No announcement yet.

Bertrand 8 starting with a Race Party set

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am aware that you can make your own and the members here are fantastic with sharing tips and ideas.

I was just asking why the manufacturers charge so much for plastic borders and barriers.

I can understand track being a bit pricey.

But to be fair I guess, Carrera's car prices are quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
      Right?
      It's a good thing there are so many awesome people that are so helpful, what with free track from friends, and cheap borders from friendly people on SCI.

Comment

With the help of generous friends and fellow sci members, I was able to put together the Carrera track layout I've been waiting to build. I switched away from the R3 turns, in favor of R2 and R4. Interestingly, I discovered that the little pillars my set came with to support the track are all but useless when you're using borders! They were made to hook into the same openings that the borders go into! How silly is that? I ended up using some wood and then just putting the pillars under the track, hoping they wouldn't fall over. I like that Carrera track is stiff enough to not need as much support as other kinds of track, but it does still need support, especially at the borders. I also discovered that if the borders aren't connected at both ends, they don't hold on nearly as well, or stay flush with the track so well. Eh, no biggie. I think I'll be making a piece of wood that will support the bridge section for when I build the track. Speaking of building... the track was a whole lot harder to lock together with the borders on... but you can't put the borders on when the track is together. Catch 22! I literally had to reach under so that I could pinch the track close enough together to get the locks to hook. WAY harder to put up and take down quickly. I can understand why people would want to avoid doing it very often with this system. And of course, the locks won't always stay locked. Grr...

Anyway... here it is in real life:

It runs exactly as I expected. IMHO, it's the perfect track for a long, narrow space (4x16 in this case). If ever I have the space to dedicate to it for a semi/permanent layout, I surely will. In the mean time, I have a few days to play before the room needs to be clear again. I've already hooked up my slot.it controller and found the control to be superior for my tastes over the thumb/plunger controllers. If I didn't have a compatible slot.it, I'd surely get a RamJet-X for this set up. Plus, mine's wireless with the oXigen and CRI stuff. It's too bad the brakes can't be adjusted from the controller. :\
        Last edited by MrFlippant; 05-11-2015, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Thank you for this candid and objective thread, MrFlippant. I believe this is very helpful to a lot of us Carrera guys and I for one am very appreciative of your posting since when I finally get to building my permanent layout I will be confined to a narrow space. Good job and thanks again!

Comment

And very nice to see the actual track. A very constructive thread all round

Comment

A selfish question..might that layout shape expand for a 18 or 20 foot space, say 6 feet wide..? The length part looks easy...adding a bit more depth? Without losing the obvious flow. It's a brilliant shape.

Comment

Certainly. I've done several versions, from big to small. at 6 feet, you might even be able to go with a 4 lane version, if you wanted to. There might be something in my Track Ideas gallery album, but if not, I probably have something on my personal web site gallery here:
                http://www.ggaub.com/cgi-bin/SlotsAl...ack_Ideas&tn=1

Comment

Very nice MrF, well thought out, always liked your Bertrand versions. This collaborative outcome from you that guy and oldstrom definitely shows how much flow one can create with the non standard curves in a rather narrow format even with the 1/24 size of Carrera track. Looks great!

Did you run the cars that came in the set or tried others as well?

Comment

I've driven the set cars, and a D132 Camaro I had, as well as a D124 I got from a friend. I also plan to put a chip in my ScaleAuto 1/24 car and run it a bit.

Comment

Greg, your are both a genius at design, and very generous of your time. That gallery is a testament .wow

Comment

Thanks, Johnny. I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, but I appreciate the compliment.

ThatGuy01 is easily the better designer. The way he can get any track system to fit any space, with or without borders, never missing the target of good flow and interesting turns, and utilizing the exact number of each kind of piece to optimize purchases is amazing.

I'd love to see more layouts for Carrera in small/tight spaces.

Hey, ThatGuy01, how about something nice in Carrera, with borders, for a table that's two 4x8 sheets in an L (12x8)?

Comment

20x6.

Comment

12x8

Comment

12x8

Comment

I've built plenty of Thatguy designs and Echo mr flippant..they rock..

Comment

Working...
                                X