X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
    just try the less is more approach.
    Originally posted by b.yingling View Post
    Agree completely. But I think a lot of us had to try things similar to this only to find that yes, in fact, less is more.
    I don't know... you could go with the too much of everything is just enough approach.

As far as marshalling... just don't crash.

I'm just kidding but it's funny how approaches vary, I have a lot of inner loops and areas that are difficult to marshal but I like a long track and you can only get so much on a table before you run out of options without looping over existing track. I also enjoy doing scenery and looping means bridges and tunnels and elevation change and I have fun with that.

I wish I had the opportunity to drive all these cool layouts these guys post. Then I'd have a more informed opinion on driving different layouts.

But I've only driven on my own track and I have fun... Ah... ignorance is bliss.

Some people advised me against things I ended up doing but the one thing I would do differently if I could do it all over again is borders. For the most part I can go back and add them but a few areas are too tight to incorporate borders and I've learned to like sliding around turns and I'd like to try some 1:24 cars.
    Last edited by DRW-FJ40; 04-29-2016, 05:25 AM.

Comment

• When I decided to go digital my choice was pretty easy. Hornby was/is in financial trouble, so Carrera looked to be my best bet.

Upgrading my existing Go track to D132 was also a factor.

It has been a couple of months already, and I have been more then happy with my choice. I have had zero problems getting the D132 decoders in my 1/43 cars, and the flexiblility it provides over 143 digital is well worth it.

I scratch build my 143 cars, but I have to say the 132 Carrera cars are robust. The recent Digital proxy had me tuning a car that came with the set I bought. So instead of going on ebay it is going on tour. These cars are really nice and I am glad I have borders on my Go track as I can run 132 cars if I wish. It was nice to be able to shake down the Porsche and get it tuned.

I bought most of the stuff from the nearest hobby center, and filled in some blanks with a direct purchase from Carrera USA which was also a great experience.

All of the above adds up to a positive consumer experience.

If Dave and Carrera are listening here are a couple of things that would make this even nicer.

1. Analog running.( I DIY'd mine and without being able to do this I would have never gone digital) Too many analog cars to run. I would not want to orphan these by going digital. A few DPDT switches and the concept of chipping each lane would make this an out of the box reality . I think Carrera would see the financial benefits of adding an analog option to their digital offering.

2.Make the electrical components available separately. Having to buy a complete pit lane set up just to replace the LC electronics is a waste of money and plastic. Also there is a segment of this hobby that has little issue with electronics or custom track building. Some routed tracks may go digital if they could buy the LC electronics. The company that makes these available for sale as parts would have a leg up on the competition. Carrera electronic parts would result in more demand for Carrera cars and decoders. I really think this is a good business case. You are already making the components. Some packaging is all that is required and you could make every single component available. So why not. It may not have a mass market appeal like GO! does, but it would certainly appeal to the diehard hobbyist. What is so wrong about reeling them in as customers. If you added a plug to the Soleniod wiring, changing these is almost plug and play and anyone could do it. It would be a blessing to the pocket book and the environment.

Cheers

Dan
      Last edited by YHR; 06-03-2016, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by YHR View Post

If Dave and Carrera are listening here are a couple of things that would make this even nicer.

1. Analog running.( I DIY'd mine and without being able to do this I would have never gone digital) Too many analog cars to run. I would not want to orphan these by going digital. A few DPDT switches and the concept of chipping each lane would make this an out of the box reality . I think Carrera would see the financial benefits of adding an analog option to their digital offering.

2.Make the electrical components available separately. Having to buy a complete pit lane set up just to replace the LC electronics is a waste of money and plastic. Also there is a segment of this hobby that has little issue with electronics or custom track building. Some routed tracks may go digital if they could buy the LC electronics. The company that makes these available for sale as parts would have a leg up on the competition. Carrera electronic parts would result in more demand for Carrera cars and decoders. I really think this is a good business case. You are already making the components. Some packaging is all that is required and you could make every single component available. So why not. It may not have a mass market appeal like GO! does, but it would certainly appeal to the diehard hobbyist. What is so wrong about reeling them in as customers. If you added a plug to the Soleniod wiring, changing these is almost plug and play and anyone could do it. It would be a blessing to the pocket book and the environment.

Cheers

Dan
        I'm listening but this has all been brought up many times.
        Analog-there won't be a digital/analog switch, i've asked many times about it.
        Internal parts-there's nearly no market for this. Most people can't solder.
        sorry to throw a blanket on this but I want to answer you directly since you mentioned me directly.

Comment

• Thanks for responding Dave.

Glad to know you have tried to push the analog idea. I still think ignoring the analog users( FACT)( edit, well not really ignoring as you have a whole line of analog products but you know what I mean about forcing people to switch to Digital rather then just creep into it knowing they can still run their analog collection), is creating an issue and holding back Digital. For those that can't solder they are forced to make a decision between the two. If I was one of those guys I would have never even looked at Digital. Analog and all my work in it would have kept me happy choosing to stay Analog, and Carrera and its dealers would not have seen my money.

All I am trying to do is point out, what I think, are shortfalls that are holding back Carrera and to some degree Digital in General

I have read it here and other places that some people have made the choice to go to the competition over the analog fact. When I built a box and chipped each lane using a decoder, I realized how simple this was to do. A little redesign on the CU,( adding DPDT switches) and Carrera could easily have a plug in module that would be as easy to add as a driver station, and satisfy all the analog guys.
          Last edited by YHR; 06-03-2016, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X