This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Track Call Button for HSSRMS

I finally got around to finishing up the USB track call button project I have been playing at for a while. I added 5 Big Red Buttons around my track that tie into a single Arduino Leonardo board that is doing keyboard emulation and plugged in to a USB port on the track PC. This interfaces with the changes Bruce did in the software after the App came out that let you use the spacebar to start and stop the race and effectively do a track call. So a press on one of my BRB's is just like pressing the spacebar. Details are in the video - its pretty straightforward - I will put together a parts list and schematic and share the code with anybody that wants to do it -

Thanks

Ed

[youtube]ng3bpOfqXpU[/youtube]

Nice work, Ed.

Comment

Very cool! Please post the details on how to wire the buttons and program the board.

Comment

Hello Ed,

that's great! It looks like I can finally have a foot switch to initiate track calls.

One question I have: does the space bar still work in parallel to initiate a track call?

Thank you!

Seb

Comment

Seb

Yes, regular keyboard still works - it's basically the same as plugging an external USB keyboard into a laptop - both still work

Here's some pics of mounting it in the project box and wiring it up

the board is powered by the USB so there is no external wall wort required

Pete

will have wiring diagram & parts list up tomorrow

will also have info on my dropbox folder where the software to flash into the board can be dowloaded.

Need to look at what I have leftover from the build/design thrash - prob have enough parts & boards to put together a couple of boxes

Thanks

Ed

Comment

foot switch option

Seb

here is a foot pedal switch from the same company that does the button switches - looks like same electrical specs and should work fine with the board

search for this at amazon Momentary-Treadle-Pedal-Switch-Footswitch/dp/B00NPZ2SIO

Ed

Comment

Great job, Ed can't wait to try it at our next big race.

Comment

Ed,

thanks for the info - foot pedal switch and Arduino are on order!

Seb
                Last edited by Rubirosa; 02-07-2016, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Arduino source/retailer

Great stuff, Ed. This motivates me to get serious again with the track. I've Googled Arduino, and I'm not clear on which board or where I would order the board from. If you also have a source for the foot switch, that would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

some more details

Attached document shows the parts I used

The board is a Leonardo Arduino - I did it with both a clone and a real Arduino Leonardo.....an Uno won't work with the code I did - it doesn't have the built in USB functionality

If you click on my name on this message and click visit homepage there is a dropbox download available for the software I did. You will need to go to the arduino.cc download section and install version 1.6.7 arduino software.

I will do some screen shots to walk through programming for those that haven't played with it

wiring is straight forward - use any combination of normally open switches wired in parallel that will short pin 5 to ground on the Leonardo board when the button is pressed.

you want to use a momentary button, not something that latches

I used breadboard jumpers to bring the leads from the board to 2 banana jacks mounted in a project box.
                    I used bellwire to all of the switches and brought them together as one lead on banana plugs that plug into the box

Pins 3 and 4 on the "green" side of the uxcell buttons are the normally open contacts

Here's a picture showing how I routed the wires to the banana jacks on the one I put in the box

Last edited by edmagner; 02-07-2016, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Much appreciated !!

Thanks for following up !!

Comment

I put some leftover extra pieces together as a package and listed it in the marketplace if anyone wants a turnkey button..

Ed

Comment

Nice work Ed!

Opinions apparently differ about using track calls. Here is a great discussion about them here :

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=91548

I think some tracks do have to have track calls because of the way a track is positioned in a room and also because of lack of corner marshalls. Our local club is also looking into something that is mentioned in the track call discussion : When there is a crash or deslot then a button is pushed that makes everyone go to a slow speed until the crash site/car is corrected. They claim this is fair for all since it is like a yellow flag situation in real racing. In any case the more input into this the better!

Comment

If this works as basically a remote keyboard spacebar button it would work with my trackmate setup. I use a small wireless keyboard as an additional stop button.

I see the bits packaged together for sale didn't last long. If I would have seen it before it sold I might have bought it.

Randy

Comment

Added foot pedal option

Here is a foot pedal switch option that will work with the USB box

Seb - this pedal was a little cheaper from Amazon than the one I pointed you to earlier

[YOUTUBE]8emYDfR1zEo[/YOUTUBE]

I've posted the info to build your own but if any wants one turnkey, PM me and we'll see what we can put together

Thanks

Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X