz wireless

I recently added two 2.4Ghz wireless controllers to my Carrera digital 132 setup but cannot get them to program cars. Binding with the wireless receiver seemed to go normally using channels 1 & 2 (I confirm channels 1 & 2 by pressing the bind button and observing the led on the controller). I'm also using older infrared controllers on channels 3 & 4, and wired controllers on channels 5 & 6. Channels 3-6 all work normally to program cars. I've tried to check the forum for a resolution on this issue but haven't found one. Does anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

The timing of the whole click, click, lift, lower, click, click sequence is very stringent. The clicks need to be deliberate but not slow. It took me some time to get to where I could program IDs consistently. It seems to be a little trickier with the Wireless+ controls than with the older Wireless.

Comment

Are you using the old black box or the newer CU (control unit). Someone help me out here, but does the BB support the 2.4 wireless?

Comment

I can't say I've ever tried Wireless+ with the BB. My gut tells me it should not matter if BB or CU. The data stream from the Wireless+ dongle is the same format as a Wireless IR oil can tower or controller extension box.

Comment

Bumpy, have you tried switching your new 2.4 wireless controllers to positions 5 and 6? Don't get me wrong, but I'm a duct tape and hammer kind of guy.

Comment

The BB does work with the 2.4 GHz controllers so that isn't the problem.

The 2.4GHZ controllers work with the Pro-X BB, Pro-X/D132 BB, and the D132/D124 BB, I have tried them all. I think the problem is with the IR wireless controllers you are using or the extension box. Which version of IR wireless controllers are you using? Are they the originals with the dip switch, or the ones with the red LED on top. They don't all play well with everything, but the details are hard to remember.

But since you are using 6 controllers you must be using the controller extension box. Which port do you have that plugged into? If it isn't plugged into the correct port it can cause a challenge.

In fact I believe it has to be plugged into either slot 1 or slot 2, and it occupies those two car ID's. Then you only have ID's 3-6 to use for the other controllers. This conflict might be at the root of your problem.

Lastly, Mickey's suggestion to try all controllers in the different ports one at a time would go a long way to diagnose the problem piece.
            Last edited by carlosinseattle; 04-03-2014, 09:29 PM.

Comment

I appreciate everyone's responses!

I'm using the new CU. According to Carrera site Q&A on this topic, the CU is compatible with all the controllers, including the ones with the dip switches. As I understand their instructions, the wired controllers must be on channels 5&6 (the way I have it set). I don't have a controller extension box because I didn't understand that was necessary. I'll do some more checking on that as well as try the other suggestion the controllers in the channels using just one at a time. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Comment

As was suggested, I disconnected all the two wired controllers on channels 5&6 and the two infrared controllers on channels 3&4 (by disconnecting the tower). I then verified the two wireless+ controllers were on channels 1&2 then tried programming cars and it worked! I then reconnected the wired controllers and verified I could control 4 cars separately. Then when I reconnected the tower, it disabled my ability to use either of the wireless+ controllers. I tried reprogramming cars on the wireless+ and had no response. I disconnected the tower once again and could use the wireless+ controllers.

So at this point I'm still unable to use all six controllers simultaneously. I'm beginning to suspect there is some incompatibility issue between the wireless+ and the infrared controllers even though Carrera says they are compatible. Of course, I could still be doing something wrong and I'm open to suggestions on what else I could try.

Thanks to all, especially to Carlosinseattle for his suggestion to hook up the controllers one at a time. I hope one day I'll have a suggestion that helps someone else.

On a positive note, I really like the responsiveness of the cars using the wireless+ vs the infrared controllers.

Comment

My understanding is that you can only use 1 wireless receiver at one time and if using corded controllers they are used as ID 5 and 6. So to get 6 controllers to work at the same time with your set up, you would need 2 more wireless+ controllers that would program to the wireless+ receiver.

Best regards,
                  Brian

Comment

I know the infrared towers need to be plugged into port 1 or 2. Don't know about the 2.4ghz. Did you try swapping the ports the two receivers are plugged into?

Worst case- if you can easily find a 6-wire phone splitter (ACE hardware generally has 'em, Lowes and HD generally do not), put it in port 1 and try plugging both receivers in there.
                    Last edited by b.yingling; 04-04-2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BSWAN72 View Post
                      My understanding is that you can only use 1 wireless receiver at one time and if using corded controllers they are used as ID 5 and 6. So to get 6 controllers to work at the same time with your set up, you would need 2 more wireless+ controllers that would program to the wireless+ receiver.

