This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
    This would plug into the race computer through USB. I believe this is intended to use with HSSRMS. You can think of a keyboard with a limited set of buttons.
    SmartRace added code to make use of this as well- will not work with the Carrera app.

Comment

As I believe was mentioned in one of the videos, you do not have to buy the Arduino brand name. I have had success with both the Sainsmart and Elegoo brand names as well. Although, I have only purchased the Mega2560 boards. Why the other two? Just cheaper.

With that said, you may be able to use a Mega2560, Leonardo, or other "flavor" of board. Might be worth researching another "flavor" of board for the stop button if you wanted something with even a smaller footprint. Just a little more info to make the task more complex.

Comment

Hello Ed

Looks like a great feature I will need to add to my track.

Wondering if you dabbled or thought about going a step further by adding the other keyboard commands to a V2 with additional buttons for...

"ESC"
        Ends a practice session. During a race or heat, prompts user to cancel the heat w/o recording any results. In a multi-heat rotation, you may restart the heat with the same settings.

"Ctrl-Enter"
        This will provide a prompt asking if you wish to end the race early. This will record the results exactly as they currently stand on the race screen.

#1-8
        This will add a lap to ID#

Shift #1-8
        This will subtract a lap from ID#

Ctrl #1-8
        When using a CU as powerbase, this will assess a penalty on the ID#.

Spacebar
        If you are using a CU as powerbase which has a firmware version of 3.30 or later, this acts the same as pressing the 'Start' button on the CU.

Dbl-Click
        If you double click any ID's status bar you will be asked if you want to reset the information for that ID. Replying 'Yes' will set that IDs lap times and lap totals back to their starting values of '99.999' and zero. If you reply no, and you are using a CU as your powerbase, you will be taken to a screen where you can adjust the maximum Speed/Brake/Tank values for the active IDs.

Right Click
        If you right click anywhere on the Race Screen, it will bring up the local popup menu. From there you can assign a penalty, cancel the race, end the race early, and, if you have a CU with firmware v3.30 or later, you can raise the start lights to pause all the on track cars.

I have not yet gotten into assessing penalties as it seems it would be challenging to race and manage the keyboard at the same time. As with the space bar BRB, some other functionality could be made easier.

This could be a neat master controller
        https://www.amazon.com/Black-Acrylic...arcade+buttons

Thanks for sharing. Hope to integrate this sometime soon. Just a matter of me prioritizing all the things on m want to do list.

TRU

Comment

BRB Call Button and Signal Light

Wondering if anyone has integrated a signal light with the BRB as show in this CincySlots video?

https://youtu.be/vlKQPnYF3lI?t=1m21s

If so... wiring diagram available?

Would like to do the BRB setup. May as well throw the light into the circuit as well right?

TRU

Comment

The track was mine before taking it down due to a move - the beacon on this track was wired through a relay board, controlled by Bruce's software/PC. I don't have a wiring diagram and I know, that Bruce/software doesn't support the relay board feature anymore.

Best bet is to ask Ed, if he can think of a solution via his track call Arduino controller solution, unless you know how to program an Arduino....

Cheers!

Seb
            Last edited by Rubirosa; 03-29-2018, 07:46 PM.

Comment

The event that is inside the CU that is exactly timed to turn on a track call beacon is the far LH LED light on the start bridge. I have an idea how to drive that up to 12v to turn on a beacon. It would require tapping in to the LED circuit to detect when that LED is turned on. I've looked at it on the scope - 2 things I learned is an approximate wave form for the LED enable and that circuitry is very sensitive to hanging external stuff on it...at some point I will get back to the experiment using the 2nd LED from the left

Cheers

Ed

Comment

Ed,

Thanks for jumping back in on this thread.

Have you thought about possibly integrating a 3v or 5v relay into your BRB/Arduino circuit?

TRU

Comment

Originally posted by truwebs View Post
                  Ed,

Thanks for jumping back in on this thread.

Have you thought about possibly integrating a 3v or 5v relay into your BRB/Arduino circuit?

TRU
                  It wouldn't be a big deal to add a relay to the board - the trick is what do you use for a signal to trigger a track call beacon. The button press is just an input and you have no idea if the track call is actually active - a spacebar input from the master keyboard or remote device would not be visible to the Arduino - if you turned a relay on or off based on simple logic that said turn it on for every other press, it would be easy to get out of sync. My idea of pulling a signal off from the LH LED on the start bridge has merit but would not necessarily have to be integrated into the arduino - a standalone circuit and relay would work just as well.

Cheers

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by edmagner View Post
                    It wouldn't be a big deal to add a relay to the board - the trick is what do you use for a signal to trigger a track call beacon. The button press is just an input and you have no idea if the track call is actually active - a spacebar input from the master keyboard or remote device would not be visible to the Arduino - if you turned a relay on or off based on simple logic that said turn it on for every other press, it would be easy to get out of sync. My idea of pulling a signal off from the LH LED on the start bridge has merit but would not necessarily have to be integrated into the arduino - a standalone circuit and relay would work just as well.

Cheers

Ed
                    Thanks Ed. Just thought there was a possibility to have the button send both the space bar signal and 3 or 5 volt current to a relay. Since I do not have a start bridge will probably go with a stand alone circuit for the light.

Comment

Added Relay board and Beacon to track call box

[YOUTUBE]oUiC2A2kH-c[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Ed,

Thanks for taking the time to figure this out and integrate! I actually just bought that same light from Amazon with the intentions of having an independent circuit with for the light.

Have you updated your code and wiring documentation to include the light and relay? If not, please do so. This will be my next project to for sure.

On my way to Amazon to buy my buttons!

TRU

Comment

As mentioned in earlier post. Code was written for Arduino Leonardo. Will not work with Uno.

Tried with a Mega2560. Will not work with that board either.

Just received my Leonardo clone for only $12.49. Code loaded uploaded no problem. Now time to move on to the wiring.

TRU

Comment

Where's Ed?

Anyone heard from Ed? Hoping to get the updated code to implement the beacon light.

Hope he is well.

TRU

Comment

Work In Progress BRB beacon relay code

Arduino code sketch is at my homepage - left click on my name in this post.

file is called USB_Keyboard_Spacebar_Beacon_Relay_WIP_5.ino

use at your own risk - still a work in progress - it's a quick mix of a couple different chunks of code

attached is a pdf with some documentation & pics below

Last edited by edmagner; 04-20-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Ed,

Thanks! Hope to get time to work on it this weekend. I hope!

Check your PM soon. Going to message you something related to this.

TRU

Comment

Working...
                                X