• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was my pleasure Greg.

John

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
      I share your wishes. I like how Scalextric sells track in pairs. While it might be more economical to buy in bulk as Carrera forces people to do, it's a lot nicer to be able to buy pretty much exactly what you need without a lot of leftover. That said, what slot racer doesn't end up with a pile of spare, eventually? ;-) I just got a couple boxes from a friend that should enable me to make darn near anything I want in this thread, and then some. I'll still need some borders, but he just saved me a ton of money.
      Based on size and/or length, packages of extra Carrera track are good value. However, the smallest available packages of R4 add up to over $100 with track, inside border, and outside border.

Comment

I don't suppose R4 borders come in packs of 6, do they? that's exactly how many R4 I have in my latest revision, having swapped them in for the R3s that I don't have. I guess I could just go look for a retailer... hehe...

Comment

It's the cost of the borders that ramp up the cost..might be worthwhile making borders from other materials..cork or whatever..if the design is the one that resonates but cost is prohibitive. Or sell the extra bits..people often are looking for small lots of carrera.

Comment

I'd make borders, but as my Carrera will be a temporary track for the foreseeable future, I'd like to use the OEM borders as much as possible. It's not that the cost is prohibitive, per se, I just don't like spending money I don't have to. I could sell the spare borders, but I almost certainly wouldn't recoup their real value, so would sooner put them in the boxes of track for the next use or user.

I went to an online store that sells both new borders and pairs out of packaging, and it's significantly cheaper to get them out of packaging... like, by a lot. I'm comparing a pack of 12 R4 borders at $27, to a pair at $3... which only comes to $18 for the same 12 borders. Sure, the packaged set has the end pieces, but for almost $10 more? Wow.

Fortunately, I realized I have all the R4 outside borders I need. Ironically, it's the R1/60 I need the most of, as well as a few R2/30 borders. I'll look for other prices, but it looks like I'll be doing just fine to get them from this store piecemeal.

Comment

Ah, now I see the burn... The R1/60 borders aren't available in bulk from this seller (if anywhere), and the new packs are only packs of 3 and cost $18! That's $6 PER PIECE! Wow. That's insane. I realize they're bigger than an R4/15 outside border, but not 4x bigger (as compared to $1.50 for a single piece of R4/15 outside border). Time to look for another retailer that sells borders in bulk... Bruce, don't fail me now!

Holy cow! Even the tiny little inside borders cost almost that much for a pack of three. Dang! This is like a razor blade thing, isn't it? Sheesh.
              Last edited by MrFlippant; 04-30-2015, 08:37 AM.

Comment

To quote the wise Perfesser Tom Lehrer:

"Soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life."

Enjoy your slide.

Comment

The R1/60 borders aren't available in bulk from this seller (if anywhere), and the new packs are only packs of 3 and cost $18! That's $6 PER PIECE! Wow. That's insane.

R1/60 borders are packaged as three packs. (3) 1/60 borders do a 180 turn.
                  Last edited by b.yingling; 04-30-2015, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Ah, now I see the burn... The R1/60 borders aren't available in bulk from this seller (if anywhere), and the new packs are only packs of 3 and cost $18! That's $6 PER PIECE! Wow. That's insane. I realize they're bigger than an R4/15 outside border, but not 4x bigger (as compared to $1.50 for a single piece of R4/15 outside border). Time to look for another retailer that sells borders in bulk... Bruce, don't fail me now!

Holy cow! Even the tiny little inside borders cost almost that much for a pack of three. Dang! This is like a razor blade thing, isn't it? Sheesh.
                    I believe I know of the online seller you are referring to. I too have been looking for 1/60 borders. Am resorting to searching for used on the auction site. New is just too much $ .

Comment

I'm just amazed at how much more expensive per piece the R1/60 borders are. I think I understand their logic, selling packs of borders that make 180 degree turns for the same price, almost, but the amount of plastic used is so much less that it really should be a bigger price difference than what I'm seeing.

That said, I've found what I think is a decent deal, getting 3 packs (9 pieces) for just a little over $50 shipped. I'd still be one piece short, though.

Comment

If anyone needs borders, please PM me. I've got a bunch and I'll try to make you a deal on them. I'd even offer to send mr. flip one but as kidvoltage and I found out, shipping from Va. to the other coast is crazy expensive. I've even got some odds and ends black and yellow ones if anyone's interested. About the only thing I don't have is 3/30 outside red/whites.

Comment

I believe scalextric r2 borders fit Carrera r1 on the outside.........��

Comment

Interesting. I just went out and tested that, and you're right. The radius matches close enough to hook a Scalextric R2 outer border to the outside of a Carrera R1. Cool!

Unfortunately, the Scalextric borders are significantly shorter than the Carrera track, enough that a sliding car coming back onto the track, if it survives the transition TO the border, is very likely to end up out of the slot. Also, the Scalextric border doesn't connect securely to the Carrera track, making it useless in an elevated section, and likely to get kicked away after a few laps of cars running on it around a turn.

I'd love to just slap on some R2 borders, as I do have some spare of those, but I don't think it will work out for my usage. Thanks for the idea, though!

I've contacted Mickey, and I think he'll be able to help me out. Just need to make sure my numbers are right.

Comment

What is it with borders being so pricey anyways?

Comment

Right?
                                It's a good thing there are so many awesome people that are so helpful, what with free track from friends, and cheap borders from friendly people on SCI.

Comment

Working...
                                X