Best regards,
                      Brian
                      Brian,
                      You might be right but the Q&A at the Carrera site indicates you can use all types at the same time with the CU. I haven't had any success at getting all three types to play together.

Comment

Originally posted by b.yingling View Post
                        I know the infrared towers need top be plugged into port 1 or 2. Don't know about the 2.4ghz. Did you try swapping the ports the two receivers are plugged into?

Worst case- if you can easily find a 6-wire phone splitter (ACE hardware generally has 'em, Lowes and HD generally do not), put it in port 1 and try plugging both receivers in there.
                        I had the infrared tower in port 1 and the wireless+ receiver in port 2 but didn't try switching them. Maybe I misunderstood the instructions but my take was that it didn't make any difference as long as you used ports 1&2. After using the wireless+ controllers for a little while it might be hard to go back to using the infrared controllers. The infrared now seems sluggish while the wireless+ is just about like the wired controllers in terms of responsiveness. I may just decide to get another two wireless+ controllers at some point but for now I'm just going to leave the tower unplugged.

I really appreciate the help from you and everyone on this forum.

Comment

seems to me i recall on having the same problem (i have just taking down my track,so i cant check on it) and if i remember correctly,1st-install tower in #1,program your 2 cars,and remove them from the track. 2nd-plug in dip for ghz in #2 and leave the 2 controllers in the charging holder,while in the holder press one to active,wait for it to active,then program a 3rd car,and remove it from the track.repeat with controller #2 and program car #4 and remove from track,plug in wired controller in #5,program # 5 car and remove,plug in 2nd wired controller in #6 and program the #6 cars.seems i read that somewhere and i had all working at sametime after that.seems the tower has to be first.well anyway hope it helps,i went though the same thing well anyways good luck rock

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                            I had the infrared tower in port 1 and the wireless+ receiver in port 2 but didn't try switching them. Maybe I misunderstood the instructions but my take was that it didn't make any difference as long as you used ports 1&2. After using the wireless+ controllers for a little while it might be hard to go back to using the infrared controllers. The infrared now seems sluggish while the wireless+ is just about like the wired controllers in terms of responsiveness. I may just decide to get another two wireless+ controllers at some point but for now I'm just going to leave the tower unplugged.

I really appreciate the help from you and everyone on this forum.
                            Ok, your only choice using the mix of controllers you have is this:

Port #1 2.4GHz dongle -- Controllers set to Car ID's 5 & 6
                            Port # 2 Wireless tower -- Controllers Set to Car ID's 1 & 2
                            Port #3 Wired Controller -- Controller set to Car ID 3
                            Port #4 Wired Controller -- Controller set to Car ID 4

You might be able to reverse Ports 1 & 2, but they definitely have to be 1 or 2 if you are going to use the mix of 6 controllers you currently have. I have had mine configured this way with the older dip switch type IR wireless controllers, but not with the LED IR controllers. I skipped that generation so I've never owned the LED IR wireless controllers. Funny thing you mentioned response times of the IR wireless controllers you have being less than the 2.4GHz controllers; I remember that being something guys pointed out when they first hit the market. That's why I never upgraded to those.

Let us know how it goes, good luck

Comment

Originally posted by carlosinseattle View Post
                              Ok, your only choice using the mix of controllers you have is this:

Port #1 2.4GHz dongle -- Controllers set to Car ID's 5 & 6
                              Port # 2 Wireless tower -- Controllers Set to Car ID's 1 & 2
                              Port #3 Wired Controller -- Controller set to Car ID 3
                              Port #4 Wired Controller -- Controller set to Car ID 4

You might be able to reverse Ports 1 & 2, but they definitely have to be 1 or 2 if you are going to use the mix of 6 controllers you currently have. I have had mine configured this way with the older dip switch type IR wireless controllers, but not with the LED IR controllers. I skipped that generation so I've never owned the LED IR wireless controllers. Funny thing you mentioned response times of the IR wireless controllers you have being less than the 2.4GHz controllers; I remember that being something guys pointed out when they first hit the market. That's why I never upgraded to those.

Let us know how it goes, good luck
                              But that scenario can't work, or at least it conflicts with my understanding. If I'm wrong, tell me.

IDs for wired controllers plugged into the Control Unit are limited to 1,2,5, & 6. In order to have wired controllers use IDs 3 & 4, they have to be plugged into a Controller Extension Box, which in turn must be plugged into port 1 (or maybe 2) on the Control Unit. Since both ports 1 and 2 are in use with receivers, only 5 and 6 are available for wired controllers.

Comment

Working...
                              X